Split ergonomic keyboard project

ondast

15 Jul 2012, 01:14

I'd be interested in a full version of the ergodox.. (what exactly does that mean, pcb, casing, soldering, wiring, teensy?)

If we need to purchase the switches separately, any tips on where to get those at a reasonable price?

Djuzuh

15 Jul 2012, 01:16

ondast wrote:I'd be interested in a full version of the ergodox.. (what exactly does that mean, pcb, casing, soldering, wiring, teensy?)

If we need to purchase the switches separately, any tips on where to get those at a reasonable price?
Mouser if you are at the US, or 7bit's group buy.

ondast

15 Jul 2012, 01:25

i'm europe/sweden based, but I saw mouser ships for sweden also... Where can i find more info about 7bits group buy?

Djuzuh

15 Jul 2012, 01:29

ondast wrote:i'm europe/sweden based, but I saw mouser ships for sweden also... Where can i find more info about 7bits group buy?

http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... t2760.html

ondast

15 Jul 2012, 01:32

bpiphany

15 Jul 2012, 02:10

Mouser have free shipping to Sweden on orders above $100. And they are fast. A few days tops. I like shopping from them, but you are in no hurry I suppose =) DigiKey have some similar shipping deal as well.

bpiphany

15 Jul 2012, 12:45

I think I'm pretty much done with the layout and routing \o/ Only some cosmetic things left, like silkscreen component references and explanatory text on how to fit components on the different sides of the PCB.
ergodone.png
ergodone.png (237.64 KiB) Viewed 9478 times
Side note: ASCII file formats are nice. It's hard drawing traces with slopes in anything else than 45° intervals. So I drew the thumb section in a straight layout. Extracted the track info from the KiCAD board file, rotated all their coordinates in a spreadsheet and edited them back into the KiCAD file =D

mSSM

15 Jul 2012, 14:21

bpiphany wrote:Mouser have free shipping to Sweden on orders above $100. And they are fast. A few days tops. I like shopping from them, but you are in no hurry I suppose =) DigiKey have some similar shipping deal as well.
I am going to be located in Sweden from September onwards (Stockholm area). If you guys want to bundle our orders, we could all order from Mouser. Less shipping costs and possibly cheaper price per switch.

bpiphany

15 Jul 2012, 14:35

There is always a reason to send an order to Mouser... =D Elfa, the local electronics supplier also don't have the IO-expander. I am probably going to add everything except switches to one pair of PCB, to have a functioning prototype. And also order a pair of PCB to have as reference for my design. Probably not going to use the keyboard for typing... =D

Parak

15 Jul 2012, 16:07

Neat, being able to have gerbers and a single flipable pcb will substantially lower the cost. I'd suggest sitopway for fabbing as I've used them for prototype and small volume pcbs with pretty good results. I think I might still get one even though I've shifted over to buckling spring experiments :D

bpiphany

17 Jul 2012, 17:33

There, that should do it I think. Some text and credits printed on that and that is all.
blue.png
blue.png (249.65 KiB) Viewed 9383 times

Merijn

17 Jul 2012, 17:57

So... are we almost ready to mass produce the pcb? :D

mSSM

17 Jul 2012, 18:37

Merijn wrote:So... are we almost ready to mass produce the pcb? :D
I am getting so excited! :D

heuristicist

18 Jul 2012, 02:01

Now that this thread has migrated over here, I'll re-iterate my interest. My ideal is to get two keyboards, one with blues, one with browns, for no more than $500 including all materials (keycaps, switches, resistors/caps/LEDs), though I can assemble them myself (including soldering, probably). I'd be willing to bump that up to $600 if need be... Hopefully we can get enough people in to get the prices low! The symmetrical halves seems like a good step towards that, though (as with the non-symmetrical halves) everything should be well-tested!

justcallmecrash

18 Jul 2012, 04:10

Has there been any further estimation on the costs for this project? It seems REALLY promising and, if it's not too late (and depending on costs, of course, I'd be interested in getting in on the group-buy. Even if it's just for 4 of the PCB (I'm good with woodworking tools and I know how to solder)... again, depending on the costs of the whole shebang.
Great work, both of you.

dorkvader

18 Jul 2012, 04:25

justcallmecrash wrote:Has there been any further estimation on the costs for this project? It seems REALLY promising and, if it's not too late (and depending on costs, of course, I'd be interested in getting in on the group-buy. Even if it's just for 4 of the PCB (I'm good with woodworking tools and I know how to solder)... again, depending on the costs of the whole shebang.
Great work, both of you.
Added (not updated yet).

