(Model MF) Remodeling the Model M (aka.. the Mara)

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

12 Aug 2017, 19:50

Also putting shelf liner material or other damping materials into the case to cut down on resonance.

DMA

13 Aug 2017, 03:28

Techno Trousers wrote: IIRC, we have the proven floss mod, DMA's dab of silicone on the flipper, and some unproven theories about possible barrel modifications.
On the BARREL. Putting it on the flipper will make flipper heavier, changing everything. Also it will unstick pretty quickly from all that vibration and you'll have lots of silicone beads inside your keyboard :)

As for "how's everyone" - I joined the ranks of Facebook 3 weeks ago, trying to drink from bootcamp firehose. CS is proven to be repeatable on $10 off the shelf protoboards, hostside utility still misses the macro editor (firmware has online-updatable macro support, but you need to manually edit binary config files to use it :) )

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

13 Aug 2017, 04:28

Ha ha, wow, I got that one wrong. I went back to the original thread, and I see where I went wrong. It's on the underside of the barrel, where the flipper will hit it on the upstroke. Here's the original thread linked for reference:

viewtopic.php?t=16550

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

13 Aug 2017, 05:25

DMA wrote: CS is proven to be repeatable on $10 off the shelf protoboards, hostside utility still misses the macro editor (firmware has online-updatable macro support, but you need to manually edit binary config files to use it :) )
I can't wait to build my Model MFs with CommonSense controllers. I could edit binary config files, but I'd prefer ASCII files.

drevyek

13 Aug 2017, 11:08

DMA wrote: As for "how's everyone" - I joined the ranks of Facebook 3 weeks ago, trying to drink from bootcamp firehose. CS is proven to be repeatable on $10 off the shelf protoboards, hostside utility still misses the macro editor (firmware has online-updatable macro support, but you need to manually edit binary config files to use it :) )
I remember you mentioning interviewing places, congrats on the new position!

Great to hear that CS is so well developed. On resumption of the GB, it sounds like the turn around for production of CS would be minimal. Fantastic news.
Techno Trousers wrote: IIRC, we have the proven floss mod, DMA's dab of silicone on the flipper, and some unproven theories about possible barrel modifications.
I know the floss mod, have been using it for a while now. Until the MF goes through, I'll have a go at the silicon mod on my M, though it might be a bit too much on those short flippers. I'll also get some felt to stuff the case, and maybe something for the barrel plate, we'll see. It'll be interesting to see just how damped we can get it.

gianni

03 Sep 2017, 11:24

Sorry to say something at this stage, but would it be possible to make the plates compatible with xt barrels? Is the only difference in the position of the pin, which in AT is at 4 o' clock, while in xt is at 6? This could be interesting because xt replacements cost less.

drevyek

03 Sep 2017, 13:16

gianni wrote: Sorry to say something at this stage, but would it be possible to make the plates compatible with xt barrels? Is the only difference in the position of the pin, which in AT is at 4 o' clock, while in xt is at 6? This could be interesting because xt replacements cost less.
Don't worry- it's already in the designs. Take a look at some of the renders on the first post of this thread: the pegs are all pointing out at the bottom a la XT.

I'm not sure how it will eventually go down, but when it was originally set up, there was an option to purchase barrels etc in the GB, as opposed to requiring you to source your own.

fohat
Elder Messenger

03 Sep 2017, 14:51

As far as I know, all of the "revival" projects accommodate both "side buttress" alignment tabs (AT/122) as well as the "vertical stud" (XT/Bigfoot) type.

xTek

07 Oct 2017, 12:50

Just dropping by.. What stage is this currently in? :D

fohat
Elder Messenger

07 Oct 2017, 15:42

Limbo for the foreseeable future.

Hopefully not permanent.

E TwentyNine

09 Nov 2017, 21:02

Monthly bump, awaiting exit from limbo, hope all is well LL.

lot_lizard

09 Nov 2017, 21:23

E TwentyNine wrote: Monthly bump, awaiting exit from limbo, hope all is well LL.
It’s been a struggle on this end to be honest. Some ups and more downs. I really don’t want to go into too much detail, but I do wish I still had the emotional strength of a 6 year old (she’s a trooper).

I really shouldn’t announce this yet, but we will be initiating the re-commencement of our buy a little more properly. We have a proper site to place orders going forward. The code is from the ground up, and will include some charts (our friends at JFreeCharts), etc... but the idea is to create a site where anyone can facilitate a proper group buy without any commission from us (each drop has a unique owner and PayPal collector). It’s 70% (no products or drops yet) there if anyone wanted to take a peek and provide feedback. The subscription bit is fully functional if you wanted to sign up. The concept is to be a DT partner (allowing you to apply your handle in the cart on checkout), and provide discounts based on validated membership levels if applicable. In our case, it will be extremely similar pricing to the original buy if you participated (I have the list ;))

https://mfdrop.com

Khers

09 Nov 2017, 22:29

I got an error trying to sign up, and now I can't access the page, but instead get greeted by the same error message until I flush cookies. If I try to sign up again, I get the same error and the process is repeated.

