ibm model f xt pcb

gianni

30 Aug 2018, 15:01

Hello, are there any projects for a working model f xt pcb? I'm going to use it on xt and bigfoot keyboards. I think that a new pcb plus an xwhatsit controller would be a nice combo.

Thanks for any suggestions.

JBert

30 Aug 2018, 15:08

If you mean making your own you could read the XTant and Model MF project threads:

workshop-f7/bringing-the-ibm-pc-xt-into ... t3047.html
workshop-f7/remodeling-the-model-m-t13796.html

xueyao

30 Aug 2018, 15:09

The stock XT controller can be easily adapted to USB. Why go through the trouble of replacing the PCB and controller?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

gianni

30 Aug 2018, 15:11

xueyao wrote: The stock XT controller can be easily adapted to USB. Why go through the trouble of replacing the PCB and controller?

What do you mean with adapted? Do you mean an external soarer's converter? It surely works with the xt, but the bigfoot, I'm not sure that there's such thing. Or probably it works with some bigfoots, while it doesn't with others.
Last edited by gianni on 30 Aug 2018, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.

gianni

30 Aug 2018, 15:16

JBert wrote: If you mean making your own you could read the XTant and Model MF project threads:

workshop-f7/bringing-the-ibm-pc-xt-into ... t3047.html
workshop-f7/remodeling-the-model-m-t13796.html
Thanks, for the links, I'll read and then ask the project leaders if the have some pcbs already available.

DMA

30 Aug 2018, 15:51

cut traces on existing PCB separating matrix from controller, solder the controller to matrix. CommonSense will work, with xwhatsit YMMV.

xueyao

30 Aug 2018, 16:54

gianni wrote:
xueyao wrote: The stock XT controller can be easily adapted to USB. Why go through the trouble of replacing the PCB and controller?

What do you mean with adapted? Do you mean an external soarer's converter? It surely works with the xt, but the bigfoot, I'm not sure that there's such thing. Or probably it works with some bigfoots, while it doesn't with others.
Bigfoot has been successfully converted with a teensy. Can't find the thread now but it's fully documented and seems quite doable.

Muirium
µ

30 Aug 2018, 16:59

Yup. Much, much less effort, expense and destruction to convert with a Teensy inside than swap out the original electronics.

Return to “Workshop”