My wooden trackpoint TKL beast

pfoff

30 Apr 2017, 14:25

Wow, finally finished it. My first custom build! It was made possible by this great community and my friend Sami, who is incredible when it comes to improvisation! We did that all without buying anything new and most of the tools we use are either vintage or cheap discounter quality. It was a lot of fun and learning on the way! Especially the trackpoint mount got somewhat tricky...
I used parts from metals mx13 build in my trackpoint handling functions, incredible work, that he had done there. The trackpoint now works great and I can adjust sensitivity with hotkeys. Absolutely great! And the wooden corpus make it sound great!-))) Trackpoint buttons also are clicky and fun to use, work so much better than on any of my ibm/lenovo trackpoint boards! The keycaps are a funny mixture of some qpad remainders, Cherry G80 caps and a Vortex Spacebar, not perfect yet, but I hope to find some better alternatives soon.
I am looking forward to use that beast this week a lot to see, what we'll have to improve but first test(thist post) seems to work great for now!-)
Spoiler:
Front with keycap mix
Front with keycap mix
DSC_6406.JPG (255.25 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
Woodback
Woodback
DSC_6401.JPG (315.96 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
Last edited by pfoff on 30 May 2017, 23:26, edited 3 times in total.

Engicoder

30 Apr 2017, 17:11

matt3o had an excellent thread on building your own keyboard using Hasu's TMK
workshop-f7/how-to-build-your-very-own- ... t7177.html

mlongval

16 May 2017, 22:04

Wow! Very nice.
Congrats.

scottc

16 May 2017, 23:57

Wow, nice project! You should speak to Wodan, he just got a load of Cherry doubleshots with a hole cut in GHB to allow for a trackpoint.

just_add_coffee

17 May 2017, 00:34

To me, the rounded corners kind of give it a 1970s feel. I can dig it! :)

Return to “Workshop”