Costar 1101P - "Ze retröbrite! It doez nothing!"

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

13 Jun 2018, 01:35

Well here I am again filling up the workshop board with more half finished projects.

This time I'm working on fixing up a Contec (rebranded Costar) keyboard. This board has clicky amber omron switches and the board itself is nearly as yellow as the switches.
Spoiler:

My plan is to peroxide the heck out of it until it is a beige beauty again. Once I'm able to look at it without thinking about big bird, I'll see if it works. This may see counter intuitive (it is). That's okay, it's still my game plan.
Spoiler:

So far though, I'm not having much luck with the peroxide. I think I need some stronger stuff for this.

Also two things I found hilarious:

1) a dead bug
Spoiler:
ChewDrebby claims it was "very much alive when he sent it" but the autopsy says otherwise
2) clicky box of joy
Spoiler:

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

13 Jun 2018, 04:27

Retr0bright works best in my experience when you lay out a plastic sheet and put all of the keycaps into rows, covering them individually with peroxide gel. In order to prevent drying, just add a second sheet on top everything to seal.

ScottPaladin

13 Jun 2018, 21:49

Peroxide also works well with heat instead of UV light. It's harder to pull off with cases but keycaps can be dunked in it and gently heated. But be careful; too high a heat can soften the plastics and case them to warp, especially spacebars.

If you''re a foodie and have (or are interested in) an immersion heater for sous vide, it can double up for this purpose as well. Works a treat.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

14 Jun 2018, 15:58

ScottPaladin wrote: Peroxide also works well with heat instead of UV light. It's harder to pull off with cases but keycaps can be dunked in it and gently heated. But be careful; too high a heat can soften the plastics and case them to warp, especially spacebars.

If you''re a foodie and have (or are interested in) an immersion heater for sous vide, it can double up for this purpose as well. Works a treat.
Hmmm I just had a genius (read stupid) idea. What if I left the mixture in my hot car?

andrewjoy

14 Jun 2018, 16:11

Hmm hot peroxide in a car ? Don't think that's the best idea mate

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

14 Jun 2018, 16:14

andrewjoy wrote: Hmm hot peroxide in a car ? Don't think that's the best idea mate

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

14 Jun 2018, 16:41

ScottPaladin wrote: Peroxide also works well with heat instead of UV light. It's harder to pull off with cases but keycaps can be dunked in it and gently heated. But be careful; too high a heat can soften the plastics and case them to warp, especially spacebars.

heat with peroxide is also prone to bleaching plastics. be very careful when doing this.

Chyros

14 Jun 2018, 16:48

andrewjoy wrote: Hmm hot peroxide in a car ? Don't think that's the best idea mate
Depends on how much you object to creating a potential car bomb.

I would also strongly adivse anyone against heating peroxides unless you're a trained chemist.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

14 Jun 2018, 16:59

Chyros wrote: I would also strongly adivse anyone against heating peroxides unless you're a trained chemist.
I'm potty trained but that's about the extent of my formal training. I'll still with the traditional methods for retrobriting.

andrewjoy

14 Jun 2018, 17:50

Chyros wrote:
I would also strongly adivse anyone against heating peroxides unless you're a trained chemist.

Nah it will be fine , just make sure you have some protection on like pajama bottoms and a tshirt.

Handling peroxides in only your boxers is not a good idea , trust me .

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

14 Jun 2018, 17:55

Are drug store peroxides (< 40%) even concentrated enough for any of the nastier reactions to occur?

andrewjoy

14 Jun 2018, 17:57

I am not sure, but they sure will turn your skin white if you touch the stronger ones.

And that does go for your fat belly when your retrobriteing in your underpants.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

14 Jun 2018, 18:46

andrewjoy wrote: I am not sure, but they sure will turn your skin white if you touch the stronger ones.

And that does go for your fat belly when your retrobriteing in your underpants.
my ghost white thumb seconds this cautionary note

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

17 Jun 2018, 02:08

I'm making goop. Do you want a scoop?

Had the case soaking in 3% peroxide for about a week and it's lightened up quite a bit but still not to its original glory. I'm sort of using this board as an experiment so I'm not disappointed in the results. Gonna continue to to play around with some low concentration products and see what's possible with items available in the grocery store.

Edit: wrong image
Last edited by snacksthecat on 17 Jun 2018, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

29 Jun 2018, 00:15

I've created an event chamber to transport my keycaps to a dimension where they are not yellow.

Dingster

29 Jun 2018, 00:19

"Professional Keyboard and Keycap Bleacher"

andrewjoy

29 Jun 2018, 11:06

Be VERY careful with UV bulbs, if they produce UV-C then they can burn your skin and damage your eyes very quickly ( within a few mins).

UV-C bulbs are mainly use to sterilise a room or water as it kills everything and produces laods of ozone.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

04 Jul 2018, 15:15

I'm happy to report that this is slowly but surely working.

I've refined my setup a bit using a plastic tub and broomstick that I had sitting around. Now my plastic bits can get the direct rays that they so desperately need.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

08 Jul 2018, 20:14

This keyboard is AT/XT switchable via a switch on the back. And since the cable was cut, I was thinking of flashing a Soarer's converter and putting it on the inside. I was initially having some issues with the AT setting, but it seems to have worked itself out (probably a short or something).

Return to “Workshop”