Split ergonomic keyboard project

dox

22 Aug 2012, 03:12

I got the PCBs from bpiphany today! I should have some Teensy by the end of the week to complete a prototype.
IMG_0451_1.jpg
IMG_0451_1.jpg (340.09 KiB) Viewed 4583 times
IMG_0448_1.jpg
IMG_0448_1.jpg (262.23 KiB) Viewed 4583 times

damorgue

22 Aug 2012, 05:35

Maaan, even the colour of the PCB is pretty.

dorkvader

22 Aug 2012, 06:13

dotancohen wrote:This feedback is probably too late, but you should consider it anyway. It looks like the current layout will be very hard to type common programming symbols on, such as the [] {} combinations, and -= are not next to each other. Also, using the wide keys for the pinkies is bad because either the finger will have to stretch more to get to the middle, or it will be pressing off-center and torquing the key, requiring more force. This is one of my pet peeves of current keyboard designs, and there is no reason to carry it over here as well.

I suggest lopping off the outer keys, such that QAZ and P;/ are the sides of the keyboard, and putting the keys removed on the inside for the index fingers to get to them. This will greatly reduce the load on the weak pinkies and put it on the strong index fingers. Furthermore, the hand can easily move inwards to hit another key with the index finger, but it is stressful to move it outwards. Just try it: hold your hands in front you as if you were at the keyboard, and move in like you need to hit a key close to your centerline. Now try moving out to hit an imaginary key. Which is easier on the hands to do rapidly?

My experience with drastically tented split keyboards, such as with the Comfort Keyboard System, shows my that such boards really do require armrests. An additional argument for lopping off the keys outside QAZ and P;/ is that they are very difficult to reach when they are below the level of the armrest, and are actually painful to hit as the wrist must be twisted out (the arm cannot move down due to the armrest). This is not noticeable on keyboards that sit flat on the table, but if anyone plans on tenting this keyboard then it will be a real issue.
It's programmable, AND, looknig at the PCB's you can move the pinkie keys in to be 1x, just like you want.

Isn't the ergoDOX great? Should I put you down for one?
--
Se we are using "normal size miniplug" 3.5mm TRRS jacks to connect the halves? For some reason I thought it was 2.5mm. Thanks for that.

WarlockD

22 Aug 2012, 08:21

This product is exactly what i have been looking for. I was looking at the Kinesis Freestyle2 but the cable length between the 2 halves was to short. What you have designed here goes above and beyond what i had in mind for my project requirement.

I'm sold and keenly await production.

Are you guys going to put this on http://www.kickstarter.com/?

hoggy

22 Aug 2012, 08:51

WarlockD wrote:This product is exactly what i have been looking for. I was looking at the Kinesis Freestyle2 but the cable length between the 2 halves was to short. What you have designed here goes above and beyond what i had in mind for my project requirement.

I'm sold and keenly await production.

Are you guys going to put this on http://www.kickstarter.com/?
Just to be fair, kinesis does offer the freestyle with a 20 inch cable, but I'd still recommend holding out for an ergodox, it'll last you far longer.

WarlockD

22 Aug 2012, 09:53

@hoggy

I did see that kinesis offered the freestyle with a 20 inch cable but that is still not long enough. The Ergodox not only looks better but I think it has far more potential with custom mods & the user programmable option.

Jim66

22 Aug 2012, 10:48

Were there any decisions ever made about the design of the bottom of the case (i.e., how the keyboard rests/tilts on the table?)

Is it just going to be a case of screwing those different length feet into the bottom of the case?

maxrunner

22 Aug 2012, 11:00

Where can i see the final specs on this? i'm really digging the form factor of this, i assume no iso key?What kind of switches? browns?

Anyway i'm interested, i assume i wont need to mount/solder anything?

regards,

damorgue

22 Aug 2012, 14:59

Jim66 wrote:Were there any decisions ever made about the design of the bottom of the case (i.e., how the keyboard rests/tilts on the table?)

Is it just going to be a case of screwing those different length feet into the bottom of the case?
I believe there are two designs made for printing, one which is inclined and one which isn't. There is also another flat one which is made from sheets and stacked to make the case and yet another option for a milled case. I believe that the only one which is tilted is the one made for printing.

Jim66

22 Aug 2012, 15:12

I see. Am I right in thinking that there has only been one case printed thus far and it belongs to dox?

damorgue

22 Aug 2012, 15:36

Which has been posted, then yes. I believe that there may be a couple that have had the case printed but not posted anything.

ic07

23 Aug 2012, 01:11

damorgue wrote:
Jim66 wrote:Were there any decisions ever made about the design of the bottom of the case (i.e., how the keyboard rests/tilts on the table?)

I believe there are two designs made for printing, one which is inclined and one which isn't. There is also another flat one which is made from sheets and stacked to make the case and yet another option for a milled case. I believe that the only one which is tilted is the one made for printing.
There are actually 3 case slants available right now for printed cases (Dox posted them on the ErgoDOX website a while ago). I dunno about the metal plate case though, or anything else.
maxrunner wrote:Where can i see the final specs on this? i'm really digging the form factor of this, i assume no iso key?What kind of switches? browns?

Anyway i'm interested, i assume i wont need to mount/solder anything?

regards,
Final specs haven't been posted yet in any user friendly fashion that I know of. Besides the thread, if you are anxious :) , you could look through the web site (above), and|or the github source documentation (this link is to the 'dev' branch, coz the stable branch is rather outdated at the moment) for stuff, depending on what type of specs you wish to see.

