P77 - The TKL Pingmaster

Mattr567

27 Jul 2017, 04:07

Wingklip wrote: I managed to make my own using a pro micro and some ancient DB9 Cable I had.

But seriously though, the paint rubs off using alcohol? unheard of
Yeah :roll:

Mattr567

27 Jul 2017, 07:15

Threw on some keycaps and yeah :o

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

27 Jul 2017, 07:19

Very nice with the keycaps mounted, but don't show us more of your hands Mattr567. :maverick: AND you got your WANG in that one picture also. :o :lol:

Mattr567

29 Jul 2017, 01:49

Received converter today. After loading the firmware, the P77 PCB works great! :) Tomorrow the cutting happens ;)

Today I did some finishing touches on the case - mainly enlarging the hole where the speaker volume control goes so it fits correctly.

Mattr567

30 Jul 2017, 01:38

As a quick update I got individual pictures of every jumper wire I will have to make, so im now at the stage where i'm ready to cut it :shock:

That's going to happen tomorrow though :lol:

just_add_coffee

30 Jul 2017, 16:26

seebart wrote: Very nice with the keycaps mounted, but don't show us more of your hands Mattr567. :maverick: AND you got your WANG in that one picture also. :o :lol:
On the bright side, at least he didn't show us pics of him handling his Wang. His long, elegant fingers competently stroking the keys, caressing the modifiers ... :lol:

I've had great luck filling in gouges and gaps with this stuff. Knead it, press it into the problem area, sand it, and paint.

Mattr567

31 Jul 2017, 05:08

just_add_coffee wrote: On the bright side, at least he didn't show us pics of him handling his Wang. His long, elegant fingers competently stroking the keys, caressing the modifiers ... :lol:

I've had great luck filling in gouges and gaps with this stuff. Knead it, press it into the problem area, sand it, and paint.
Lmao :roll:

My gaps are already filled with the epoxy.

Mattr567

31 Jul 2017, 05:14

HUGE UPDATE!!!! :o :shock:

It works! 8-) Need to fine tune it some more but most of the keys work, some dont. Particularly 0-9 on the alphas. I haven't checked any of my wiring yet, need to clean it up but the first plug in it fired right up! :twisted:

Initial cut:

Wiring:

So happy it's just not "dead" and I ruined the PCB or something :lol:

just_add_coffee

01 Aug 2017, 20:21

Awesome! I ruined two PCBs doing far, far less than you did. So congratulations on that part also!

Mattr567

02 Aug 2017, 04:46

Guess what guys?! :D

Im typing to you on the P77!!!!! Just the guts of it on my desk with no case. Now fully functioning!

The one issue I still have to solve is that Num5 and Num9 team up, I think this might be because of the wiring, ill have to figure this out tomorrow.

But once this is done, and the case is painted, ill pretty much be good! :o I dont want to stop typing on this thing :lol:

Wingklip

02 Aug 2017, 05:49

Noice!

Make sure you sand that case with some 4000grit sandpaper to finish, has to be perfect!!!!!!!1

THAT"S AN ORDER

Mattr567

02 Aug 2017, 22:50

Wingklip wrote: Noice!

Make sure you sand that case with some 4000grit sandpaper to finish, has to be perfect!!!!!!!1

THAT"S AN ORDER
I went up to 2000, feels pretty smooth.

As a mini update I got all the final bugs worked out, everything works as it should. I plugged the speaker in and it is absolutely obnoxious!

Right now have it in the bottom part of the case. Did some cable management. Will be painting the case this weekend. I mapped a base layout, but I think I will be making some changes to it. Particularly the backspace situation.

Im also typing on it right now :lol:

Mattr567

05 Aug 2017, 22:26

Finished product!!! :D

Some final cable management, all fits in perfectly ;)

For future reference I can put up an album of all the connections you need to make in order to do this mod :)

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

05 Aug 2017, 22:45

Very nice, if the shipping to Europe where not more than the keyboard itself, I would also already own one.

Wingklip

06 Aug 2017, 08:52

Now I want to paint mine grey :( lol

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

06 Aug 2017, 22:25

Looks great, with that grey it the indy P77 now. I'd never chop mine though even if I had the skills.

Mattr567

31 Aug 2017, 06:54

Thanks XMIT! :o

Wolf123rt

31 Aug 2017, 07:43

Mattr567 wrote: Thanks XMIT! :o
Where did you get those keycaps from?

Chyros

31 Aug 2017, 13:11

Nice. That is a good keyboard ^^ .

just_add_coffee

31 Aug 2017, 21:48

Maybe it's the lighting, but that looks like a warmer grey. In any case, it looks really nice!

Chyros

31 Aug 2017, 23:26

just_add_coffee wrote: Maybe it's the lighting, but that looks like a warmer grey. In any case, it looks really nice!
Industrial grey always looks better in person than it does on photos xD .

Jesseg

16 Nov 2020, 11:31

old thread, but what a monstrosity of a project

Return to “Workshop”