Error says:
Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function getDeskthorityUser() on null in /home/mfdrop5/public_html/app/model/user.php:116 Stack trace: #0 /home/mfdrop5/public_html/index.php(39): User->populateUserGoogleOAuth(Array, Object(DB)) #1 {main} thrown in /home/mfdrop5/public_html/app/model/user.php on line 116

lot_lizard

09 Nov 2017, 22:34

try now if you would...

derzemel

09 Nov 2017, 22:36

lot_lizard wrote:try now if you would...
It works now. Thank you LL!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

lot_lizard

09 Nov 2017, 22:38

derzemel wrote:
lot_lizard wrote:try now if you would...
It works now. Thank you LL!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
:)... good deal

Thanks Khers... finally SOMEONE in life that knows how to report a problem and actually provide a proper stack trace without probing. You must be a developer?

Khers

09 Nov 2017, 22:49

Works! Thanks!

I’m pretty far from a developer, however ;)

depletedvespene

10 Nov 2017, 12:57

lot_lizard wrote: https://mfdrop.com
I like the "MF" initials. ;-)

82d28a

10 Nov 2017, 19:36

I like the site! Are the stickers really for sale. I apologize if someone already asked.

lot_lizard

10 Nov 2017, 23:39

depletedvespene wrote: I like the "MF" initials. ;-)
Appreciate. Graphic designers we are not, but manage to bumble into some reasonable ideas along the way. Credit DT and Matt3o as original inspiration
82d28a wrote: Are the stickers really for sale. I apologize if someone already asked.
Right now they are just a placeholder for cart testing (PayPal sandbox). We have ~30 items to eventually list as part of the storefront when life rights itself on this end. Several vintage boards, parts, and other inspirations that need new homes. All things outside of the original MF project. The hope is others can leverage as well. Again, it is essentially a PayPal collector for anyone that we trust to run buys or sell individual items

depletedvespene

11 Nov 2017, 02:04

lot_lizard wrote:
depletedvespene wrote: I like the "MF" initials. ;-)
Appreciate. Graphic designers we are not, but manage to bumble into some reasonable ideas along the way. Credit DT and Matt3o as original inspiration
So, can I order one? In red? In blue? :mrgreen:

Wingklip

12 Nov 2017, 07:10

Comrade, glad to see you back again! I hope time is the only thing between now and production :)

Got like 8 Model M's ready for full restoration and conversion to F class, all that's left is this wunderwaffe to complete the nuclear device

xTek

11 Feb 2018, 12:59

@lot_wizard Could you drop a VERY ROUGH estimation date on Phase 2?
You don't have to be accurate, we won't take your word for it, I am just curious to when we could expect it to happen.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

12 Feb 2018, 01:13

xTek wrote: @lot_wizard Could you drop a VERY ROUGH estimation date on Phase 2?
You don't have to be accurate, we won't take your word for it, I am just curious to when we could expect it to happen.
Many of us are still waiting patiently for completion of phase one. I think any estimates about phase two will have to wait until then.

Hypersphere

17 Feb 2018, 00:15

lot_lizard wrote:
E TwentyNine wrote: Monthly bump, awaiting exit from limbo, hope all is well LL.
It’s been a struggle on this end to be honest. Some ups and more downs. I really don’t want to go into too much detail, but I do wish I still had the emotional strength of a 6 year old (she’s a trooper).

I really shouldn’t announce this yet, but we will be initiating the re-commencement of our buy a little more properly. We have a proper site to place orders going forward. The code is from the ground up, and will include some charts (our friends at JFreeCharts), etc... but the idea is to create a site where anyone can facilitate a proper group buy without any commission from us (each drop has a unique owner and PayPal collector). It’s 70% (no products or drops yet) there if anyone wanted to take a peek and provide feedback. The subscription bit is fully functional if you wanted to sign up. The concept is to be a DT partner (allowing you to apply your handle in the cart on checkout), and provide discounts based on validated membership levels if applicable. In our case, it will be extremely similar pricing to the original buy if you participated (I have the list ;))

https://mfdrop.com
@lot_lizard: I've been away from the forums for a long time due to personal matters and work obligations. Just now checking in again. Still very interested in the F-SSK project if/when it resumes. Thanks.

elecplus

17 Feb 2018, 01:41

I chatted with lot-lizard this week. He said sometime in the the next few months he hopes to become active again.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

17 Feb 2018, 05:25

elecplus wrote:I chatted with lot-lizard this week. He said sometime in the the next few months he hopes to become active again.
That's great news, I appreciate you posting it, Cindy. He'll be welcomed back with open arms whenever he's ready.

snoopy

28 Feb 2018, 08:59

my most awaited project. Really hope to see lot_lizard back soon

green-squid

28 Feb 2018, 09:46

I really hope this will become an affordable option so that we can ALL have a good IBM without a bolt mod! :)

My suggestions are:

put a small smiley face on the PCB and the names of the designers to make it less boring :)
Attachments
hjjhhh.jpg
hjjhhh.jpg (27.73 KiB) Viewed 10822 times

green-squid

01 Mar 2018, 21:47

Bump

Return to “Workshop”