Just bought a Pingmaster

lancre

15 Oct 2017, 18:08

I'm starting my next project which is to convert a Pingmaster to USB.

I bought one of the 15 or so remaining Japanese Pingmasters from Mendelson's on eBay. I'm in the UK so I paid the 50 quid postage.

I don't feel bad about it because I have decided to only buy vintage boards if they are NIB. My last NIB vintage board purchase was the NMB RT8255C+ I showed off in the Spring. So my purchase rate has been quite low recently.

I'm writing this so I can update the thread with pictures when I receive the board, and to ask questions about the mod if I have any.

I don't like to modify keyboards at all if I can help it (I did end up replacing the switch on the space bar on the NMB because it was hilariously heavy). So I don't want to start desoldering chips and so on. (I can convert it without desoldering chips - is this correct?)... so anyway, wish me good luck!

lancre

15 Oct 2017, 21:06

What does the DB9 plug look like on the inside if you unscrew it? I wonder if the Pro Micro can actually live inside the body of the plug if the connector were removed, then the original wires could be hooked up to the Micro - it might look quite tidy instead of it being held in another enclosure.

OldIsNew

16 Oct 2017, 04:05

I used a DB9 breakout board for mine but others have used the cord wires directly to the microcontroller board. Just_add_coffee's thread on this page has lots of info for both for the internal and external solutions. If you haven't seen it it's just a few threads down:

workshop-f7/converting-an-ibm-pingmaster-t16109.html

lancre

11 Nov 2017, 18:27

Keyboard has arrived, switches are just amazing. I mean, really amazing, some of the best I've tried. It's a great thing and well worth having even if you have to pay the high shipping price (I'm in the UK).

Can I have some help with converting it from the Deskthority community?

Here's what I've done so far:

- I have used this GitHub tutorial https://github.com/iflowfor8hours/61128 ... controller
- I have installed the Linux dependencies
- I have chosen a good USB cable with data passthrough (the one that came with the Pro Micro didn't work)
- I have dropped the Pro Micro into Bootstrap mode using the reset.py script and the pyserial library
- I have flashed Soarer's controller software onto the Pro Micro (this bit was tricky; for anyone else that has problems at this stage, you need to drop the Pro Micro into Bootstrap mode and QUICKLY execute the flash command BEFORE the red lights start flashing on the Pro Micro otherwise it won't work).

Here's what I need help with:

- The next bit of the tutorial says: If you're using the 6112884 Keyboard, then you can just tweak the included config in the 6112884_files/micro_6112884AllKeysAssigned.sc file.
- Does this mean I need to tweak the file on the PC or the Pro Micro? If I need to tweak the file on the Pro Micro, how do I do this?
- The tutorial says: Make whatever changes you like in 6112884_files/micro_6112884AllKeysAssigned.sc. I don't understand the format of this file. What sort of file is it? Can I have some help with resources in order to understand how to correctly make keymap changes to this file? Is there a "helper tool" to do this?

lancre

11 Nov 2017, 20:42

Ah so it appears Soarer's converter is only for when we want to desolder the CPU and replace it. And it appears that Hasu's converter is for converting the protocol (an external mod, for example). So I'll reset the Pro Micro and try and put Hasu's firmware on it.

lancre

12 Nov 2017, 03:19

I've used this https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard to create a keymap and a hex file. It's an extremely well-documented and thorough repository. It's the wee early hours here so I'll flash the hex tomorrow and do some soldering.

Wingklip

12 Nov 2017, 06:57

Make sure to solder 2 1k resistors, each to the VCC and then to clock and data pins. Make sure to do that or it will likely not work.

Idk if the pro micro/teensies can fit in the plug though, those plugs are already taken up by screws and wiring to the db9.

lancre

12 Nov 2017, 12:38

I'm stuck. I can't seem to reset the Pro Micro. Soarer's controller firmware is on the Pro Micro, and I want to put it back into bootloader mode to load the Hasu firmware. Tried connecting the rst / gnd pins but doesn't seem to do anything.

lancre

12 Nov 2017, 13:27

Ok cool, I've reset the Pro Micro and put Hasu's firmware on it. (Please check below and tell me if anything looks wrong).

Code: Select all

root@laptop:/home/ash/tmk_keyboard/converter/ibm4704_usb# avrdude -p atmega32u4 -P /dev/ttyACM3 -c avr109 -U flash:w:./ibm4704_usb_rev1.hex 

Connecting to programmer: .
Found programmer: Id = "CATERIN"; type = S
    Software Version = 1.0; No Hardware Version given.
Programmer supports auto addr increment.
Programmer supports buffered memory access with buffersize=128 bytes.

