Let's learn Electronics together!

just_add_coffee

15 May 2017, 18:44

I don't know electronics and it seems like knowing electronics would be a nice thing to have for aspiring keyboard scientists.

And maybe there are enough of us here who feel the same way that we can choose a common curriculum and to have a study group.

I've been looking for a beginner-level, thorough, well-organized, and video-based course and I've found a few candidates. I believe that courses that include projects and hands-on items are superior to merely passive activities such as reading and watching someone else do something. I'm still looking, but here are some to consider:

1) CodeNMore
Lots of material so far, but it has been two months since the last video. The final project seems to be an 8-bit computer. The creator is enthusiastic and engaging and the YouTube playlist is free. I wish there was a separate discussion area because YouTube commenters cause cancer.

2) Basic Electronics for Arduino on Udemy
Very thorough. Udemy has been my go-to source for programming and web dev courses. Udemy frequently has sales, so if this course isn't $10 for you right now, check back in a few days. The instructor covers the recommended materials to have on hand and it looks to be quite a bit of stuff. Udemy instructors are generally (but certainly not always) responsive in lecture discussions. I feel like this course might be the most compatible with learning about keyboard controllers.

3) Basic Electronics Course
Recorded classroom lectures. Lots of videos. Free. The 40-second intro at the beginning of each lecture is a bit annoying.

Coursera has at least one course that looks interesting, but their courses aren't free and I'd rather a course that lets students go at there own pace.

Anyone have any other recommendations? And who else is on board?
TMYK.jpg

just_add_coffee

18 May 2017, 15:05

I now own a breadboard.

I'm still trying to decide on the digital multimeter. I don't mind paying extra for quality and a great warranty, but the prices that I've seen for Fluke is testing that resolve.

pomk

18 May 2017, 23:22

Don't bother with fluke unless you need to do some definitive measurements. For example the cheap ones from batronix are more than sufficient and are made out of quality components.

On their site they list very clearly the actual resolution of their instruments and based on those you can decide if it's important for you to spend 2-8 times as much for the fluke logo.

elecplus

19 May 2017, 02:12

Check your local pawn shops. I got my Fluke there for $21, NIB.

Zombimuncha

19 May 2017, 11:19

Thanks for this. Just posting so I can find the thread more easily when I have some spare time :)

just_add_coffee

19 May 2017, 15:26

pomk wrote: Don't bother with fluke unless you need to do some definitive measurements. For example the cheap ones from batronix are more than sufficient and are made out of quality components.

On their site they list very clearly the actual resolution of their instruments and based on those you can decide if it's important for you to spend 2-8 times as much for the fluke logo.
I had read some online "guides" and the consensus seemed to be that the Fluke models were more accurate and better regarded by the pros. And Amazon reviews seemed to back that up.

Just starting out, I'm sure I don't need top-of-the-line, but I also don't want to wish I spent a little more a year or two down the road. But yeah ... unless I find an amazing deal on a Fluke in a pawn shop or a yard sale, I should probably pass.

Engicoder

19 May 2017, 23:13

This is the best book I have ever found for self learning electronics:

Practical Electronics for Inventors

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

20 May 2017, 15:25

For the very basics I'd start with Forrest Mims' book on electronics, a timeless classic. Practical Electronics for Inventors is as good next step. Eventually you'll want a copy of The Art of Electronics.

just_add_coffee

20 May 2017, 17:07

Thank you for the recommendations. A coincidence ... I actually have Practical Electronics for Inventors in my Amazon cart already!

If either of you all really know electronics, have average speaking voices, and can crack a joke every now and then, I think there's a vast market for an electronics video course. I wouldn't think that $9.99 per month or like $60 per year for access would be out-of-line either.

beltet

28 May 2017, 14:40

For multimeters I would go for UT139C by Uni-T if you have low budget. Otherwise Brymen, the BM235 or BM869S. Depending on your budget.
Fluke seems really good but THE model(87) for electronics is really pricey... Fluke seems to best suited for those in the field and need a more sturdy multimeter. See this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ ... buy-fluke/

I'm in the progress of learning more myself and will buy this book, it seems to be really good quality book:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/052180 ... eva_mobile

YouTube channels I regularly look at is(sorry for no links, I'm on the phone):
Eevblog
Great Scott
Ben Heck
All of them have electronics basics that you can have a look at.

I quite "recently" also bought a rigol oscilloscope (DS1054z) that you can hack and get a really decent scope for the money. I bought it on AliExpress 11.11 sale and got a real good price(ca. 300$).
Otherwise batterfly has a good bundle I would have bought if I had not already bought the oscilloscope. Because the soldering station is one of my next purchases:
http://www.batterfly.com/shop/bundles/b ... 54z-fx888d

For power supply I decided on buying parts on AliExpress
http://s.aliexpress.com/IBfU3MRj
http://s.aliexpress.com/i6JRbYb6
Together with an old laptop charger. Works well.

As I wrote before I'm in the progress of learning myself and is not a electronics genius, but I have read quite much on equipment that is good an priceworth. Will follow this thread aswell and hopefully will learn much aswell.

EDIT: Humble Bundle sometimes have book kits with Make books and such for a good price. Myself like real books better but you can't get that amount of books for that price anywhere else.

just_add_coffee

31 May 2017, 00:49

I had already gotten the multimeter late last week. It packs a lot of features for the price point and the instructions are actually readable and useful, which was important to me.

I'm a bit nervous about ordering more expensive electronic components such as an oscilloscope via Aliexpress or from China on Ebay because I don't know how reliable a seller would be regarding the warranty, getting what I ordered, etc. I know from experience that Amazon does an amazing job regarding these things. But if I could overcome my worries, there are some awesome-sounding deals on Aliexpress!

I've been studying Practical Electronics for Inventors for the last few days. Definitely thorough and rigorous, and it's written like a college-level textbook. But I regret getting the Kindle version because I can't embiggenate the diagrams.

Mr.Nobody

07 Jun 2017, 07:46

Arduino Teensy is a must...I am thinking of learning some...

Wodan
ISO Advocate

07 Jun 2017, 08:08

Just get MAKE: Electronics (the book) and you're set.

just_add_coffee

07 Jun 2017, 21:54

Mr.Nobody wrote: Arduino Teensy is a must...I am thinking of learning some...
I highly recommend the Udemy course I posted earlier and the same instructor's comprehensive Arduino Uno course, which covers everything from the very basics to the Arduino IDE and programming to using a large variety of different devices with it.

Slom

07 Jun 2017, 22:13

I really need to look into this! I have the feeling that I now have gathered the knowledge needed to convert my micro switch board, but I just don't understand it.

Like at the really basic level:
I have inputs of -12V +5V and GND, does that say that I have to put a 12V battery between -12V and GND and a 5V battery between GND and +5? That kind of stuff ;)

just_add_coffee

07 Jun 2017, 22:20

Slom wrote: Like at the really basic level:
I have inputs of -12V +5V and GND, does that say that I have to put a 12V battery between -12V and GND and a 5V battery between GND and +5? That kind of stuff ;)
I might've asked a similar question a week or two ago. But the answer is no. It's saying you have the option to use either a 5V or a 12V source. The circuitry can accommodate for either, and then pass through the required voltage to the rest of the components.

Return to “Workshop”