Digitalizing Canon S-200 electric typewriter?

benredikfyfasan

04 Mar 2019, 10:01

Hello!
I might be way over my head here, I don't know a lot about this stuff so this might be very unrealistic and impossible, but I found this old typewriter in the attic, an electric Canon typewriter. I love the layout of it, and the look of the caps. They seem to be some sort of capacitive spring-switches. (I forgot to take close ups of this part, but it's basically a spring-switch, I think.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
It seems to have one of those thin membrane PCBs, so I was wondering if it might be possible to use this output in some way, and convert it to USB.
Spoiler:
It also seems the controller is a huge circuit board, which needs a power input (coming from the power cord) and outputs signals to the electronic typewriter-part. The 5-pin output reminds me a lot of the USB pins, so I was wondering if this would be possible.

I imagine, if the signal would be possible to "convert", I'd need to get a controller of sorts, maybe make a circuit board which does this job, I have no idea, but I know some people that might be able to help me with this part, if it even would be possible.
Spoiler:
In that case i think it would be possible to get a custom case and make something out of this.
I'm a 3D artist so the design-part is something I could work on.

I'm just wondering if the technical part would be possible. It all might be a way different system for it to be able to work on, I dont know.

Return to “Workshop”