Coiled barcode scanner USB cable on IBM Model F

tigpha

18 Apr 2018, 10:30

Coiled-USB-barcode-scanner-cable-IBM-Model-F.png
Coiled-USB-barcode-scanner-cable-IBM-Model-F.png (2.81 MiB) Viewed 2122 times
tigpha wrote:
tigpha wrote: Hmm... What about USB A to RJ45 Coiled Spiral Extension Cable that sells for £10?
Just received one of these. The "RJ45" plug is actually a 10P10C modular connector, with a loop of wire connecting two of the pins together. Snipped that off (have no sockets available to match it). The wire itself is foil screened four conductor standard USB cable, with very sturdy neutral grey PVC insulation. Not bad coiled cable at all.
Definitely a worthy upgrade! Not quite the beige colour of the original cable, but certainly the same industrial aesthetic. Much, much tougher than the pathetic USB cables I've found so far. Probably will last another three decades.

ScottPaladin

18 Apr 2018, 17:55

Very interesting they're pretty reasonably priced on US Amazon too.

Gonna snag one.

JP!

19 Apr 2018, 17:12

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

elecplus

19 Apr 2018, 18:33

So this is to attach to a controller to make the F122s USB compat? I have original F122 coiled cables, but I don't think that will help much.

tigpha

22 Apr 2018, 09:43

Hi Elecplus, The cable connects to an ATMEL controller inside. So far this is the closest modern equivalent I've found for original coiled cables, for a reasonable cost.

I also bought this other longer one from ebay, but the plastic is different. It doesn't have the same "snap" to the coiling, and doesn't seem so resistant to abrasion. The first one from amazon is recommended.

elecplus

26 Apr 2018, 21:42

These are the ones we save from the terminal boards we are killing right now. The PN is 1390303, and the date on this one is Feb 12, 1985! Nice and thick, definitely holds the coils well. Obviously this one still needs to be cleaned.
IMG_6277.JPG
IMG_6277.JPG (615.43 KiB) Viewed 1952 times

Return to “Workshop”