Has anyone hand wired an Alps/Matias board?

SpacemanToby

23 Oct 2017, 21:26

I posted on Deskthority a while back about a Canon Typewriter I won in an auction. It came with integrated alps rubber dome switches, so I've decided to take the plate and caps and put some matias quiet clicks in it and hand wire a custom board. I've only hand wired one keyboard before and the switches clicked securely into the plate. How would you secure the alps switches? I've thought about hot glue, but would that be a huge mess? Could you ever remove the switches once they've been glued in?

Here's my previous post
keyboards-f2/gambled-on-a-canon-typewri ... 17463.html

obfuscated

24 Oct 2017, 00:42

I've hot glued cherry mx and I'll probably have to do the same on my in-the-works alps board.
Alps have these wings or clips on the side which make them stick harder to the plate, so you could make it work without the glue.

Cleaning hot glue shouldn't be an issue, because you could melt it gain and you should be able to remove the switches. But I've not tried it.

flowerlandfilms

25 Oct 2017, 06:04

I'm about to do this with my 32 key board when my teensy arrives so I will share how I tackle the engineering challenge when I get to it.

SpacemanToby

25 Oct 2017, 15:29

flowerlandfilms wrote: I'm about to do this with my 32 key board when my teensy arrives so I will share how I tackle the engineering challenge when I get to it.
Nice! My teensy and switches are both on the way. I'm eager to get started.

JohanAR

31 Oct 2017, 13:35

I'm building a macro pad using Matias switches and 1.0mm steel plate. Feels like they're secure enough without glue

Return to “Workshop”