Paints...

rich0d

24 Dec 2011, 18:38

On the final stage of modding my keyboard, I went out and bought the following paint today http://goo.gl/IW900 looks really good, although - I'm not sure it's the right stuff, as on the under side of the keyboard I gave it a little scratch with my nail and the paint came off - I was hoping that this stuff would be the kind of paint which seeps into the plastic and is permanent, but it would appear it isn't, unless it takes ages to dry in..

Any ideas of what to do if it isn't the right stuff? Give it a good scrub with a brillo pad or sand paper and get it all off then get another batch of paint and hope for the best?

trax

24 Dec 2011, 20:42

You got this rit dye iMav posted on GH.
Not sure if it comes off, but Im pretty sure you can print over it (red + blue wont be purple but blue)
Last edited by trax on 25 Dec 2011, 01:21, edited 1 time in total.

Findecanor

24 Dec 2011, 22:52

You sprayed it and scraped it today?

I suspect that vinyl dye spray would contain some strong solvents which softens the plastic to allow the dye to seep in. Maybe some of that which you scraped off is actually plastic from the case itself.
Ordinary spray paints and some types of adhesives are known to soften plastic and previous layers of paint. The solvents need to evaporate, which takes time. Ordinary spray paints take at least 24 h to fully cure and the temperature and humidity can also significantly affect the curing time. I would not paint in a drafty garage on a rainy day unless I can do it near a heat source. If I were you, I would let your keyboard sit for a few days before testing the surface again.

Did you follow the instructions on the can, to the letter? With some paints, if you had not shaken the can properly, you might have got the pigments but not the solvents, or the other way around.

rich0d

25 Dec 2011, 00:00

Yeah - today, I'll give it a while before I try it again, I'm a bit new to painting stuff, the last time I held a can of spray paint was when I was 13 and painting RC cars. :)

I just hope it does cure and meld in with the plastic, as it looks so awesome right now - it'll look even cooler when I get a red esc (got one on it's way!) on it. :)

nanu

25 Dec 2011, 01:41

Unless you maintain a clearcoat on contacted surfaces, even Rit dye will go away in time. I do have an uncanny ability to corrode, however.

After a year it began to fade, and here it is currently, in blurry detail to do everyone a favor.

rich0d

25 Dec 2011, 02:21

The rit went on fine, it's the paint I'm worried about - but from what Findecanor said, it might be ok - I just have to be patient with my mods. :)

Topre Enthusiast

26 Dec 2011, 15:17

Nice setup, nanu.
I'm planning on creating some wristrests from ebony in future. Got any tips? :D

ripster

27 Dec 2011, 04:19

You might want to see this post on that Rit Dye permanence thing.....

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?2499 ... post478155

I'm not a fan of paint for the same reason.

Return to “Workshop”