Yep, that seems to really be what this will come down to: The costs. I'm working to update the layer-cake case design (to account for the thumb-placement change) and get it submitted to some laser/water cutters for quotes.

Since we'll (Hopefully) be ordering a ton of plates/cases (remember, you can flip them like the PCB, so everyone should get two sets (with maybe exceptions for which side needs the opening for the cable)) so I hope it won't be too bad. If we're lucky, we'll be able to pick from steel or aluminium, since the design would be the same.

The_Beast

18 Jul 2012, 04:58

Any estimate on a set of PCBs (one keyboard)? I have switches, can solder, and find a teensy pretty easy. My only concerns are keys (round 4 looks like a mess) and a case.

However, I know myself and someone in Sweden has offered to get quotes on cases. A dwg would be preferred, since I could send it right out to be quoted. He mostly does aluminum, but I think he could also do plastics. I looked at the iso pictures on the first page, it looks like a lot of thin repeat layers. I THINK it would be cheaper to have fewer thick layers if it didn't require milling.

dox

18 Jul 2012, 05:03

For 100 PCBs the price will probably be around 30$ for the pair. For the case, I will put my models available on shapeways for those who want to go with this. The flat case from shapeways cost ~200$ and the angled like the prototype ~280$ As dorkvader said, he is working on the plate layer case too.

justcallmecrash

18 Jul 2012, 11:31

Oh, wow... at $30 for the pair, I'd definitely in for enough plates to do two full keyboards.

Merijn

18 Jul 2012, 11:34

What if we find someone who can 3d print the cases for the cheapskates or the people with the starving student budget? (In my case the latter.) Methinks the prices would be very doable in that case.

HzFaq

18 Jul 2012, 11:40

I'm guessing the $200 is for the metal cases, the screenshot on page 2 shows prices of around $50 for plastic ones unless I'm mistaken.

bpiphany

18 Jul 2012, 11:47

I showed a friend without impulse control what I was working on, and he immediately said he wanted a set =) So I am going to want 3 PCB sets all in all.

Merijn

18 Jul 2012, 13:14

So I would buy a pair of pcbs ($30), a plastic case ($50), diodes ($2), switches from 7bit, about 80 pcs? (80*0.60=$48), a keycap set, some old ones of my own or from a gb that will pop up ($0 to $40), some connectors ($5), teensy ($16), so the total costs would be $190. Am I about right?

richie

18 Jul 2012, 13:16

cool maybe I've got enough for 2 KBs one metal case for home and the plastic for work, better shut down all extra spending to snag a couple of these!

dox

18 Jul 2012, 16:06

The shapeways screenshot is only for 1 top part of 1 hand. 50$x4 = 200$.

Merijn

18 Jul 2012, 16:41

That sure is a lot of money for a "simple" casing. Isn't there a discount on large orders or something in that direction? :X

dirge

18 Jul 2012, 16:52

dox wrote:The shapeways screenshot is only for 1 top part of 1 hand. 50$x4 = 200$.
ah right! I think a lot of us made an assumption after seeing your screenshot. Metal case sounds much more attractive in comparison now.

The_Beast

18 Jul 2012, 16:54

Depending on your design, I'm pretty sure I could do a metal case for under or around $200. That's MY guesstimate, not an actual quote (still waiting for drawings)

modulor

18 Jul 2012, 17:26

Shapeways is pretty neat, but can be quite costly... might be more practical for smaller 60% cases or novelty keycaps. The design and demo look incredible, dox!

dox

18 Jul 2012, 18:28

The layered plate construction might be possible to get it under 200$.
The CNC is just impossible. The cheapest quote I got was minimum 900$.
I like the result from shapeways. I might order some parts in the alumide material next.

Return to “Workshop”