Replicating Nixdorf keys

indrora

25 Apr 2017, 23:49

After letting go of my last mech keeb (a deck compressed layout) I discovered Nixdorfs. after seeing them and kinda lusting over them, I thought "Wait, the keys are likely just as popular as the switches!"

I then thought "I have OpenSCAD, I can make them myself!"

This is what I have so far for 1u:

And a 1.5x:

Lined up all pretty:

full album

Stabilized

26 Apr 2017, 10:28

Those look pretty cool, but how are you going to produce a finished keyset? From what I understand it includes making entirely new moulds for each key, which will no doubt take a while to develop and fund!
Alternatively you could look at the Devlin Q-series keycaps, they remind a bit of the general look of the nixie keys:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

26 Apr 2017, 19:18

Haven't seen the nixie caps on a custom keyboard ever :(

indrora

27 Apr 2017, 06:11

Stabilized wrote: Those look pretty cool, but how are you going to produce a finished keyset? From what I understand it includes making entirely new moulds for each key, which will no doubt take a while to develop and fund!
Alternatively you could look at the Devlin Q-series keycaps, they remind a bit of the general look of the nixie keys:
I saw them, but they look more DSA-like than Nixdorf's Softkey style. I think the big point behind Nixdorf's keys were they're almost the standard high-profiles but with the spherical wells.

As for production, I'd like to (eventually) just run a test set of SLA printed ones, then maybe pitch them to matt3o, etc? If enough people are interested, maybe a full run for fun?

Stabilized

27 Apr 2017, 12:58

Oh yeah, they do look a lot different. I just assumed they were essentially square sided DSA style caps. I haven't seen them being used on a custom board either, I would be really interested to what you end up making!

indrora

27 Apr 2017, 19:15

They're challenging because of the three (!) different heights: one for keys, one for the side/numpad and then another for the top special row. Getting my hands on originals seems like a fool's errand, too, because everyone seems to go for the switches, then ditch the caps.

indrora

28 Apr 2017, 04:26

Wodan wrote: Haven't seen the nixie caps on a custom keyboard ever :(
If I had a set of them, I'd totally be up for giving them a run on the Ergodox I'm going to build soon.

shreebles
Finally 60%

08 May 2017, 18:06

I have a bag of caps from this keyboard, german ISO, yellowed and quite worn. If you're interested...?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

08 May 2017, 22:08

Nice nixie keycap picture indrora! :ugeek: :mrgreen:

Return to “Workshop”