Compact Buckling Spring - It's Alive!! (IBM Wheel Writer)

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

17 Mar 2017, 20:06

I have been in need of a new keyboard since moving into my new office and decided to dig through my collection in storage a couple of weeks ago. Nothing really got my attention except my Bulgarian IZOT/Pravetz board which is way to massive. So I decided to build a compact custom based on a Pravetz-82 I found online and have some extra switches on the way for that project.

Fast forward to this week and I was back sorting through some storage items and came across my old Wheelwriter2 and realized that the keyboard on it was fairly close to what I was looking for in layout and size. So I harvested the keyboard and now have a new project. I still plan on doing the Pravetz build,(I prefer linear switches) but this seems to be a more efficient means to an end for the time being. As an added bonus I now have a lot more shelf space with the WheelWriter gone.

I haven't decided on a controller yet but will make a few layout changes, I would like to use the left hand function keys for a navigation cluster, left hand enter, Esc, control, and alt keys. I will also put together a custom compact case as well.
Attachments
wheel writer.jpg
wheel writer.jpg (861.96 KiB) Viewed 6634 times
Last edited by rsbseb on 31 May 2017, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.

orihalcon

19 Mar 2017, 18:25

The Xwhatsit Model F controller will work with this FYI since the number of columns and rows does not exceed what the controller has. Have tested it myself. Also works on SSK's too. There are other options too of course, just not sure if that is something that came to mind or not to consider :)

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

19 Mar 2017, 23:02

orihalcon wrote: The Xwhatsit Model F controller will work with this FYI since the number of columns and rows does not exceed what the controller has. Have tested it myself. Also works on SSK's too. There are other options too of course, just not sure if that is something that came to mind or not to consider :)
I'll need to look into it. My initial thought was to hack a controller out of one of the many rubber domes I have around and use it. I but would rather have something programmable (I know nothing about Programming), in order to set up a few macro keys. Thanks for letting me know there's a proven solution. I honestly haven't followed up on controller developments because it outside my skillset.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

19 Mar 2017, 23:31

Now that I think about it some more, salvaging a production controller from an existing board wouldn't work because I cant hand wire the individual membrane switches. Xwhatsit Controller ordered, Thanks

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

28 Mar 2017, 21:44

Alright, I have a Xwhatsit controller in my possession now and have started reading through some of the documentation to get my head around it and have tried searching the forum for some clarity but am not finding any references to using an Xwhatsit on anything other than model F capsense.

Since the Wheel Writer key board I have is in fact a model M based membrane keyboard, did I just pull a Homer Simpson with the Xwhatsit? If not I could certainly use a little guidance.

Wingklip

29 Mar 2017, 06:48

Orihalcon what manner of a scam is this XD

Are you saying an xwhatsit works with membranes too?

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

30 Mar 2017, 02:18

Wingklip wrote: Orihalcon what manner of a scam is this XD

Are you saying an xwhatsit works with membranes too?
Enquiring minds want to know.... :?

orihalcon

01 Apr 2017, 06:11

You will have to forgive me for how terrible the video is (and the fact that you can't actually see the screen), but here's my first SSK that I basically just wired the Xwhatsit to. Only way for me to really prove that there's an Xwhatsit in there in the video is that the solenoid requires one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYIDDoRS25Y

The model F Xwhatsit will work with anything that has 16 columns or less and 8 rows or less whether that be regular switches or membrane included. SSK's and wheelwriters fit the bill as far as membranes go.

I did make a post a while back detailing how I also converted an Apple M0110 the same way which just uses the older style ALPS. If you scroll all the way down to the last post, you can see the insides of the SSK in the video above as well:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69394.0

Keep in mind that there is no NKRO for regular switches unless you use diodes. Since you can't add diodes to membranes, you're stuck with 2KRO, but that's all Model M's have to begin with anyway :)

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

01 Apr 2017, 17:44

orihalcon wrote: You will have to forgive me for how terrible the video is (and the fact that you can't actually see the screen), but here's my first SSK that I basically just wired the Xwhatsit to. Only way for me to really prove that there's an Xwhatsit in there in the video is that the solenoid requires one.

The model F Xwhatsit will work with anything that has 16 columns or less and 8 rows or less whether that be regular switches or membrane included. SSK's and wheelwriters fit the bill as far as membranes go.

I did make a post a while back detailing how I also converted an Apple M0110 the same way which just uses the older style ALPS. If you scroll all the way down to the last post, you can see the insides of the SSK in the video above as well:

Keep in mind that there is no NKRO for regular switches unless you use diodes. Since you can't add diodes to membranes, you're stuck with 2KRO, but that's all Model M's have to begin with anyway :)
Excellent! Thanks for the link to the thread over on GH regarding the use of standard contact switches with the Xwhatsit. I have my Keyboard all broke down for cleaning and a bolt mod, so I will move forward with the Xwhatsit.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

02 Apr 2017, 01:36

Found all this nastiness under the keycaps. There were even fingernail clippings stuck in there, yuck.
Attachments
dwdirty.jpg
dwdirty.jpg (236.66 KiB) Viewed 6312 times
Last edited by rsbseb on 02 Apr 2017, 03:17, edited 1 time in total.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

02 Apr 2017, 01:45

All cleaned up and taken apart. I found that there are missing contacts under the right shift and backspace keys which I was planning on splitting. After looking at it the traces cross in the proper locations and think it may possible to add contact pads to the membrane with some silver paint. If anyone has any experience with this approach I'd love to hear how it worked out.
Attachments
barmem.jpg
barmem.jpg (257.13 KiB) Viewed 6315 times

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

04 Apr 2017, 06:40

So here's the layout I'm considering for this project. It's a bit unorthodox but should fit my typical daily use pretty well.
Attachments
kbdww.jpg
kbdww.jpg (63.76 KiB) Viewed 6278 times

Wingklip

04 Apr 2017, 06:46

Seems like someone doesn't play games :)

Wingklip

04 Apr 2017, 06:47

orihalcon wrote: You will have to forgive me for how terrible the video is (and the fact that you can't actually see the screen), but here's my first SSK that I basically just wired the Xwhatsit to. Only way for me to really prove that there's an Xwhatsit in there in the video is that the solenoid requires one.

