Ghost key strokes on Apple AEK

chip chop

04 Jul 2017, 00:25

Hi, I am new to the "hands on" side of mechanical boards and have a issue with a AEK. Got this Salmon AEK in the post via ebay shipped from America to the UK (urgh). It was pretty poorly packaged.

When I press the number "3" or the letter "w" I get a "x" straight after (3x wx etc) and when I press the x I get three or four x's..... space bar is internitent.

If it was a UK seller I would just bounce it straight back, but with the distance I thought I would ask for any advice before sending back or cracking it open for a PCB short or dirt etc. I've popped the offending caps and nothing obvious to be seen.

I've tested the imate and cable with a AEKII and that all seems fine so it must be the AEK.

Advice welcome!

zool

04 Jul 2017, 18:25

could be a short on the column, but could also be something like a crack in the pcb(not fun). pop it open and post some pics of the pcb.

chip chop

20 Jul 2017, 10:25

Sorry for the delay, I was doing battle with ebay about the repackaging their agent did for trans-shippment before opening it up.

There where some deposits on the underside of the PCB, no sign of any cracking or dry joints. So gave the PCB a good clean all over, also a loose hairpin spring had been running round the bottom of the case, possible PCB track scratching?

Either way the fault persists, I will have a look at the switches as some point, but its only a Salmon board so... I picked up a M0116 Orange Alps to tide me over in the mean time.

zool

23 Jul 2017, 05:40

chip chop wrote: Sorry for the delay, I was doing battle with ebay about the repackaging their agent did for trans-shippment before opening it up.

There where some deposits on the underside of the PCB, no sign of any cracking or dry joints. So gave the PCB a good clean all over, also a loose hairpin spring had been running round the bottom of the case, possible PCB track scratching?

Either way the fault persists, I will have a look at the switches as some point, but its only a Salmon board so... I picked up a M0116 Orange Alps to tide me over in the mean time.
try opening X switch, pull the contact switch plate out. and see if you get the same problem. If it is that switch that is giving you problems ...

Wingklip

23 Jul 2017, 10:42

Are you converting it with a 1k pull up resistor from VCC to Data line?

Try Hasu's firmware? Or are you already using it?

Return to “Workshop”