Soldering service will probably be provided by a few forum members, for a smallish extra fee. Switches will be whatever you want (limited to availability, I suppose, if someone's assembling it for you), though there's been talk of possible group buys for those and other components.

I've never participated in one of these before, and I'm going to assemble all of mine myself (yay for learning to solder!), but I'm certain this will all become *far* less complicated once everything's been finalized, everyone's gotten organized, and things are ready to happen. Hopefully soon!

litster

23 Aug 2012, 01:21

I just talked to BiNiaRiS, who procured Teensy controllers (and other parts and plates) for Phantom. He said he can order more Teensys for Ergo Dox. It should be a couple bucks cheaper than retail. BiNiaRiS can actually drive over to pjrc to pick them up.

Aleksander

23 Aug 2012, 01:49

Now I just need an excuse to get a kit...

dirge

23 Aug 2012, 08:34

Aleksander wrote:Now I just need an excuse to get a kit...
There's a "Y" in the month. That's my excuse.

Litster if bini is helping out, what about plates for these?

litster

23 Aug 2012, 09:08

I think he is open to help out with plates. He doesn't post as often as he used to. I will have to email/IM him. He could order Teensys and plates (cut and anodize), and then send everything to someone who will be putting everything together with PCBs.

I recommend just do the big ticket items in the group buy: PCBs, plates, and teensys, cases if there is a way to bulk make them at a reasonable price. The small parts like switches, diodes and cables should be purchased by DIYers themselves. That's what we would do if we could do the Phantom GB all over again.

dirge

23 Aug 2012, 09:34

Totally agree, fast turnaround so next project can get going :) whatever it may be.

Only seen Tue photos but the plates bini did and the price was impressive

dorkvader

23 Aug 2012, 15:54

dirge wrote:Totally agree, fast turnaround so next project can get going :) whatever it may be.

Only seen Tue photos but the plates bini did and the price was impressive
They're awesome.

Aleksander wrote:Now I just need an excuse to get a kit...
I put you on the list, That's a good excuse :)

fossala
Elite +1

23 Aug 2012, 16:13

Just making sure I'm on the list, can't find it anywhere.

Aleksander

23 Aug 2012, 17:55

is there a list?

I am more than qualified to solder this myself if that is an option.

damorgue

23 Aug 2012, 18:09

On the first page, a couple of posts down there are lists.

fossala
Elite +1

23 Aug 2012, 18:24

Seems like I'm not, even though I said I wanted it on GH ages ago. Can I get added to the DT list?

OrangeJewce

23 Aug 2012, 19:25

Hey guys,

Will be getting my first build of the firmware tonight, and also am getting the 1.0 of middleware. This means the UI project will be moving forward and I hope to release a beta for you all to play with in...say 1-2 months.

Cheers,

bisl

23 Aug 2012, 20:09

OrangeJewce wrote:Hey guys,

Will be getting my first build of the firmware tonight, and also am getting the 1.0 of middleware. This means the UI project will be moving forward and I hope to release a beta for you all to play with in...say 1-2 months.

Cheers,
Hey OrangeJewce! Out of curiosity, will the UI be purely for programmability, or will use of the board be contingent on it? Things seem to be coming together, and while I'm quite excited for the programmability that the UI will offer, I'm wondering if we'll be able to use them before this is complete.

Icarium

23 Aug 2012, 20:24

Yes, for the five millionth time. You can use board without the UI and with any operating system you want. :D

OrangeJewce

23 Aug 2012, 21:23

bisl wrote:
OrangeJewce wrote:Hey guys,

Cheers,
Hey OrangeJewce! Out of curiosity, will the UI be purely for programmability, or will use of the board be contingent on it? Things seem to be coming together, and while I'm quite excited for the programmability that the UI will offer, I'm wondering if we'll be able to use them before this is complete.
The UI exists for one purpose: To provide easy access to custom layouts if editing, compiling, and flashing your ErgoDox firmware manually isn't something you want to do. The sales pitch goes something like this:

"Tired of using that standard ANSI or Dvorak ErgoDox layout? No problem! Make your own in a snap with the ErgoDox UI!"

Knowing that, the UI is not required to use the keyboard. However, your controller will not be pre-flashed with the firmware, so you will have to do that before the board is usable. You have three options: 1) Download a compiled version of the firmware to flash manually to the keyboard, 2) Download the UI, 3) Edit, Compile, and Flash manually to get a custom layout out of the box.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

bisl

23 Aug 2012, 22:08

Thanks OrangeJewce! Very helpful.
Icarium wrote:Yes, for the five millionth time. You can use board without the UI and with any operating system you want. :D
Sorry, I'm just overstimulated with all the activity lately.

dorkvader

24 Aug 2012, 07:46

fossala wrote:Seems like I'm not, even though I said I wanted it on GH ages ago. Can I get added to the DT list?
I didn't see you register your interest in the GH topic (this is your only post remaining there):
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=227 ... #msg585504

But it's okay. I'm sure you've forgot (or got rolled back or something). I've got you on the list now.

maxrunner

24 Aug 2012, 19:01

Will this have the option for the extra iso key?

bpiphany

24 Aug 2012, 19:17

For the 5000001st time, it's programmable... Set it up whatever way you want. The similarities with the standard qwerty layout are pretty dim, asking about "the iso key" makes absolutely no sense =P

Return to “Workshop”