Mechamorphosis

Anakey

05 Dec 2018, 11:34

I posted this on Reddit yesterday, but hopefully some on here will like it also

Completed build with key switch in Control position. Trackball is powered will send but does not yet receive so is currently not on operation but I would like to get it fully operational in the near future.

The original board I bought. I got a replacement case due to the original one being damaged in shipping which I then used for my project.

Have just finished cutting out the top case, still got to finish off around the edges, got a template file for my plate over so wanted to check it would fit correctly. Already have the indicators installed.

Industrial USB cable made along with a better picture of the key switch and indicators.

Switches, plate and keycaps have arrived, just wanted to do a test fit and show what the final assembled board would look like, No internal work has been done as yet

Rear USB ports done, these will be connected to an internal USB hub. The original board has a parallel port here.

Handwired board using a Postage Board controller board, I did some of the handwireing as part of a livestream guide over 3 episodes to show my way of working and to hopefully encourage others who might be a bit apprehensive of doing their own handwired builds.

Internal picture both the keyboard and trackball are connected to the square USB hub with the remaining two ports being passed through to the rear of the case.

The Key switch is on the +5v so when that is in the View (off) position there is no power to the USB hub so everything is switched off and the keyboard is locked until the key is turned from view to Control (on)

Someone suggested in the Reddit thread that I ought to add a solenoid which could go well considering it is a roomy solid metal case however i have no clue about the hardware requirements or programming in QMK if needed so hopefully someone from here could help in that regards.

Chyros

05 Dec 2018, 12:40

That's a pretty nice little project xD .

flowerlandfilms

05 Dec 2018, 14:04

Those two lamps are very cool, they really give it a certain something.

Anakey

05 Dec 2018, 15:23

flowerlandfilms wrote: Those two lamps are very cool, they really give it a certain something.
Yes I bought neon indicators off ebay and then replaced the neon lamps with coloured LEDs the green one was out of an old Monterey board I harvested the white alps from so I try and re use things where I can

zrrion

05 Dec 2018, 19:46

This is a supercool project! What switches did you go with?

Dingster

05 Dec 2018, 19:53

This is pretty amazing

JBert

05 Dec 2018, 20:04

Hmmm, shouldn't we tag this for DTA 2019? It's a rather clean handwiring job.

Anakey

05 Dec 2018, 20:08

zrrion wrote: This is a supercool project! What switches did you go with?
Otemu Ice v1 housing with retooled 2.1 stems and vintage black springs i wanted something fairly heavy yet tactile to go with the industrial theme and they sound great in the roomy chassis

madrobby

05 Dec 2018, 22:58

What a beauty! Amazing project.

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

05 Dec 2018, 23:13

This is fantastic! Love the lamps and the key, they just make the project quite unique!

Engicoder

05 Dec 2018, 23:18

Really nice work! I love all the details.

Anakey

05 Dec 2018, 23:50

Thanks for the replies everyone, just hoping someone can help me put a solenoid in this thing too

OldIsNew

06 Dec 2018, 04:27

Wow nice! Very cool for sure!

kokokoy

06 Dec 2018, 05:00

This thing is a beauty!

Hypersphere

06 Dec 2018, 18:26

Well done! Thanks for sharing.

ZedTheMan

06 Dec 2018, 18:30

Yowzers!

That's a really nice transformation.

Menuhin

06 Dec 2018, 21:03

Neat project with added orange color.
But I have to say the original keyboard gives me more space to fantasize what is going on to such a unique keyboard.

Sangdrax

07 Dec 2018, 04:12

I really like this. It's what I would have wanted out of one of these cases rather than the default super macro pad that the originals are. Nice choice on the plug too. I love those old amphinol connectors.

As far as a solenoid goes, the xwhatsit solenoid board will provide the power and just needs the trigger signal if both the power and gate are hooked up to 5V high. Even a beeper setup will work with it. You just need to be able to control the timing.

abrahamstechnology

07 Dec 2018, 13:03

Nice! I'm glad one of these went to a good use.

andrewjoy

07 Dec 2018, 13:09

I have one of them but without the trackball
I was going to fit in a keyboard like that!

Very cool project

Anakey

07 Dec 2018, 14:09

andrewjoy wrote: I have one of them but without the trackball

Very cool project
I still have the plate file if you want it, you would need to change the layout obviously if you were wanting ISO but the standoff positions should still be the same. Just be aware that because the original pcb is on the standoffs so when going to a plate the switches will sit lower so it is best using taller keycaps.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Dec 2018, 14:11

I know those keycaps!

Anakey

07 Dec 2018, 14:13

matt3o wrote: I know those keycaps!
Indeed; SA Industrial, quite fitting name for the board i put them in, I did also consider SA Electric, however the colours would not match and i think it is still in IC anyway

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Dec 2018, 14:27

you really need /dev/tty keycaps :)

andrewjoy

07 Dec 2018, 14:47

Anakey wrote:
andrewjoy wrote: have one of them but without the trackball

Very cool project
I still have the plate file if you want it, you would need to change the layout obviously if you were wanting ISO but the standoff positions should still be the same. Just be aware that because the original pcb is on the standoffs so when going to a plate the switches will sit lower so it is best using taller keycaps.
That would be cool yeh.

I was just going to bodge in a tipro or something but a plate file would be handy thanks

Darkshado

08 Dec 2018, 18:53

Well done! I would have had no trouble believing this was a 60% board from the beginning if not for the second photo.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

08 Dec 2018, 19:51

matt3o wrote: you really need /dev/tty keycaps :)
Pretty much every keyboard does. I just wish there were some other way of obtaining them than at Massdrop's whim. I'd buy 100 sets if I could get volume pricing on them.

Return to “Workshop”