How to fix (too) tight Topre PBT spacebars?

the_marsbar

04 May 2018, 09:52

I have recently received a couple of PBT spacebars from Massdrop. However, I can not seem to mount them properly. There is definately an issue with the stabilizer holes being a bit too small. I have tried pushing really hard, but I am afraid to do damage to the keyboard.

Does anyone have an idea for expanding the holes a bit, such that the spacebars will mount?

the_marsbar

04 May 2018, 10:58

Did I post this in the wrong place? I was a bit unsure where to put it.

Myoth

04 May 2018, 11:05

what keyboard do you have and which spacebar do you have ? I've never heard of this problem :/

(you did post in the right place I'm pretty sure)

the_marsbar

04 May 2018, 11:06

Oh, sorry. I completely missed that.

It's a Massdrop Topre PBT spacebar (LINK), and a HHKB Pro 2.

Myoth

04 May 2018, 11:14

I'd like to think that you probably aren't pushing it hard enough but I also don't want to encourage you to do so if you feel like it's going to break something. As I said, this is a really weird problem and never have I heard something like that /:

Maybe MD fucked up but that's unlikely since people would be all over bashing MD right now if they did.

I don't know man ...

the_marsbar

04 May 2018, 11:23

I've been thinking about it the last few days. Maybe I'll think some more :)

Topre Enthusiast

04 May 2018, 11:45

I had the same problem with my PBT Massdrop spacebars -- I needed to press the frig out of them to get them seated properly.

wobbled

04 May 2018, 11:50

It could be warped on one side? Use a heatgun or hair dryer and try straighten it out. Or try install it while the plastic is hot, it should be more forgiving.

the_marsbar

04 May 2018, 14:36

002: Alright, maybe I should try again.

wobbled: Thanks for that suggestion, that sounds like a good idea.

I have a OEM profile "regular" spacebar which is much more screwed than these though, and I start to see a pattern with PBT spacebars. They seem difficult to get right, and I am now a bit concerned about the "outer spacebars" that I recently ordered from Massdrop. Maybe I can learn how to fix these, and all my future PBT spacebar-problems will disappear :)

Laser
emacs -nw

04 May 2018, 15:06

KBDFans also have PBT spacebars - I bought two (one black, one white). I only tested the white one on a HHKB and it was ok.

Return to “Workshop”