MT3 Doubleshot

Muirium
µ

31 Aug 2018, 22:08

Right. The vintage inspired key set I loaned my beamspring caps to model for. Was devtty dyesub? Keypuller’s down and I see nothing in the wiki for it.

zslane

31 Aug 2018, 22:22

I'm perfectly happy with Monotone text mods, like you have in the Monotone kit.

zslane

31 Aug 2018, 22:23

Muirium wrote: Was devtty dyesub?
Yes.

Laser
emacs -nw

31 Aug 2018, 22:24

.. and PBT :) Today MD shipped my round 2 base kit + triumph mods.

Muirium
µ

01 Sep 2018, 09:32

Ooh! Dyesubs! Perhaps it’s a good time to poke Matteo about the favour…
matt3o wrote: I will let have a free set to whoever sends me a complete set of hi-pro that will be used as reference.

I'll do my best to have the original set returned, but it might take some time.
I sent him a beamspring selection from a 3278. Got the ibm originals back safe and sound long ago. But still to see the new boys!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

01 Sep 2018, 10:41

not trying to put this on you, man... but you completely vanished.

Muirium
µ

01 Sep 2018, 14:16

Very true, I did. Still willing, however!

Ennea

05 Sep 2018, 16:01

I will buy this in a heartbeat once it goes live. Please make it happen! I've loved MT3 so much ever since I put /dev/tty on my work board, I just need something dark for my home board now. One thing I'm not sure about, though: having an ABS set with a PBT spacebar, like you said. I think I'd rather not mix and match and have it all be ABS.

rubbermilitia

05 Sep 2018, 17:04

This looks very cool. I would like an mT3 set in doubleshot ABS. I'm not sure if there are others out there, but I prefer ABS to PBT, and obviously I also prefer doubleshot to dyesub.

PBT tends to have a rough matte feeling to it. I like the smooth glossy feeling of ABS, and I'm fine with wear over time.

armatus

06 Sep 2018, 09:26

it there chances of ergodox kit?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Sep 2018, 19:02

armatus wrote: it there chances of ergodox kit?
yes, but it would be blank

chuckdee

07 Sep 2018, 02:21

matt3o wrote: These are the preliminary kits. Not sure about ergodox yet.
Spacebars and Blanks are just not part of these kits, I hope?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Sep 2018, 08:17

yeah there are many spacebars, not sure about blanks honestly

armatus

07 Sep 2018, 08:36

matt3o wrote:
yes, but it would be blank
good, if not for 100+ price like in recent sets!

cods

07 Sep 2018, 14:55

Looks good. I like my round 1 mt3, and the extras from r2, in for r3!

Vizir

08 Sep 2018, 02:24

i hope the set has 2.25u and 2.75u spacebars. both the mt3 /dev/tty r1 and r2 were missing those.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

09 Sep 2018, 08:27

Vizir wrote: i hope the set has 2.25u and 2.75u spacebars. both the mt3 /dev/tty r1 and r2 were missing those.
we'll add more spacebars in round 3, but not for double shot

Mazian

09 Sep 2018, 17:41

Interesting typeface, I particularly like the digits.

What sort of line thickness requirements does the doubleshot manufacturing process impose? In particular for very thin features, like the line between the padlock and hasp for the Caps Lock key - would that be wide enough for reliable filling when the plastic is injected?

zslane

09 Sep 2018, 18:53

The typeface looks like DIN 1451.

overstrike

09 Sep 2018, 19:24

I'm in.

Matteo, since you're working with the devil Massdrop anyway, you might suggest working some kind of bundle with the next round of the CTRL / ALT keyboards -- the gunmetal anodization of these looks really good with dark caps, but not so much any others. (The one sticking point might be that they're RGB backlit -- shine-through on the caps doesn't matter to me, though.)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

10 Sep 2018, 09:16

Mazian wrote: Interesting typeface, I particularly like the digits.

