Beamspring 3278 XWhatsit and sporadic random keypresses

darkcruix

28 Feb 2019, 19:21

I have a 3278 full-size beamspring keyboard with xwhatsit controller.
From time to time random key presses are additionally executed, together with the key I actually pressed. Often, these are very random and seem to be on different columns. What seems to be a factor is the close proximity of my cell phone, but this can also be just accidental.
I wonder, if others have seen similar issues, or have ideas on how to get around this issue? Maybe it is the grounding, even so everything seems to be fine. There is no solenoid driver attached. The controller board is fully attached to the PCB, but it isn't a tight fit, so I can imagine it would rather not actuate at all if the contact isn't made. All assumptions, maybe you have ideas.

SneakyRobb
THINK

28 Feb 2019, 19:28

With my keyboard it was actually quite hard to get the controller to fit and I had symptoms like this. Does your connector have the one side filed down? the pcb is not straight across and one side needs a notch to be flush with the connector.

John Doe

28 Feb 2019, 19:35

In the last month I replaced my AT's controller with xwhatsit. When I was testing the keys, a weird bug shows if I press the keys quickly, some other keys triggered also. I checkesd the PCB and grounding wire carefully, no problems found. I guess maybe the xwhatsit itself got some problem that havn't released tho I have no time to figure it out yet.

darkcruix

28 Feb 2019, 19:50

SneakyRobb wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 19:28
With my keyboard it was actually quite hard to get the controller to fit and I had symptoms like this. Does your connector have the one side filed down? the pcb is not straight across and one side needs a notch to be flush with the connector.
I have made a cut myself in the connector as shown here:
cut.jpg
cut.jpg (198.29 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
Here's a view on how it is connected to the PCB itself:
attached.jpg
attached.jpg (153.83 KiB) Viewed 2547 times

darkcruix

28 Feb 2019, 20:00

John Doe wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 19:35
In the last month I replaced my AT's controller with xwhatsit. When I was testing the keys, a weird bug shows if I press the keys quickly, some other keys triggered also. I checkesd the PCB and grounding wire carefully, no problems found. I guess maybe the xwhatsit itself got some problem that havn't released tho I have no time to figure it out yet.
I also had an issue with my F107 and key chatter but solved it by changing to a different de-bounce filter (patch for 0.9.0), which I downloaded from a thread on DT which I can't find anymore. After that it was totally fine and never had anything like it anymore.
Even it seems a little different in this case, it could also be caused by the de-bounce filter.

SneakyRobb
THINK

28 Feb 2019, 20:33

That seems to make sense then. The only other thing I can think of is setting the thresholds but it seems like you have a good understanding of that. Hope it works out

darkcruix

28 Feb 2019, 23:00

I played around with the firmware and patched it with the debounce filter that was provided by joc some months back (attached the original zip file).
xwhatsit_model_f_firmware_update_0.9.1.zip
(26.96 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
I made some modifications to the Makefile and compiled the firmware for the Rev4 of the Beamspring keyboard. The result is very promising so far, but I have to do much more tests throughout a longer period. For those who are looking for a firmware with alternative debounce filter for a Beamspring keyboard and Rev.4 controller, find it attached below:
ibm_capsense_usb.hex.zip
(11.31 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
The modifications in the Makefile are these:
BOARD_TYPE = BEAMSPRING
BOARD_REV = 4
USB_CURRENT = 500
VERSION = 0.9.1

John Doe

01 Mar 2019, 11:08

darkcruix wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 23:00
I played around with the firmware and patched it with the debounce filter that was provided by joc some months back (attached the original zip file).
xwhatsit_model_f_firmware_update_0.9.1.zip

I made some modifications to the Makefile and compiled the firmware for the Rev4 of the Beamspring keyboard. The result is very promising so far, but I have to do much more tests throughout a longer period. For those who are looking for a firmware with alternative debounce filter for a Beamspring keyboard and Rev.4 controller, find it attached below:
ibm_capsense_usb.hex.zip

The modifications in the Makefile are these:
BOARD_TYPE = BEAMSPRING
BOARD_REV = 4
USB_CURRENT = 500
VERSION = 0.9.1
Thanks, darkcruix.

I will try the new GUI and hex files, hope I have luck.

DMA

02 Mar 2019, 03:35

em_dude's PCB? Get a piece of a dense cardboard and sandwitch with PCB into the connector. Doesn't work for original PCBs - those have rows on one side and columns on the other.

Use away from (means "on a different power strip from", too): LED lights, dimmers, LED dimmers(special mention because those produce huge short voltage spikes which are picked up easily), large non-continuous loads (fridge, AC), non-brushless motors.

Return to “Workshop”