Leopold FC660C with Topre to MX sliders - questions

Luna
Alt255

28 Feb 2018, 10:59

Thanks!
No, still have to read the github page. Busy with quite a few keyboard projects here and waiting for all the bits and pieces to come in as well as that black Leopold that is in preorder.

TuxKey
LLAP

06 Mar 2018, 22:23

i just finished re-lubing my FC660C with Superlube oil and the stabs with SuperLube grease.. that was recommended to me by Hypersphere him self ;)
Great advise i also added hypersphere rings. and thinking of grabbing an extra set of keyclack rings and sum domes to test out .. Mykeyboards is selling the domes and he's also getting the new run of topre Silencing rings from Keyclack.

He also sells sum lube if you don't want to use the Superlube oil and grease. i personaly like it performs well enough and i can relube as much as i want. one bottle will last me a life time same goes for the grease..

Btw i'm using Hasu controller it's well worth the €€ easy to program and a god send on my mac finally i can change the volume on my laptop without having to reach over to it as it's connected to an external monitor...

Don't know if someone answered your question of the fn key .. i still use it as a switch to 2e layer..and have my spacebar doubling as a spacebar and switch to 3e level. when pressed the f key turns in to a second backspace easy to remember as f stands for f..ck and j for dutch ja / yes hahaha having two important keys close is nice...
in short you can do anything you want.. haven't discovered any limit yet..

TuxKey
LLAP

06 Mar 2018, 22:31

i have a couple of spare spacebars...i never used..the only one i use is the red PBT with red Esc key...
That's color enough for me.hahahah
will wait for Topre to bring out something new that has everything i need for now i'm happy with it.
Thinking i don't need the black and blue spacebars will sell does in the future..and my FC660M with mx-clears also needs to go as i don't use it anymore.. that one is rare as Leopold announced way back they are no longer making it with mx-clears..
FC660 goodness
FC660 goodness
Dvorak_experiment.JPG (1.67 MiB) Viewed 4572 times

Luna
Alt255

18 Mar 2018, 22:28

On another note, I wonder if it would be possible to make a Realforce RGB 55g.
What would that take? Just change the domes, not the springs?
And would the variable actuation still work?

Topre Enthusiast

19 Mar 2018, 03:33

Luna wrote: On another note, I wonder if it would be possible to make a Realforce RGB 55g.
Yep, just domes need replacing and variable actuation would still work.

Luna
Alt255

19 Mar 2018, 06:21

Damn. Why don’t they just sell the sheets separately or even better, 55g RGBs.

You know you got a fine keyboard when you wake up, sit down on the couch with a coffee, start typing on your iPad and think "naaah" and go sit in front of your computer instead typing on a real keyboard. :)

Luna
Alt255

19 Mar 2018, 06:55

TuxKey wrote: Great advise i also added hypersphere rings. and thinking of grabbing an extra set of keyclack rings and sum domes to test out .. Mykeyboards is selling the domes and he's also getting the new run of topre Silencing rings from Keyclack.

Btw i'm using Hasu controller it's well worth the €€ easy to program and a god send on my mac finally i can change the volume on my laptop without having to reach over to it as it's connected to an external monitor...

Don't know if someone answered your question of the fn key .. i still use it as a switch to 2e layer..and have my spacebar doubling as a spacebar and switch to 3e level. when pressed the f key turns in to a second backspace easy to remember as f stands for f..ck and j for dutch ja / yes hahaha having two important keys close is nice...
in short you can do anything you want.. haven't discovered any limit yet..
Where can I find "Mykeyboards"? I only found Mykeyboard.EU but he doesn't sell the hyperspheres, domes and keyclacks.
EDIT: found them, sorry.

I have a Hasu lying here to put in the black Leopold I'm going to mod when I get it. If I really like it I might get a second one to put in my white Leopold that I wish to keyp standard otherwise.

If anyone has some colored enter keys lying around I'd be happy to buy them.
Last edited by Luna on 19 Mar 2018, 07:03, edited 1 time in total.