What sort of line thickness requirements does the doubleshot manufacturing process impose? In particular for very thin features, like the line between the padlock and hasp for the Caps Lock key - would that be wide enough for reliable filling when the plastic is injected?
that vastly depends on the manufacturer, since it's the first time I work with them it is soon to be discovered. I'll start with very fine details and lower resolution until we find the sweet spot. Hopefully they are good enough.

ThePewster

12 Sep 2018, 18:28

Muirium wrote: @Hanischen: I agree with you re: the British government. I voted for Scotland to leave this miserable remnant of a country back in 2014 and Brexit has only made the case more urgent.

off-topic-f10/scottish-independence-t8652.html

I once got charged a hundred quid for processing on something I bought from Hong Kong. The seller had over declared it, and customs bought themselves an office party at my expense. Bastards. Then there was the time I was charged £12 for TWO caps!

I don’t really care all that much who I’m being taxed by. But it must be fair and bloody clear. This ain’t that.

@Laser: I’m with you on material. I’m all done with ABS. (Well, unless it’s IBM tripleshots!) PBT feels so much nicer, and spares me the worry of it turning bad with time. Matteo implies something similar in the OP. There’s a time and a place for ABS, and perhaps you, like me, have simply had our full!
I can feel your pain. In my country, anything above $20 gets charged 45% custom duties. I've bled for a pair of $249 earphones and $88 Keycaps from MD. Now add roughly $24 shipping fees. Yeah, it sucks 2x more here. No local presence. People still using $30 cheapass mechanical boards.

chuckdee

12 Sep 2018, 19:09

Shihatsu wrote: Well, basically because they are nowadays a monopolist. Deeper into the shithole comes the accquisition of GH, their own QA (or should I say the non existence of the same), the communication disaster around the Q70 (albeit this is also GMKs failure, too), the whole carbon GB, Umlauts with MT1, and these are just the things from the past 6-12 months...
Your definition of monopolist is a lot different than the accepted definition I think. And all companies make mistakes. Look at Kono's mistakes as of late. But do they correct them in some way? I think in most cases, the answer is 'yes', though perhaps not the perfect solution.

Back on the subject, Figured I'd link this here too:

https://matt3o.com/susuwatari-the-first ... et-on-mt3/

Slom

12 Sep 2018, 19:28

chuckdee wrote:
Shihatsu wrote: Well, basically because they are nowadays a monopolist. Deeper into the shithole comes the accquisition of GH, their own QA (or should I say the non existence of the same), the communication disaster around the Q70 (albeit this is also GMKs failure, too), the whole carbon GB, Umlauts with MT1, and these are just the things from the past 6-12 months...
Your definition of monopolist is a lot different than the accepted definition I think. And all companies make mistakes. Look at Kono's mistakes as of late. But do they correct them in some way? I think in most cases, the answer is 'yes', though perhaps not the perfect solution.

Back on the subject, Figured I'd link this here too:

https://matt3o.com/susuwatari-the-first ... et-on-mt3/
I was one of the guys that had the umlaut "problem".

It was fully fixed for me, took its time but now I'm happy :) They even managed to include a correct invoice, so I didn't even have to visit the tax office O_O

Oblotzky

13 Sep 2018, 23:46

I had the honor to do some renders for this set, so here you go! Please not that there might be some changes still, and I'll update them accordingly down the road.

rubbermilitia

14 Sep 2018, 00:17

Nice, looks great on doro67

Oblotzky

14 Sep 2018, 00:36

rubbermilitia wrote: Nice, looks great on doro67
That's M65-A

rubbermilitia

14 Sep 2018, 00:37

Oblotzky wrote:
rubbermilitia wrote: Nice, looks great on doro67
That's M65-A
Same difference

zslane

14 Sep 2018, 01:56

I love that second-to-last render.

If there's one way to improve upon the Dolch colorway, it's to give it amber legends.

chuckdee

14 Sep 2018, 03:28

Wow... those renders are great Oblotzky! They have me excited about getting the set!

Return to “Workshop”