G80-11900 PCB?

abrahamstechnology

17 Jul 2018, 01:31

Hello, I attempted to swap the switches in a Cherry G80-11900 keyboard, from MX Black to a Blue clone, as the person who wanted it liked the feel of the blues better, but the project has been ruined by Cherry's "spit-and-cardboard" PCB, pads kept lifting, and by the end, many of the keys did not work. After that, I spent hours adding jumper wires and probing with my multimeter to try to get it to work. No luck, the only key that decided to work again was the wrong letter. Then it fell off my desk and a corner cracked off.
So, I am giving up on this PCB, and I was wondering, has anyone ever designed a replacement PCB for the G80-11900?

If not, I will gladly pay someone to do so, I don't care if the original PS/2 ports are used or not, as long as the trackpad works also.

Also, of course, I will make the design open-source so others can use it for their G80-11900's.
Last edited by abrahamstechnology on 17 Jul 2018, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.

rickard.von.essen

17 Jul 2018, 09:12

Where are you located? Maybe someone skilled in PCB repair can fix the PCB for you.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nuum

17 Jul 2018, 10:25

There is this one on Taobao: https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail ... 6101647227
I have one, but I didn't build the keyboard it is intended for, yet. The quality seems a bit cheap, it is quite bend, but from shorting the pads it seems to work fine. It also seems to have a connector for the touchpad/trackball.

abrahamstechnology

17 Jul 2018, 13:32

rickard.von.essen wrote: Where are you located? Maybe someone skilled in PCB repair can fix the PCB for you.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I believe I've thoroughly trashed this PCB, also I'd rather pay for the design of a new one that is made out of better materials. I found a stash of G80-11900s with doubleshot keycaps and would love to cleanly retrofit them with different types of switches. Me and my other family members like the unique look of this board, but not the MX blacks.

abrahamstechnology

17 Jul 2018, 13:34

Nuum wrote: There is this one on Taobao: https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail ... 6101647227
I have one, but I didn't build the keyboard it is intended for, yet. The quality seems a bit cheap, it is quite bend, but from shorting the pads it seems to work fine. It also seems to have a connector for the touchpad/trackball.
That link says the listing was removed. How much would you charge for your PCB? (I live in the USA) I may use it as a last resort if I can't find anyone to design one.

abrahamstechnology

17 Jul 2018, 14:17

Never mind, the page just renders terribly in Chrome for some reason.

abrahamstechnology

17 Jul 2018, 14:38

Nuum wrote: There is this one on Taobao: https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail ... 6101647227
I finally found the desktop version of that site, but it's unfortunately out of stock.

Nuum

19 Jul 2018, 00:15

Oh, I didn't notice it was a mobile link.
I do not intend to sell the PCB, sorry! I too like the form factor and would like to rebuild an old G80-11800 with some custom keycaps with that PCB.

Return to “Workshop”