Did someone ever tried to boltmod a model F?

PlacaFromHell

25 May 2018, 00:24

Hi. I wonder if it's possible to boltmod an IBM model F. Along with the beamsprings are the best keyboards ever made, but tabs are a completely crap. My keyboard just exploded when I was trying to make it fit in the external case and I don't feel secure with this thing assembled like that.

fohat
Elder Messenger

25 May 2018, 01:54

in my guide I discuss this. "Explode" indicates to me that your plates were just barely engaged with the tabs rather than slid all the way in. Once the tabs are engaged the barrels will not move and you can stand the inner assembly on end and use a hammer to slide the plates the rest of the way together.

For the past few years, I have added 3 bolts to every F-122 that I have have refurbished (and similar/comparable ones to AT and 107-key models):

Between Left Shift/CapsLock and left F6 and F8
Between 5% and upper F5
Diagonally between Enter and Left Arrow

Please locate the holes in the PCB first to ensure that you are not cutting traces!

PlacaFromHell

25 May 2018, 02:49

Thanks! Anyway I'm talking about do a complete boltmod. Maybe a new barrel plate would be needed. I destroyed my Wheelwriter for some parts and the backplate looks identical than the one from the XT but with some holes, good material for experiments. Should some bolts be capable of exert the necessary pressure to make the keyboard work properly?

Return to “Workshop”