DEC VT100, Teensy USB

OldIsNew

17 Sep 2018, 03:03

I've always thought these were kind of cool looking boards so when I came across one on the cheap I picked it up.
DEC_VT100_Front2_small.jpg
DEC_VT100_Front2_small.jpg (375.37 KiB) Viewed 1818 times
DEC_VT100_Back2_small.jpg
DEC_VT100_Back2_small.jpg (352.3 KiB) Viewed 1809 times

The case is dated June 16, 1983
case_label_small.jpg
case_label_small.jpg (287.65 KiB) Viewed 1809 times
DEC_VT100_Open2_small.jpg
DEC_VT100_Open2_small.jpg (410.04 KiB) Viewed 1818 times
Hi Tek switches, which are not my favorite:
keycaps_off1_small.jpg
keycaps_off1_small.jpg (376.13 KiB) Viewed 1809 times
I traced out the matrix then desoldered the appropriate ICs and wired up the Teensy:
Teensy_small.jpg
Teensy_small.jpg (368.4 KiB) Viewed 1818 times
The case has a speaker - I'm not sure what it was originally used for but I went ahead and hooked it up to provide key clicks:
speaker_small.jpg
speaker_small.jpg (347.33 KiB) Viewed 1818 times
Up and running and typing on it now.
Finished_small.jpg
Finished_small.jpg (265.56 KiB) Viewed 1818 times
VT100_side_small.jpg
VT100_side_small.jpg (132.12 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
As I mentioned, Hi Tek switches are not a favorite of mine - they can be rather scratchy. I found, however, that a little lube makes a big difference. Lubed up it's pretty usable!

Sangdrax

17 Sep 2018, 11:25

Cool. I think I saw this one for sale awhile back. Thought it had tall keytronic because of the shape of the modifiers and the return. I've never tried the old waffle grid. How do they compare to the later linear space invaders?

OldIsNew

17 Sep 2018, 20:12

Sangdrax wrote: ... I've never tried the old waffle grid. How do they compare to the later linear space invaders?
I guess I shouldn't have just thrown Hi Tek under the bus like that. The Hi-Tek High Profile waffle grid switches are just OK in my opinion - seem fairly scratchy, although the lube did help. The ones on my DEC also rather heavy, though I don't personally really mind that.

I have a Televideo 935 board with white linear Hi-Tek 725 Space Invader switches and I think those switches are smooth and actually quite nice. I'd say the Space Invaders win hands down.

Muirium
µ

17 Sep 2018, 20:34

This is my experience too. Black Space Invaders are authentically great switches, and I imagine the linear versions are just as smooth but without the oh so juicy click. Waffle grid, meanwhile, well, what’s to say? I’ve played with many and they’re all equally scratchy, deeply dissatisfying junk. Cherry MY level nasty. Pity, as the vintage boards they’re in and their double shots are nice enough. If lube can really save them, it’s sure got its work cut out!

OldIsNew

18 Sep 2018, 04:36

Muirium wrote: ... Waffle grid, meanwhile, well, what’s to say? I’ve played with many and they’re all equally scratchy, deeply dissatisfying junk.
I didn't say they were great, but I don't think they're quite that bad, lol!

I went ahead and connected the lock lights to three of the onboard LEDs and made a quick video of typing on the board:

Return to “Workshop”