Programmer supports the following devices:
    Device code: 0x44

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9587 (probably m32u4)
avrdude: NOTE: "flash" memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
         To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: reading input file "./ibm4704_usb_rev1.hex"
avrdude: input file ./ibm4704_usb_rev1.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: writing flash (20082 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 1.56s

avrdude: 20082 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against ./ibm4704_usb_rev1.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file ./ibm4704_usb_rev1.hex:
avrdude: input file ./ibm4704_usb_rev1.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: input file ./ibm4704_usb_rev1.hex contains 20082 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.19s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: 20082 bytes of flash verified

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK (E:CB, H:D8, L:FF)

avrdude done.  Thank you.

lancre

12 Nov 2017, 14:54

Cool, so I've soldered up the Pro Micro and connected to a breakout board. There are a few keys that aren't working: the 2 on the number row, the s and the z, the left shift, and a few others.

I haven't soldered in a resistor; could this be the problem? Here is the keymap, can I have a few tips? Also how do you turn off the solenoid? It's ridiculously loud...

Code: Select all

#include "keymap_common.h"

const uint8_t PROGMEM keymaps[][MATRIX_ROWS][MATRIX_COLS] = {
    /* Layer 0:
     * ,---------------------------------------------------------------.  ,-----------. ,---------------.
     * |  `|  1|  2|  3|  4|  5|  6|  7|  8|  9|  0|  -|  =|BS |BS |F21|  |PSC|SLK|PAU| |F1 |F2 |F3 |F4 |
     * |---------------------------------------------------------------|  |-----------| |---------------|
     * |Tab  |  Q|  W|  E|  R|  T|  Y|  U|  I|  O|  P|  [|  ]|    \|F22|  |Ins|Hom|PgU| |F5 |F6 |F7 |F8 |
     * |---------------------------------------------------------------|  |-----------| |---------------|
     * |Ctrl  |  A|  S|  D|  F|  G|  H|  J|  K|  L|  ;|  '|Ret|Ret |F23|  |Del|End|PgD| |F9 |F10|F11|F12|
     * |Shift   |  Z|  X|  C|  V|  B|  N|  M|  ,|  ,|  /|Shf|Shift |F24|  |   |Up |   | |F13|F14|F15|F16|
     * |Fn0  |Gui|Alt  |         Space             |Alt* |Gui|Fn0      |  |Lef|Dow|Rig| |F17|F18|F19|F20|
     * `---------------------------------------------------------------'  `-----------' `---------------'
     */
    KEYMAP_ALPS102(
    ESC, 1,   2,   3,   4,   5,   6,   7,   8,   9,   0,   MINS,EQL,  F1,  F3,F4,      INS, HOME,PGUP,     BSPC,PSLS,  PAST,PEQL,  \
    TAB, Q,   W,   E,   R,   T,   Y,   U,   I,   O,   P,   LBRC,RBRC, BSPC,   F5,      DEL, END, PGDN,     P7,  P8,    P9,  PMNS,  \
    LCTL,A,   S,   D,   F,   G,   H,   J,   K,   L,   SCLN,QUOT,NUHS,ENT,    F7,      F10, F11, F12,      P4,  P5,    P6,  PPLS, \
    LSFT,Z,   X,   C,   V,   B,   N,   M,   COMM,DOT, SLSH,BSLS,RSFT,         F8,      PSCR,UP,  NLCK,     P1,  P2,    P3,  PCMM, \
    CAPS,LGUI,LALT,          SPC,                     RALT,GRV,               FN0,     LEFT,DOWN,RGHT,     P0,  KP_000,PDOT,PENT  \
    ),

/* Layer 1:
     * ,---------------------------------------------------------------.  ,-----------. ,---------------.
     * |  `|  1|  2|  3|  4|  5|  6|  7|  8|  9|  0|  -|  =|BS |BS |F21|  |VoD|VoU|Mut| |F1 |F2 |F3 |F4 |
     * |Tab  |  Q|  W|  E|  R|  T|  Y|  U|  I|  O|  P|  [|  ]|    \|F22|  |Ins|Hom|PgU| |F5 |F6 |F7 |F8 |
     * |Ctrl  |  A|  S|  D|  F|  G|  H|  J|  K|  L|  ;|  '|Ret|Ret |F23|  |Del|End|PgD| |F9 |F10|F11|F12|
     * |Shift   |  Z|  X|  C|  V|  B|  N|  M|  ,|  ,|  /|Shf|Shift |F24|  |   |PgU|   | |F13|F14|F15|F16|
     * |Fn0  |Gui|Alt  |         Space             |Alt* |Gui|Fn0      |  |Hom|PgD|End| |F17|F18|F19|F20|
     * `---------------------------------------------------------------'  `-----------' `---------------'
     */
    KEYMAP_ALPS102(
    TRNS,  F1,  F2,  F3,  F4,  F5,  F6,  F7,  F8,  F9, F10, F11, F12,TRNS,TRNS, PWR,     VOLD,VOLU,MUTE,     TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS, \
    TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,     SLEP,     TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,     TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS, \
    TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,     WAKE,     TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,     TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS, \
    TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,          TRNS,     TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,     TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS, \
    TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,          TRNS,                    TRNS,TRNS,               TRNS,     TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,     TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS  \
    ),
};

const action_t PROGMEM fn_actions[] = {
    [0] = ACTION_LAYER_MOMENTARY(1),
};

lancre

12 Nov 2017, 15:20

Ok I've actually swapped computers from the laptop to the desktop and it appears to be working better. I'll do some testing and report back. I've turned down the solenoid (doh, didn't notice the slider at the back of the board). I'm typing on it now actually, it's very cool. :) apart from the fact that I keep hitting the top right key as the backspace. I've programmed that as F5, so when I backspace it reloads the browser page!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

