It's a 5251, but it's #1 in my heart

just_add_coffee

19 Oct 2017, 22:08

A while back, Taylorswiftttttt gave me a hell of a deal on a beamspring he had been working on. I finally got around to working on it. :D

I think that the crooked "Light" label adds something to the overall aesthetic. The dry-erase insert is glow-in-the-dark vinyl wrap on acetate, which has double-stick tape to hold it in position and is easily removable. I'm not crazy about that part, but I've got something better in mind if I can find some old dot-matrix printer paper.

And the warm white LEDs reflecting off the brushed copper vinyl wrap yells VINTAGE in my feeble mind.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

19 Oct 2017, 22:24

:o :shock: I like the lighting but I'd never flex the case for those flip-switches...or for anything else.
Spoiler:
wrapo.jpg
wrapo.jpg (187.7 KiB) Viewed 3210 times

taylorswiftttttt

19 Oct 2017, 22:24

Nice

depletedvespene

19 Oct 2017, 22:27

May I envy you? :mrgreen:

just_add_coffee

19 Oct 2017, 22:44

seebart wrote: :o :shock: I like the lighting but I'd never flex the case for those flip-switches...or for anything else.
Everything seems pretty sturdy. 1/4" thick plastic and the switch cover is mounted on a metal plate. Then again, I've been wrong many, MANY times before and my idiocy knows no bounds.

just_add_coffee

19 Oct 2017, 22:47

taylorswiftttttt wrote: Nice
Thank you for making this possible!

Chyros

19 Oct 2017, 22:57

HAHAHAHAHA XD

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

20 Oct 2017, 07:14

just_add_coffee wrote:
seebart wrote: :o :shock: I like the lighting but I'd never flex the case for those flip-switches...or for anything else.
Everything seems pretty sturdy. 1/4" thick plastic and the switch cover is mounted on a metal plate. Then again, I've been wrong many, MANY times before and my idiocy knows no bounds.
:?: OF COURSE it's sturdy! I'm talking about the aesthetics which is a matter of taste of course. Being a vintage keyboard "purist" I just could not get myself to cut those holes in any Beamspring case.

Halvar

20 Oct 2017, 14:49

I especially like the illumination. How does the XT layout work out for you?

And can I ask how you get clean rounded-rectangular holes like that in a plastic case? I'd really like to be able to make holes in plastic that don't look like they were carved by a caveman, but with my Dremel, they always come out dreadful.

OldIsNew

20 Oct 2017, 15:03

Looks very nice - like that glow! Nice use of the switches and they look cool too - either going to turn on the solenoid or launch a missile or something!

just_add_coffee

20 Oct 2017, 21:51

Halvar wrote: I especially like the illumination. How does the XT layout work out for you?

And can I ask how you get clean rounded-rectangular holes like that in a plastic case? I'd really like to be able to make holes in plastic that don't look like they were carved by a caveman, but with my Dremel, they always come out dreadful.
The XT layout is ok. Not my favorite and legends that don't match the output annoy me. But I guess I adapt well enough.

And the holes are circular. The cylinder of the barrel goes through the keyboard case, then the switch cover goes on, and then a locking nut holds everything in place. The switch body is the inside of the case. And I used a Dremel to drill and widen the 15/32" -ish holes.

just_add_coffee

20 Oct 2017, 21:56

OldIsNew wrote: Nice use of the switches and they look cool too - either going to turn on the solenoid or launch a missile or something!
Growing up in the 70s and 80s and later when I was in the Army, these types of switches were on dang near everything ... to start vehicles, communications equipment, generators, etc., etc. They just scream vintage and over-engineered to me.

Halvar

20 Oct 2017, 22:02

just_add_coffee wrote: And the holes are circular. The cylinder of the barrel goes through the keyboard case, then the switch cover goes on, and then a locking nut holds everything in place. The switch body is the inside of the case. And I used a Dremel to drill and widen the 15/32" -ish holes.
Ah, now I see it, thanks! I totally misinterpreted the photo.

derzemel

21 Oct 2017, 07:21

just_add_coffee wrote: They just scream vintage and over-engineered to me.
Over-engineering is sexy

Return to “Workshop”