Anyone ever repaired a beamspring keycap before?

just_add_coffee

18 Jul 2017, 23:48

I've got some ideas, but none of 'em are good ideas.

DiodeHead

19 Jul 2017, 08:26

green stuff, what modelers use to sculp miniatures and such, take somo old keys you dont want and break them, then try to reapear them with the green stuff, also i heard bondo is also a good option for this kind of repairs.

hope it helps :)

Scottex

19 Jul 2017, 11:03

sweet jesus that plate looks SICK
As DiodeHead said, the modeling crap used for warhammer miniatures should work
Also you could buy a cheap ibm typewritter and replace the stem with a dremmel and some glue

MrDuul

19 Jul 2017, 11:23

How did you turn plate green?

just_add_coffee

19 Jul 2017, 15:27

I'm using green vinyl wrap for the plate there. But because the beamspring switches are so tall, once the case goes back on, it's almost impossible to see.

I've used Kato Polyclay before to make a replacement ear for a Model F leg and making a replacement for the missing keycap pieces is easy enough. It's strong stuff, but it's reliably securing it in position that I'm unsure about.

Maybe reinforcing the new piece with copious amounts epoxy behind it will suffice?

orihalcon

20 Jul 2017, 17:04

For the record, your spacebar is not broken. It is supposed to look like that on a displaywriter :)

MrDuul

20 Jul 2017, 18:00

just_add_coffee wrote: I'm using green vinyl wrap for the plate there. But because the beamspring switches are so tall, once the case goes back on, it's almost impossible to see.

I've used Kato Polyclay before to make a replacement ear for a Model F leg and making a replacement for the missing keycap pieces is easy enough. It's strong stuff, but it's reliably securing it in position that I'm unsure about.

Maybe reinforcing the new piece with copious amounts epoxy behind it will suffice?
Green vinyl, nice good idea!!!

just_add_coffee

20 Jul 2017, 18:10

orihalcon wrote: For the record, your spacebar is not broken. It is supposed to look like that on a displaywriter :)
Oh. Thanks!

I actually don't understand how this spacebar is supposed to work. The funky stabilizers didn't seem to exert any upward force and seemed otherwise unnecessary, so I left them off. That, and they were ugly, like that silly Caps Lock pusher-back-upper-rod.

just_add_coffee

20 Jul 2017, 18:16

MrDuul wrote: Green vinyl, nice good idea!!!
It's pretty easy also.

But what isn't easy: Vinyl wrapping the case. I couldn't get it to adhere to the inside corners of the keywell, and it would loosen and interfere with the corner keys.

I was really hoping that I could vinyl wrap the case since I can't exactly match the case color, and it would make it all pretty without the permanence of paint.

orihalcon

22 Jul 2017, 07:48

just_add_coffee wrote:
orihalcon wrote: For the record, your spacebar is not broken. It is supposed to look like that on a displaywriter :)
Oh. Thanks!

I actually don't understand how this spacebar is supposed to work. The funky stabilizers didn't seem to exert any upward force and seemed otherwise unnecessary, so I left them off. That, and they were ugly, like that silly Caps Lock pusher-back-upper-rod.
They basically are there for stabilization and alignment purposes, so I think you'll need to add those back on. Making a video on how to remove and reinstall the Displaywriter spacebar is on my to do list :)

just_add_coffee

22 Jul 2017, 17:20

orihalcon wrote: Making a video on how to remove and reinstall the Displaywriter spacebar is on my to do list :)
What a coincidence! Watching your video on removing and reinstalling the Displaywriter spacebar is on MY to do list. :D

Return to “Workshop”