12 Nov 2017, 15:23

Congrats. Another happy pinger... :P

lancre

13 Nov 2017, 01:59

Thanks :) It's quite an amazing board. Really unctuous switches. I don't know how to describe them other than... well they're just great, aren't they :D The Realforce will be in its box for some time I think. This is too much fun. And it's not all that loud, with earphones in :lol:

seebart

13 Nov 2017, 08:11

lancre wrote: Thanks :) It's quite an amazing board. Really unctuous switches. I don't know how to describe them other than... well they're just great, aren't they :D The Realforce will be in its box for some time I think. This is too much fun. And it's not all that loud, with earphones in :lol:
Clean new SKCC green are very good linears is how I would describe them. The ping is an unfortunate side effect. I still can't get over how many of these that Mendelson seller much have had, quite a few people here and at GH bought one or several.

wiki/Alps_SKCC_Green

lancre

13 Nov 2017, 19:11

They still have dozens in stock on eBay. Every time they get to less than 10 in stock they get another hundred from somewhere.

Chyros

13 Nov 2017, 19:19

lancre wrote: They still have dozens in stock on eBay. Every time they get to less than 10 in stock they get another hundred from somewhere.
This is excellent. Everyone deserves to own one of these ^^ .

gkubed

13 Nov 2017, 19:33

lancre wrote: They still have dozens in stock on eBay. Every time they get to less than 10 in stock they get another hundred from somewhere.
Got a link? My eBay-fu is failing me.

lancre

13 Nov 2017, 19:55

Here you go, 72 in stock:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBM-6112884- ... 2243958765

Promise you won't saw it in half or anything.

seebart

13 Nov 2017, 19:59

Hmm look what else mendelsons is selling...no idea what that is though:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UCS-ANSI-Key ... 1407139523

lancre

13 Nov 2017, 20:07

This is the only reference I can find to it:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54841.0

andrewjoy

13 Nov 2017, 20:12

Pinger INC , got a jap one on the way.

Also that UCS-ANSI looks possibly like a space invader to me , looking at the soft edge on the keys

gkubed

13 Nov 2017, 20:22

lancre wrote: Here you go, 72 in stock:

Well, that's tooootally not extremely tempting... It's so inexpensive (being in the US), it makes a good project, etc...but I already bought a keyboard this month.
Last edited by gkubed on 13 Nov 2017, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.

andrewjoy

13 Nov 2017, 20:28

if the shipping was not so insane i would totaly buy two and cut one in half .

I mean who does not want to have a vintage alps numberpad and mini keyboard !!!

lancre

13 Nov 2017, 20:56

gkubed wrote:

Well, that's tooootally not extremely tempting... It's so inexpensive (being in the US), it makes a good project, etc...but I already bought a keyboard this month.
Including shipping, VAT, and the Pro Micro, mine cost $141 at today's exchange rate. See? Now it seems even cheaper. So buy one.

gkubed

13 Nov 2017, 21:11

lancre wrote:
gkubed wrote:

Including shipping, VAT, and the Pro Micro, mine cost $141 at today's exchange rate. See? Now it seems even cheaper. So buy one.
Sigh...welp, I'm down $45 USD for the keyboard, shipped. When I'm home I'll pick up the pro micro.

Thanks for encouraging me to get my hands dirty :)

depletedvespene

13 Nov 2017, 21:27

Chyros wrote:
This is excellent. Everyone deserves to own one of these ^^ .
Why do you think I got three? :-D

No shit - one for me, one for my kid, and one for a friend in need.

Now I'm thinking of getting three more and form a sixpack!

depletedvespene

13 Nov 2017, 21:29

lancre wrote:
gkubed wrote:

I went through the lazy(*) route and bought adapters from hasu. They cost more than what each Pingmaster cost me. :-D

(*) The only viable option for a clumsy git like me, actually.

seebart

13 Nov 2017, 21:33

depletedvespene wrote: Now I'm thinking of getting three more and form a sixpack!
:o :lol:

gkubed

17 Nov 2017, 17:03

Yokay, so I got mine yesterday and the experience was fantastic. Still waging whether or not I want to go the Pro Micro or Teensy route.

Any idea what the production dates of these keyboards are? Perhaps it's printed on the PCB? I haven't got a chance to split her open yet.

lancre

17 Nov 2017, 18:50

I believe they're from 1984. But I went the fully external Pro Micro / Hasu route so haven't opened the case. Glad you like it!

Return to “Workshop”