IBM Model M connector

aneddoti

17 Jan 2018, 16:13

Hi! I got this keyboard from a friend of mine, and i've researched for a while what model is, what kind of switches, ecc... I'm planning to sell it, but i was wondering about his connector, i haven't found what model has this connector (only found with AT,PS2 or proprietary terminal connectors) but this one has this kind of RJxx connector, and another curious thing is that i found it with an adaptor that has a different connections of the cable inside the connector... :\ Someone can help? It's just matter of curiosity, and because i would like to test it if possible.
Spoiler:
The keyboardImage
The cable (not damaged, just dirty) and the adaptorImage

The head of the keyboard cableImage

The female of the adaptorImage

Male of adaptorImage
Last edited by aneddoti on 17 Jan 2018, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.

micrex22

17 Jan 2018, 16:30

That is a model M, not a model F. The connector is for an IBM infoview terminal base. You won’t be able to convert it to a PC without a lot of logic....

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

17 Jan 2018, 16:31

Hello aneddoti and welcome to DT!

What you have there is a Model M 122-key terminal keyboard with membrane buckling spring switches (not Model F) with an RJ11 connector, no idea what that adapter is about. There might be a sticker on the bottom of your keyboard with a number like "1394413" which is what you might want to goooogle. Here is our work-in-progress list of IBM IBM part numbers:

wiki/IBM_part_numbers#cite_note-1390831_1-1

aneddoti

17 Jan 2018, 17:10

Thanks a lot guys! :)
Edited: I just looked and the number on the label is 1394317, i see it's not in the list, is that like a serial number or should it be cataloged? Thanks again

fohat
Elder Messenger

17 Jan 2018, 17:39

You need one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RJ45-to-US ... SwF1dUSZVm

Contact Orihalcon directly and he will probably give you a discount.

Otherwise, you can do it yourself much cheaper, and if you install the breakout board inside the case, you will have a plug-and-play USB keyboard.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58 ... msg1348717

depletedvespene

17 Jan 2018, 17:49

aneddoti wrote: Thanks a lot guys! :)
Edited: I just looked and the number on the label is 1394317, i see it's not in the list, is that like a serial number or should it be cataloged? Thanks again
It's quite possible that the part number 1394317 refers to the specific combination of "battlecruiser" keyboard you've got with the particular national layout (Italian, I'd guess). Yes, please take pictures of the keyboard's backside for future documentation and cataloguing.

I also second the idea of getting a orihalcon-made Soarer's converter. It'll be trivial to adapt it to your usage (or to whoever you sell it to), and having so many keys available is, for some of us, a delight.

aneddoti

17 Jan 2018, 18:17

depletedvespene wrote:
aneddoti wrote: Thanks a lot guys! :)
It's quite possible that the part number 1394317 refers to the specific combination of "battlecruiser" keyboard you've got with the particular national layout (Italian, I'd guess). Yes, please take pictures of the keyboard's backside for future documentation and cataloguing.

I also second the idea of getting a orihalcon-made Soarer's converter. It'll be trivial to adapt it to your usage (or to whoever you sell it to), and having so many keys available is, for some of us, a delight.

Unfortunately this is the only thing that's on the back of the keyboard:
Spoiler:
I think it's a kind of a label that a reseller put on it.. i tried to gently remove it but the original one is unreadable.
And for the adapter, on eBay it's not actually possible to ship to Italy.. I'll ask directly Orihalcon, maybe with an additional price it's possible. Otherwise i will try for Teensy thingy that actually inspires me a lot, eheh. Thanks a lot to everyone!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

17 Jan 2018, 18:27

aneddoti wrote: Unfortunately this is the only thing that's on the back of the keyboard:
Better than no information although there is probably another sticker inside the case from IBM.
aneddoti wrote: Otherwise i will try for Teensy thingy that actually inspires me a lot, eheh. Thanks a lot to everyone!
A pro-micro will be MUCH cheaper than anything from Orihalcon who does sell great products that I personally use and enjoy.

Have a look at this thread:

workshop-f7/how-to-use-a-pro-micro-as-a ... t8448.html

aneddoti

17 Jan 2018, 18:55

seebart wrote:
aneddoti wrote: Unfortunately this is the only thing that's on the back of the keyboard:
Better than no information although there is probably another sticker inside the case from IBM.
aneddoti wrote: Otherwise i will try for Teensy thingy that actually inspires me a lot, eheh. Thanks a lot to everyone!
A pro-micro will be MUCH cheaper than anything from Orihalcon who does sell great products that I personally use and enjoy.

Have a look at this thread:

workshop-f7/how-to-use-a-pro-micro-as-a ... t8448.html
Well, that's a lot cheaper! Thanks a lot. Maybe i'll configure it in order to test the keyboard before selling :)

Return to “Workshop”