Luna
Alt255

19 Mar 2018, 07:02

002 wrote:
Luna wrote: On another note, I wonder if it would be possible to make a Realforce RGB 55g.
Yep, just domes need replacing and variable actuation would still work.
Would the single domes from mykeyboard.eu be a good idea?
Or is it better to use a whole sheet?

Topre Enthusiast

19 Mar 2018, 07:36

Luna wrote: Would the single domes from mykeyboard.eu be a good idea?
I think it's just easier to install a whole sheet but good luck finding one in 55g. As for the individual BKE domes, I've heard conflicting reports, but overall they seem to get positive reviews.

Luna
Alt255

19 Mar 2018, 07:41

002 wrote:
Luna wrote: Would the single domes from mykeyboard.eu be a good idea?
I think it's just easier to install a whole sheet but good luck finding one in 55g. As for the individual BKE domes, I've heard conflicting reports, but overall they seem to get positive reviews.
Thanks, I'm going to get a sample pack and try them out.
What do you think about hyperspheres vs keyclacks vs no silencers?
I'm not intersted in the sound at all as I don't mind it, just interested in the feel. If either the hyperspheres or keyclacks can make the keys even feel better I'd install them. I'm worried about shorter travel though.

Topre Enthusiast

19 Mar 2018, 08:11

I haven't tried hypersphere or keyclack silencing rings but I do have factory silenced Realforce keyboards and I don't really like them, but that's just me -- I prefer the upstroke sound and feel of a standard 45g Realforce. The upstroke of BKE domes is a lot snappier I've heard so maybe silencing rings have a better effect in that setup.

Luna
Alt255

19 Mar 2018, 08:18

What method do the factory silenced ones use?
Yep, probably different feel for the ehevier ones. I sent a mail to Mykeyboard (local guy here) to ask when he will have the Keyclacks.
I think the Keycalcks will be more to my preference than the Hyperspheres since they seem to be thinner than the rings.

Topre Enthusiast

19 Mar 2018, 08:48

Hypersphere rings are close copies to factory silencing. Foam ring with a plastic backing:

wobbled

19 Mar 2018, 10:27

KBDfans Silence-X are the best and thinnest rings you can get. They don't affect tactility at all

Luna
Alt255

19 Mar 2018, 11:12

Just read up a bit and both the Keyclacks and Silence-X seem to have problems.
I also read favorable reviews of the hyperspheres combined with the heavy domes I plan to install so I 'll try those instead.

wobbled

19 Mar 2018, 11:21

What sort of problems? I have used silence x on several topre boards with no issues. Hyperspheres are horribly overpriced

Luna
Alt255

19 Mar 2018, 11:45

Here's one of the links I encountered.
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb ... bke_domes/

wobbled

19 Mar 2018, 12:27

Yeh I can see there are some down sides, they are a pain in the ass to install because of how ridiculously thin they are, but you ideally want them to be that thin anyway to keep all tactility. I have never had the rings slide up the slider wall, they should be fine if installed correctly.
If you have the money for Hyperspheres then by all means go for it, but there are some people that notice a drop in tactility when using those. I suppose if you use BKE that will be less of a problem. I recommend light redux for decent tactility and sound. Heavys sound shit imo

Luna
Alt255

19 Mar 2018, 14:01

So, surgery performed on the NovaTouch. I took out all the sliders and stabs and put the rest back together, didn't even take off the domes.

I'll be looking to sell it off but wonder what it would go for.

It's brand new, I just got it last week. It comes with the packaging, manual, cable, puller, o-rings, keycaps, case, plate, PCB, domes and springs. ISO Italian layout.
IMG_0593-private.jpg
IMG_0593-private.jpg (4.5 MiB) Viewed 4446 times
IMG_0595-private.jpg
IMG_0595-private.jpg (3.63 MiB) Viewed 4446 times
IMG_0594-private.jpg
IMG_0594-private.jpg (3.79 MiB) Viewed 4446 times

Luna
Alt255

19 Mar 2018, 23:17

Nobody here has any colored enter or cursor keys for Topre by any chance?

Return to “Workshop”