Connecter Choices?

pomk

13 Mar 2017, 21:18

The 10000 cycles is for the receptacle. The cable side is always designed to break first, as replacing cables costs next to nothing anyway.

andrewjoy

14 Mar 2017, 01:01

codemonkeymike wrote: It doesn't break it just gets loose and looses connection, it should be noted that I plug and unplug it about 4x a day. So maybe more like 400 disconnects in 100 days.

ahh, i disconnect at most 3 times a week

Sigmoid

16 Mar 2017, 11:22

I'm using a mid-range MDP to DP cable bought off of Amazon to dock my Macbook Pro, disconnecting and connecting almost every day, and it has been holding up for two years now without issues other than the plastic cover on the plug coming off (nothing some super glue won't fix).

Though I personally frown upon the misuse of specialized, standard connectors for custom implementations. Add one trusting idiot, one cable, and one device implementing the standard, and you'll probably end up with 'mondo damage'. There are plenty of use-case independent connector standards such as the DIN and mini-DIN family to choose from...

andrewjoy

16 Mar 2017, 11:44

You will always get some muppet plugging the wrong thing into it.

I hate it when they use a VGA port as a breakout for XLRs or something on a sound card.

I hate all the different connectors.

Why we could not have just stuck with BNC for everything is beyond me .

SDI is a single BNC and can do what HDMI can do at least up to 4k

S-Video, component composite can all use ( and they do on pro gear) BNC , so why with the RCA crap.

RGBhv ( VGA ) can use BNCs RGBs already does use BNC

Audio could use BNC no problem so why do we have 2 different sizes of headphone and then mono and stereo versions of each and then we have speakon and XLR and a multitude of other crap.

BNC for everything i say.

Ratfink

16 Mar 2017, 15:33

Okay, let me know when you figure out how to do SuperSpeed+ USB with Power Delivery and DisplayPort simultaneously over a single BNC connector. Then I'll be behind you 100%.

pomk

16 Mar 2017, 15:34

But a single BNC is not enough unless you are into 1-wire stuff! You need at least a power input as well.

BTW, as long as you use the pins in the mini-DP connector wisely, you won't end up frying anything even if it ends up being connected to something it's not designed to connect to.
Ratfink wrote: Okay, let me know when you figure out how to do SuperSpeed+ USB with Power Delivery and DisplayPort simultaneously over a single BNC connector. Then I'll be behind you 100%.
Pending power delivery I see no problem with this.

andrewjoy

16 Mar 2017, 17:55

Ratfink wrote: Okay, let me know when you figure out how to do SuperSpeed+ USB with Power Delivery and DisplayPort simultaneously over a single BNC connector. Then I'll be behind you 100%.

Use 2 BNCs :)

vvp

16 Mar 2017, 19:32

Go for CAN and some dirt cheap 4 pin directional molex.
Most CAN transceivers can handle ±170V and with a few (zener) diodes and resettable fuses you can idiot-proof even the power delivery
... and still you will not need to modulate data signal over power delivery wires to be able to use only one BNC :-D

Return to “Workshop”