Can't add diodes to membranes? I don't think you're trying hard enough ;)

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

04 Apr 2017, 07:10

Wingklip wrote: Seems like someone doesn't play games :)
You pegged it, I'm definitely not into games. ;)

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

07 Apr 2017, 04:42

So here's a version with a few oversized caps to fill in the gaps and a 6u spacebar to bring some symmetry to the bottom row.
Attachments
wwtr3.PNG
wwtr3.PNG (167.78 KiB) Viewed 6197 times

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

11 Apr 2017, 01:18

I have as Wheelwriter keyboard that is bolted modded and ready to roll with phosphorglow's replacement Model M controller, I just have procrastinated on modifying the firmware for some time now. Phosphorglow's replacement Model M controllers that works with a Wheelwriter, I just have to modify the firmware and it should work fine. I even have the steps for modifying the firmware, but like I said, I'm being lazy.

codemonkeymike

12 Apr 2017, 19:29

I see you split the left shift, is it also possible to split the right enter? It looks like there is a pad under each the stabilizer barrel.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

12 Apr 2017, 21:40

codemonkeymike wrote: I see you split the left shift, is it also possible to split the right enter? It looks like there is a pad under each the stabilizer barrel.
Actually left shift , right shift, and back space are split.

Splitting the enter would be very easy.

Right shift and backspace are a challenge because there are missing contact pads on the membrane. I plan on adding them myself since the traces are already in place.
Last edited by rsbseb on 31 May 2017, 05:02, edited 1 time in total.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

25 May 2017, 06:40

Needed a break from everything else I've got going on and pulled the Wheel Writer off the shelf this evening and mapped out the matrix. I still need to come up with a case for it but am kicking around the idea of trying to add another row to the function cluster on the left side of the board. It would be an interesting hack to do so but probably not worth the effort. For now I'm pleased with the progress made tonight. Rows are lettered, Columns are numbered.
Attachments
WHEELWRITER MAP.JPG
WHEELWRITER MAP.JPG (71.97 KiB) Viewed 5990 times

orihalcon

26 May 2017, 19:05

Another nice thing about the xwhatsit is that you don't technically need to do any mapping of the matrix beforehand as long as you know which are rows and which are columns for wiring purposes (with membranes it's usually obvious as rows are one membrane and columns the other.

When you are about to assign key mappings, just press the key you want and it will light up in the matrix, then pick from the drop down menu what you want the key to be :)

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

26 May 2017, 20:36

orihalcon wrote: Another nice thing about the xwhatsit is that you don't technically need to do any mapping of the matrix beforehand as long as you know which are rows and which are columns for wiring purposes (with membranes it's usually obvious as rows are one membrane and columns the other.

When you are about to assign key mappings, just press the key you want and it will light up in the matrix, then pick from the drop down menu what you want the key to be :)
That's good to know. I haven't delved into the controller documentation yet. Mapping made for a relaxing evening nonetheless.

MrDuul

26 May 2017, 21:46

Interested...

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

30 May 2017, 01:02

Got the membrane headers hacked off the original control board this evening, still have some cleanup to do on it. Now I need to decide how I am going to mount everything so I can start soldering the appropriate connections to the new controller.
header1.jpeg
header1.jpeg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 5896 times

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

30 May 2017, 03:43

Here's the header all cleaned up and ready for wiring. I could use some help locating the pinout for the Xwhatsit if someone could point me in the right direction. My documentation is for the model F and isn't real clear and there are no numbers on the board itself indicating what is what.
header2.jpg
header2.jpg (335.05 KiB) Viewed 5881 times

DMA

30 May 2017, 06:36

wait, you're using xwhatsit on the membrane keyboard? Why not teensy or something other more convenient? There are normal electrical contacts, after all..

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

30 May 2017, 07:52

Mainly because it's what I have on hand and I've already got my head around the configuration interface at this point. There may be some other more efficient options but I'm ready to just get this thing operational and ready for testing some SBS caps.

orihalcon

30 May 2017, 18:51

Pin outs are labeled in one of my pictures in the post here:
keyboards-f2/success-displaywriter-beam ... playwriter

Hope that helps!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

30 May 2017, 18:55

rsbseb wrote: All cleaned up and taken apart. I found that there are missing contacts under the right shift and backspace keys which I was planning on splitting. After looking at it the traces cross in the proper locations and think it may possible to add contact pads to the membrane with some silver paint. If anyone has any experience with this approach I'd love to hear how it worked out.
I've used silver paint for Model M membrane repair before, not new pads, but it has worked great. I prepped the surface with isopropyl alcohol, applied the silver paste (use extremely sparingly, a little goes a long way), and let it try either overnight or however long the package said to let it dry.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

30 May 2017, 23:41

It lives !!! Thanks for the help guys, the controller fired right up and I have most of the keys programmed. I altered my connection plan and will follow up with some more pictures and details later on. I still have a lot to do but it lives and I'm ready to go forward with making a case and adding the contact pads or the missing keys. :D
membrane 1.jpeg
membrane 1.jpeg (132.08 KiB) Viewed 5788 times

Return to “Workshop”