Split ergonomic keyboard project

vvp

11 Aug 2015, 12:21

There are also 4 switches in the innermost column.
I would modify the outermost (pinkie) column to use 1u keycaps (it will be easier to source them).

7bit

11 Aug 2015, 15:36

litster wrote: If you do want to change the layout that would require a new case design, I would be happy to make modification to my original ErgoDox case design.
Any suggestions what to change?
:-)

litster

11 Aug 2015, 15:46

If we want to change the case, we can do a lot of different things with the PCB because you won't be limited with the old design's shape and size. For example, you can move the thumb section out or change it to a different angle; add a row of function keys; or even add a 6-pack cluster and arrow keys as a separate PCB. I can create a separate case for it or change the case design so it can be integrated to the right half (or the left half) and wire it up with wires inside the case.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

11 Aug 2015, 16:43

I agree with litster, if you're gonna produce to a new version if the PCB, might as well try to improve the product as well. Jacoblus and others have produced plenty of great suggestions. A little arrow cluster under the main key area, like with the muTron, could be great, along with adjusting the thumb cluster and key stagger, and adjust size of outer keys.

hasu

11 Aug 2015, 22:24

7bit wrote: Now my question:
Is it possible to connect LEDs to that MCP23018-thing?
:?
Possible. But it depends on how many LEDs and how much amp they draw.

Check Absolute Maximum Ratings of the chip.
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/D ... 22103a.pdf
Maximum current out of VSS pin ...........................................................................................................................400 mA
Maximum current into VDD pin ..............................................................................................................................125 mA
Maximum output current sunk by any Output pin....................................................................................................25 mA
Maximum output current sourced by any Output pin ..............................................................................................25 mA

macmakkara

11 Aug 2015, 22:30

jacobolus wrote: Folks here at Deskthority might also be interested in my new Geekhack thread, “fixing the ergodox thumb section”:

I would love to see this one come true... but it might be a longshot...

jacobolus

11 Aug 2015, 23:01

I evolved those a bit after that picture, though I still haven’t tried to make a production-ready version. (Sidetracked by lots of other projects; need to get back in touch with MassDrop, etc.)

My favorite physical prototype of an Ergodox-inspired board, after maybe a dozen variants:

Comparison (of a slightly tweaked version compared to the above prototype) vs. the main section of a standard keyboard (note some columns of keys on the standard keyboard here are duplicated):

Idea for both that and a larger version with arrows and F keys (not my personal thing, but some people like them), including a comparison against the Ergodox:

Comparison of the larger version vs. a full-size keyboard:

Maybe slightly easier to see comparison vs. the existing Ergodox:

7bit

11 Aug 2015, 23:38

hasu wrote:
7bit wrote: Now my question:
Is it possible to connect LEDs to that MCP23018-thing?
:?
Possible. But it depends on how many LEDs and how much amp they draw.

Check Absolute Maximum Ratings of the chip.
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/D ... 22103a.pdf
Maximum current out of VSS pin ...........................................................................................................................400 mA
Maximum current into VDD pin ..............................................................................................................................125 mA
Maximum output current sunk by any Output pin....................................................................................................25 mA
Maximum output current sourced by any Output pin ..............................................................................................25 mA
So, 3-4 LEDs should be fine?

dyger

11 Aug 2015, 23:42

The one thing I always miss on my ErgoDox is a dedicated Function Row. The layout of the larger version looks pretty nice.

7bit

12 Aug 2015, 00:02

With a new case design, the contrllers can go where they are in other keyboards: At the underside with the switches above.

This way, there is plenty of room for function keys.

I'm not a fan of 1.5 units vertical keys.

vvp

12 Aug 2015, 01:33

7bit wrote: I'm not a fan of 1.5 units vertical keys.
Me neither. But I'm not a fan of any other keys except 1u keys. :D
If somebody thinks he/she needs more than 1u key to hit it precisely then the key is probably too far away from the home row and it should not be there at all.

jacobolus

12 Aug 2015, 01:42

Have you ever tried it?

Extra-wide keys on the thumbs are actually very helpful when you have people with different hand sizes using a keyboard. Every spacebar, even on a standard layout, should be 1.5u wide.

However 2x1 thumb keys, as on the Ergodox, are really floppy and annoying when unstabilized, and take up an unnecessarily large amount of space, pushing the keys behind them too far out to be comfortable.

The ideal would probably be like 1.5x1.25u or 1.5x1.5 for the primary thumb keys, but those keycaps don’t exist.

The reason to make the key to the side of the pinky extra wide is, again, to accommodate different hand shapes. People’s pinkies actually vary quite a bit in length and motion.
Last edited by jacobolus on 12 Aug 2015, 01:45, edited 3 times in total.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

12 Aug 2015, 01:43

vvp wrote:
Me neither. But I'm not a fan of any other keys except 1u keys. :D
If somebody thinks he/she needs more than 1u key to hit it precisely then the key is probably too far away from the home row and it should not be there at all.
I developed that attitude as well after using a Planck keyboard of awhile...

oobacke

04 Dec 2015, 21:10

Would anybody be interested in throwing out the teensy going STM32F207IGH6 with 2 SPBT2632C2A.AT2 (or even SPBT2632C1A.AT2) so it has bluetooth compatibility (also with android/iphone) and low power consumption with sleep mode etc.? This would require layout changes and new firmware. Is anyone here familiar with it? My biggest problem is time during semester, but I would love to put my skills to use - I mean I have a STM32F200 eval board and all that theory in class needs an outlet! :D
No promises, but I will most likely start playing with it after my exams.

Phenix
-p

08 Jan 2016, 21:31

would take one asap

Landspeeder_95

22 Jun 2016, 21:12

I have been using two finicky TECK keyboards with (sometimes lagging) handheld scientific BT adapters.

All I want is a ErogDox / keyboardio style keyboard with wireless/BT connectivity (and internal 18650 batteries/charging circuit/etc)

it may have a wire connecting the 2 keyboard halfs

... how comes your design!!! ???

Phenix
-p

13 May 2017, 14:20

Return to “Workshop”