AppleDesign Keyboard: Replacing the membrane with a PCB

abrahamstechnology

20 Jan 2019, 18:26

I recently got this Apple Design keyboard at my local thrift shop for $1. It's the closest thing to a mechanical keyboard I've found at any thrift store so far, and I got it hoping it had Alps keycaps.
Unfortunately it has the proprietary ones. However, when I opened it up, I see a metal plate along with the membrane with domes.

Taking these out leaves enough room for a PCB with the same dimensions and standoffs. Plus, it won't have to have any controller circuitry, it can just mirror the membrane's matrix and be wired directly to the original ADB controller, so it can be used on vintage Macs.

Then, I would dremel out the sections where the switches would go, install the switches and PCB-mount stabilizers, etc.

Unfortunately I don't have the time, skills, or tools to develop my own PCB. Would anyone be interested in this? I would send my modded case to anyone who is interested (and pay on top of that, if you need)

abrahamstechnology

20 Jan 2019, 18:29

(Interesting thing I just found... the spacebar has a Space Invaders spring!)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Jan 2019, 18:41

just out of curiosity, can you post some pictures of the interior?

abrahamstechnology

20 Jan 2019, 18:49

matt3o wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 18:41
just out of curiosity, can you post some pictures of the interior?
Sure, meant to post the on the original post but couldn't upload them.
https://imgur.com/a/ue5VzSX

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Jan 2019, 18:51

would you do a capacitive PCB?

PS: why can't you upload? bug?

abrahamstechnology

20 Jan 2019, 21:42

matt3o wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 18:51
would you do a capacitive PCB?

PS: why can't you upload? bug?
That would be ideal, but there seems to be no good aftermarket supply of Topre springs. I suppose I'll just dremel out the whole slider assemblies to put a regular PCB with switches in.

It says that the file size was too large, but I have used this same camera set at the same settings in the past and was able to upload.

Muirium
µ

21 Jan 2019, 01:04

You could try asking Cooler Master. Bram set me up with a spare NovaTouch spacebar spring once. They likely had the conical springs when they were selling the NovaTouch, and just might have them still, for warranty repairs.

Topre themselves? Not nearly as communicative.

Findecanor

21 Jan 2019, 01:44

Nothing in this thread makes any sense!

Muirium
µ

21 Jan 2019, 02:46

C’mon! Who doesn’t want to see someone transform a notoriously meh dome into a capsense, maybe just maybe actually kind of decent super experimental dome?

Return to “Workshop”