Repurposing a Psion MC400 keyboard

scottc

13 Jul 2016, 11:11

Hello everyone!

As I mentioned in the "stuff you just bought" thread, I recently got a nice, but very broken Psion MC400 laptop. Fortunately, the keyboard is absolutely pristine and feels fantastic. This thread will be an interactive exhibit of a strange man trying to reverse-engineer a keyboard for the first time.

The Psion MC400 is a British-made laptop from 1989. With apparently less than 1000 units made, this is a really cool collection piece. Of course, since it was 1989, no expense was spared and the keyboard is a G80-1600 manufactured by Cherry.

The keyboard is beautiful. It looks like the original MX 60%, and even has arrow keys! The keycaps are nice, thick Cherry doubleshot, but more grey than the normal Cherry keycaps so they can't really be mixed-and-matched with them. The switches are vintage MX clears -- which, I have to say, are really quite nice. I don't even normally like MX clears very much!

Here's a shot of it alongside my blue Alps Alps64 board:

It's basically an ISO HHKB with arrow keys, guys! How cool is that?!

Since the laptop itself is probably beyond my repair skills, I've decided to repurpose the keyboard.

Step 1: Exposing the matrix!

Thankfully, the keyboard is connected to the mainboard via an 18-pin ribbon cable. This should make accessing the matrix pretty easy, and I don't need to reverse-engineer any weird 1989 protocols.

Here's a close-up of the ribbon:

The ribbon is connected to the keyboard's PCB via a ribbon connector, meaning that this ribbon should hopefully be pretty easy to replace with something that gives me access to the pins for reverse-engineering the matrix (wow, that last part sounds really cool without context).

This cable looks like a good fit, but I have yet to check pitch etc:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/39240900 ... 4495b56aa0

More info as I have time to do it!

scottc

13 Jul 2016, 11:12

Reserved :shock:

scottc

Reserved :shock:

scottc

Reserved :maverick:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

13 Jul 2016, 11:13

IMA SO JELLY

scottc

13 Jul 2016, 11:19

:maverick:

Stabilized

13 Jul 2016, 11:23

Are you planning to design a case for it if you get it working?

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

13 Jul 2016, 11:31

Pretty sure it could fit in any 60% case with the help of a Dremel.

scottc

13 Jul 2016, 11:47

I'm going to design a new case. It won't fit in a normal 60% case, the PCB is too big! I'd rather not modify the original PCB and I have no idea how I'd route the ribbon cable from the front of the PCB and still fit it in a case.

Plus, I want a nice HHKB-style case covering the places without switches!

HzFaq

13 Jul 2016, 14:52

Nice work, looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

I was thinking of doing something similar but the up arrow/right shift position drove me up the wall (plus, my unit works and I didn't really want to kill it) so decided to keep the unit whole and just use the caps on my GH60.
edit - Actually, looking at it I think that's the FaceU I sold...

What sort of condition is the rest of the case in? Mine has a chunk out of it, if you're willing to let it go I might try and use it to repair mine :D.

scottc

13 Jul 2016, 16:01

That looks so nice! If all else fails, I'll just do what you did. I'm keen to give the arrows a go, I think they look really cool where they are, especially with the up arrow bump... we'll have to see how usable it is though. :D

scottc

13 Jul 2016, 22:13

Anyone have any idea about the connector?

I completely missed your comment about the case, Hz. If I can't get the laptop working I'll gladly give you whatever parts you need.

zedstarr

20 Jun 2022, 00:46

just managed to get a USB-MC400 keyboard working thanks to Frank Adams' Teensyduino sketch - the MC400 keyboard matrix is unique in that the On/Esc key has 2 dedicated lines (i.e. not shared with any other keys) to ASIC2 which is the custom chip that handles power on/off for the MC. Of the 18 pins in the connector it's a 9x9 matrix but with 2 pins dedicated to On/Esc it's 8x8 for the other 60 keys. This confused Marcel's python so I had to hack it around considerably to get it working!

video of USB-MC400 keyboard in action!
(Apologies, slow one-handed typing whilst holding the phone in the other hand :-) )
IMG_20220619_105826_895.jpg
IMG_20220619_105826_895.jpg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 1686 times
My Teensy LC sketch is here.
Full keyboard matrix, including the case-mounted supplementary buttons (Task/Del/Home/End/PgUp/PgDn/LCD/Rec):
Screenshot from 2022-06-19 21-50-17.png
Screenshot from 2022-06-19 21-50-17.png (38.96 KiB) Viewed 1686 times

Return to “Workshop”