Another new project (IBM PCJr)

tatsurou

04 Dec 2018, 05:20

Henlo again,

I bought this abomination of a keyboard for 10USD since nobody likes them and will try to turn it into something more up to date (different switches maybe?)

Any ideas perhaps? I liked the style of CA66 keyboards to be fair. :D

tatsurou

04 Dec 2018, 05:45

Calculator electronics:

PCJr patented breast implant tactile switch:

All make perfect combination where they belong:

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

04 Dec 2018, 06:17

I like where this is going

zrrion

04 Dec 2018, 06:35

This is off to a much better start than I was expecting honestly.

depletedvespene

04 Dec 2018, 12:02

An abomination of a keyboard, indeed. I respect your technical ability for restoration, although I wouldn't bother with this thing.

Anyway, mind if I reuse your picture of the keyboard so I can make a shitpo... a post-mortem analysis of the PCjr's keyboard's layout? :)

tatsurou

04 Dec 2018, 14:44

Yeah, use it whenever you want:)

JBert

04 Dec 2018, 19:08

tatsurou wrote: Calculator electronics:

The waving quality of those hand-drawn traces on that PCB though... :)

tatsurou

05 Dec 2018, 00:41

yea, it looks very crafty :D

tatsurou

10 Dec 2018, 04:32

Mini update:

Guts cut out quickly (will be finished):

Dreaming big:

tatsurou

10 Dec 2018, 04:57

This board was made using imperial measuring system, but measured it using metric as accurately as possible. Here you go guys, for future reference:

abrahamstechnology

10 Dec 2018, 05:57

Are you going to handwire the original controller?

tatsurou

11 Dec 2018, 02:22

Plan is pretty simple. Draw a new mounting plate for switches and install them on that. I am considering something from Kailh as they are available, cheap and in general providing a good soundtrack as for modern switches. I won't be building a pcb for it as I don't want to spend too much on this thing. And later, I will reuse some controller from a different board. That is the most reasonable idea in my opinion. Do you guys have any switch or technique recommendations?

tatsurou

13 Dec 2018, 00:36

Quick imagination of what will happen:

abrahamstechnology

13 Dec 2018, 01:03

Recommend SMK MX mount switches, works with Cherry plates and caps with Alps-like click leaf. There's some on TaoBao for pretty cheap.

depletedvespene

14 Dec 2018, 15:28

abrahamstechnology wrote: Recommend SMK MX mount switches, works with Cherry plates and caps with Alps-like click leaf. There's some on TaoBao for pretty cheap.
Ok, I can't take this anymore. Generally speaking, I don't like to chop off parts of a keyboard or do major modifications to it that aren't really needed, but in this case... this being a PCJr keyboard to begin with, I'll say that THAT growth on the case should be sawed off and the freed space be used with an actual key.
sawbabysaw.png
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Chop this off!!! (YMMV)
sawbabysaw.png (208.77 KiB) Viewed 741 times

zrrion

14 Dec 2018, 19:42

Look, he's already using a board most people wouldn't even look at, he might as well embrace the quirks of the layout.

depletedvespene

14 Dec 2018, 20:11

The lower left side we can call a quirk (YMMV); the \gap, OTOH, is just a design defect (YMMNV).

abrahamstechnology

21 Jan 2019, 17:48

Any updates?

Return to “Workshop”