Alps specifications

Minskleip

17 Feb 2011, 18:17

Does anyone have the footprint specifications for Alps?

Also, which boards are good for harvesting Alps switches? It would be cool to change the XMs in my Minitouch for better ones.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

17 Feb 2011, 18:22

DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED.

Minskleip

17 Feb 2011, 18:26

Yes I know you want to :D

Are the size and pins different too, not just inconsistent colours etc?

kidchunks

17 Feb 2011, 21:41

I wanted to do this at one point. My choices would be blues or white complicated dampened ALPS as from the various responses of those who have actually done the mod. You can get damps from a apple extended II and blues from didjamatic (if he still has them). I may end up selling the board(couldn't get passed the layout) so if you're looking for one to kill, let me know.

Here is a pasted convo I had with chimera from GH.

Kidchunks:
How hard was it to mod the switches?

Chimera:
It's not hard. The toughest part is prying up the tabs and not damaging the contacts. Get a $10 or so desolderer from radioshack with the red bulb. Those work great. Use the desolderer to clean as much of the solder away, keep the heat on, then use a sharpened flathead screwdriver or knife to pry the contact up while it's still hot. Stripping an entire 105 keyboard usually takes me no more than 30-60 minutes.

Kidchunks:
Did you also mod the F row? I saw on some of the siig mods that it shouldn't be done.

Chimera:
No, don't mod the f row. They have special switches in them that only depress 3/4ths of the way, and fit the keystems where normal ones won't. I've modded all 7 of my minitouches and always leave that row.

Chimera sure loves his minitouches! :lol:

Pylon

17 Feb 2011, 22:25

If you want brand new Alps, Solidtek's KB-6600/ASK-6600 uses Fukkas (Type 1 clicky simplifieds) and goes for $44. People don't like it though because of the L-shaped enter, but you could theoretically harvest switches off them just fine.If you want to harvest some complicated whites off a used board, then possibly the Focus FK-2001.

You could theoretically also get complicated whites and simplified blacks too by buying a Dell AT101W (complicated blacks) and the aforementioned KB-6600 and swapping the leaves and springs (whites and blacks have different springs).

Minskleip

17 Feb 2011, 22:56

Thanks guys, I'll have these boards in the back of my head and do some recon :D

webwit
Wild Duck

17 Feb 2011, 22:59

Where is Ripster when you need him? I always redirect all Alps questions to him.

Alps experts

sixty
Gasbag Guru

17 Feb 2011, 23:00

I suggest real ancient white or blue ALPS. None of the clones get close imo, including the Fukka. That is all advice I can give you, I ignore ALPS mentally.

Minskleip

17 Feb 2011, 23:07

I've only tried XMs. They're fun, but mine are not uniform and they're a bit hard at the top. I use them for gaming so I don't use up the HHKB.

What about the pin placement etc? Would it be possible to have a PCB with option for both Alps and Cherry? Or would it look like cheese?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

17 Feb 2011, 23:10

I believe I have seen it done before, but its not gonna work out for a proper full size board since stabilizers and such work differently.

There is this guy who builds midi controllers for audio guys, his PCBs fit pretty much everything you throw at it:

Minskleip

17 Feb 2011, 23:15

That does look like cheese indeed. Maybe I should consentrate on one thing first. Thanks!

EverythingIBM

20 Feb 2011, 20:23

sixty wrote:I believe I have seen it done before, but its not gonna work out for a proper full size board since stabilizers and such work differently.

There is this guy who builds midi controllers for audio guys, his PCBs fit pretty much everything you throw at it:
Did you just say MIDI controllers?!?!

What I'd love is a few buckling spring midi controllers, that would be fantastic. It would be great to customize controllers for my synths...

microsoft windows

21 Feb 2011, 18:55

One problem I've found with harvesting ALPS switches out of old keyboards is that they can be worn out and not feel the way they're supposed to.

keyboardlover

21 Feb 2011, 19:42

I thought you were happy just posting at GH?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

21 Feb 2011, 19:45

Windows runs the world, apparently.

Return to “Workshop”