IBM M15 ergonomic buckling spring + artisan space bars

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

12 Dec 2016, 04:16

Finally, XMIT036 with the new, working replacement caps!
XMIT036_2.jpg
XMIT036_2.jpg (127.59 KiB) Viewed 2638 times
XMIT036 is one of my IBM Model M15 buckling spring ergonomic split boards. Here's how it looked before this project.
XMIT036_1.jpg
XMIT036_1.jpg (91.81 KiB) Viewed 2638 times
As you can tell, it is missing the left half of the Space bar. (In this photo the ball mount on the right half is also broken. I've since fixed this with 3M DP460 epoxy.)

Fortunately, I also have XMIT035, which is a complete board.
XMIT035_1.jpg
XMIT035_1.jpg (88.35 KiB) Viewed 2638 times
So, I thought, why not cast a new replacement Space bar set?

This project sat on the back burner until this week. I had a business trip. Through the geekbnb network on Geekhack :)) I connected with the incredibly awesome ImpendingxDoom who let me crash on his couch while I was in Chicago.

Now, I've had some experience with silicone mold casting, but Doom takes it to the next level. He's had almost two years of experience doing two sided molds, while I've barely done one single sided mold. We got some great results! These are not even the best ones...
doom_1.jpg
doom_1.jpg (242.78 KiB) Viewed 2638 times
doom_2.jpg
doom_2.jpg (218.12 KiB) Viewed 2638 times
doom_3.jpg
doom_3.jpg (203.49 KiB) Viewed 2638 times
doom_4.jpg
doom_4.jpg (102.34 KiB) Viewed 2638 times
If Doom gets a chance he'll run some black and red Space bars for me!

Does anyone know where I can find some 1.25mm stainless steel wire, to fabricate a better replacement stabilizer for the left Space bar? I managed to jury-rig something using an old paper clip (1.12mm) and some Kapton tape to increase wire diameter but I'd like to do better.

ohaimark
Kingpin

12 Dec 2016, 06:02

How do those keys feel in comparison to the rest of the 'board?

Glad you had a good time up North.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

12 Dec 2016, 14:37

They're "good enough". Not a perfect fit but the right one (with the original stabilizer wire) is good enough to be a daily driver if I want it to be. The left one (with my own paperclip + Kapton tape stabilizer) works well enough, and works best in response to a centered press. I never use the left thumb when typing so this is not really a dealbreaker for me.

I know you have an M15. Anyone else? If we ask really really nicely Doom might be willing to make some more for us.

For me, this was a round two proof of concept for replacement ANSI Enter keys for Space Invaders boards. Engicoder and I were talking about making TKL boards with those switches using a new PCB.

wcass

12 Dec 2016, 17:12

XMIT wrote: .... Does anyone know where I can find some 1.25mm stainless steel wire, to fabricate a better replacement stabilizer for the left Space bar? I managed to jury-rig something using an old paper clip (1.12mm) and some Kapton tape to increase wire diameter but I'd like to do better.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#89085k84/=15fridg

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

12 Dec 2016, 17:28

:D Thanks! I was having trouble finding a local supplier for these. I've got a bunch of other boards that need replacement stabilizers.

ohaimark
Kingpin

13 Dec 2016, 00:21

I don't think I'd be interested in a silicone molded space bar. If it ever gets upgraded to a more precise mold, I might be in for a set in black or red.

That doesn't mean I won't keep a close eye on your results, though.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

13 Dec 2016, 03:26

I should amend that. The fit is really quite good. The space bars are only a little warped because a rubber band was used to keep the mold together. With a little tweaking we'll keep getting perfect parts!

litster

13 Dec 2016, 05:52

Very cool. I have an M15 and luckily it is in excellent shape. If you need to make your own wire, here is a video of how I made cherry stabilizer wires. Should be similar process if you want to make them for the M15. Additional information is in the text below the video.

ohaimark
Kingpin

13 Dec 2016, 09:05

In that case... Yeah, I'd be interested in a red set. Going for the Russian special edition at this point with the Cyrillic caps (which just arrived) and red Lexmark logo. :lol:

Return to “Workshop”