[HELP] Teensy++ 2.0 for a 6 Button Foot pedal - wiring and FW?

CeeSA

04 Sep 2018, 11:03

I would like to use a Teensy++ 2.0 for using this foot pedal:

So I have 6 columns and only 1 row.
Each button/switch has 2 connectors.
And I know the pin out page of "my" Teensy https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/pinout.html

I would like to have:
- easy programmable buttons (for a normal computer user)
- KRO (2 or more buttons recognized at the same time, with other keyboard input possible)

Questions (how to):
- wire setup
- pin setup teensy
- do I need diods?
- programming

I might should be able to find out all things by myself, but I am really short in time atm.
Maybe I could thank the helpings hands be sending a paracord mouse cable or a little money.

I would really appreciate it.

Muirium
µ

04 Sep 2018, 14:21

Should be pretty easy. Soarer's Controller could handle it. You don't even need a matrix with so few "keys." You can just hook each switch straight up to a pin each. That gives you full NKRO without any diodes.

workshop-f7/soarer-s-keyboard-controlle ... t6767.html

The only bit I'd worry about is what counts as "easy programmable buttons (for a normal computer user)." Soarer's isn't hard, but it is a bit technical for normal users. This might be a job for Hasu's / QMK's web UI, which I know less about.

CeeSA

04 Sep 2018, 15:56

hmm....
Soldering:
Button 1 - PD01
Button 2 - PD02
Button 3 - PD03
Button 4 - PD04
Button 5 - PD05
Button 6 - PD06

plus GND to every button ofc.

That shoud be doable for me ;)

than I need the config file (e.g. 6_button.sc)
The examples are all for matrix layout. :shock:

Code: Select all

scanrate 1
	debounce 5
	blocking 0
some example line would be nice

Let's say I would like to program these keys:
PD01 - o
PD02 - p
PD03 - ü
PD04 - l
PD05 - ö
PD06 - ä

Muirium
µ

04 Sep 2018, 16:01

You’re SOL. I’m just on my phone today. Soarer’s docs are good but you’ll need to download his zips and take a look at the /doc folders. A lot of Controller stuff is in the Converter documentation. Historical reasons.

As far as distant memory serves, you can define 1:1 pin:switch mappings with something like “extra”. Years since I read it. It’s definitely in there.

CeeSA

04 Sep 2018, 16:59

I checked the docs, but there is no "extra" command. All commands are below the section 'matrix'.

The converter docs.... much more to check but I did not found or understand enough.... :oops:

Muirium
µ

04 Sep 2018, 17:31

Fair enough. Maybe soarers needs you to make a 1x6 matrix after all.

You could try Hasu’s or whatever. I use his replacement HHKB controller so I know the user interface is good. But I know dick about actually programming the thing. Others here do.

JBert

04 Sep 2018, 17:44

CeeSA wrote: hmm....
Soldering:
Button 6 - PD06
PD06 is shared with the Teensy LED. Better use any other port if you want to avoid trouble.

Also, if you want to use Soarer's Controller firmware then you need to connect the other ends of the buttons to some other port instead of GND.

It isn't that hard to define a 1x6 matrix though because you don't need any diodes for NKRO (the matrix is just a single row, there's no "crossings"). And because you don't use diodes there's no way you can mess up the direction the current is flowing in.

JBert

04 Sep 2018, 18:25

If you would solder all switches with one pole to PB07 (pin closest to GND near connector) and then to PD01-5 + PD07 then this is how such a Soarer config might look:

Code: Select all

matrix
    blocking 0

sense       PD1         PD2         PD3         PD4         PD5         PD7
    strobe PB7  O           P           LEFT_BRACE  L           SEMICOLON   QUOTE
end
Note that the matrix config should specify QWERTY keys, which your computer then translates to QWERTZ. And if you don't have QWERTZ you might need to look up some codes in Soarer's documentation.

CeeSA

04 Sep 2018, 18:52

Thank you both!

I will try the JBert solution.

You will receive both a PM ;)

*edit*
Success :D

Muirium
µ

04 Sep 2018, 21:48

Thanks CeeSA. And congrats on the success.

Is this footboard for a user who needs to type German while lacking those characters on their keyboard? You can make macros in Soarer’s controller to type umlauts. It’s exactly the same instructions as doing it in his Converter. The trigger for each desired macro can be simply each one of those keys. He has special names you can use for them so the controller sees them instead of the host, then fires its macro magic.

CeeSA

04 Sep 2018, 22:28

no, it's for a friend. Tbh, he is a gamer. ;)

Back in the days I always game with a "footboard". I uses a joystick for movement (left hand, right hand for mouse) so I missed some keys.

Muirium
µ

13 Sep 2018, 19:14

A rather fetching red paracord mini USB cable came in the mail yesterday and duly charged my HHKB last night. Nice work CeeSA! I’ve been needing one of those I can recognise at night.

If you want help with macros, just mention it. Soarer’s magic can do just about anything when you know the spells.

Return to “Workshop”