Before: After: Now I've got a plan but I'm not sure about some of the things as I haven't done anything on this level earlier
- Get the xWhatsit working without putting pressure on the connector. I think a good cleaning could help in this. After cleaning one of the pads with pure isopropyl my multimeter beeped for continuity on a much larger area on the pad. Maybe the pads are just dirty.
- Bring back the solenoid. The solenoid driver just came in mail so I just need to solder one connector and put it together in final assembly
- Get rid of the yellow in the keycaps. I'm not sure how retrobrightin works as the caps are white legends on black or gray. Also I'm not quite sure where to find a good ready made mixture in Finland. I haven't exactly met any of the chemistry students at uni..
- Have the switch plate and PCB backplate yellow passivated. Not sure about the correct term but I'm looking for original looking result such as this:
- Clean the top case. What solution have you used to clean dirty plastics before?
- Remove rust from the stems and coil springs. I can get a good selection of cleaning agents from Wurth stores. Any recommendations on something that will easy the stem removal without harming the plastic? I think Rost Off should remove the rust once the parts are separated. I've also got some Teflon spray 10µm laying around and that should be good for lubing the switches, shouldn't it?
- Did I miss anything obvious? Any, literally any tips would be appreciated