Problems flashing an M110A converter (again)

PlacaFromHell

13 Apr 2019, 06:21

Hello guys. I'm trying to to flash the rev 1 Hasu's M0110A converter into a cheap chinese Pro Micro with an Atmega32U4. All goes well until I get this error:

This is freaking me out. What should I do?

snot

13 Apr 2019, 08:22

It looks like avrdude hasn't even stared flashing to the pro micro. Are you shorting the GND and RST pins together just before flashing to put it into bootloader mode?

PlacaFromHell

13 Apr 2019, 08:43

Yes. I reset it right before starting the AVR and when is "waiting for the device" or something similar to avoid another error. Sorry, I'm not in my computer right now

Quartz64

13 Apr 2019, 09:00

Maybe you are trying to use the wrong COM-port? Command line parameters:

Code: Select all

-c avr109 -p m32u4 -P COMXX -U flash:w:"path_to_fw.hex":a 
where COMXX is number of com-port in Windows (it will appear in Device manager for a short time when you launch the bootloader) or /dev/ttyACM0 in Linux.

PlacaFromHell

13 Apr 2019, 09:13

This is what I'm doing. I checked the COM port in the device manager and also the Arduino IDE.

Code: Select all

C:\Users\Franco\Desktop\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Users\Franco\Desktop\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega32u4 -cavr109 -PCOM19 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\Franco\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_762667/sketch_apr12a.ino.hex:i 

swampangel

13 Apr 2019, 19:39

Have you successfully flashed a Pro Micro with avrdude from this machine before?

On Windows I use Freematics Arduino Builder https://freematics.com/pages/software/arduino-builder/

Basic instructions in case you care to try it:

- load your hex
- select Arduino Leonardo (I'm not sure if this is needed if you're using a precompiled hex, but it doesn't hurt)
- plug in the pro micro and hit Refresh
- a comX button should appear in the menu
- click comX
- you'll see a "forcing reset" message in the output window
- short the reset/ground pins on the pro micro (once or twice)
- you should see a message "comX closed ... comY found"
- board should flash

Sangdrax

13 Apr 2019, 22:41

You can also try AVRDUDESS with the SS. It has a GUI and lets you know if what you selected is detected. I use it for all my pro-micro clone flashes.

Plus it keeps the controller in bootloading mode once detected so you don't have to worry about a few second timer.

Findecanor

13 Apr 2019, 22:57

snot wrote:
Are you shorting the GND and RST pins together just before flashing to put it into bootloader mode?
Unless it is the very first time, you'd need to short the pins twice in quick succession.
Then avrdude must be run immediately afterwards. I think it goes out of bootloader mode if you wait to long.

PlacaFromHell

13 Apr 2019, 23:45

swampangel wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 19:39
Have you successfully flashed a Pro Micro with avrdude from this machine before?

On Windows I use Freematics Arduino Builder https://freematics.com/pages/software/arduino-builder/
I have successfully flashed three Soarer's converters with no problems. I'll try Freematics and see what happen.
Sangdrax wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 22:41
You can also try AVRDUDESS with the SS. It has a GUI and lets you know if what you selected is detected. I use it for all my pro-micro clone flashes.

Plus it keeps the controller in bootloading mode once detected so you don't have to worry about a few second timer.
AVRDUDESS never worked for me, I don't know why. Sorry.
Findecanor wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 22:57
snot wrote:
Are you shorting the GND and RST pins together just before flashing to put it into bootloader mode?
Unless it is the very first time, you'd need to short the pins twice in quick succession.
Then avrdude must be run immediately afterwards. I think it goes out of bootloader mode if you wait to long.
Is what I do, I tried single and twice. As far as I know it detects the board but isn't flashing it for some reason.

PlacaFromHell

14 Apr 2019, 00:42

Finally. I had to do like 20 attemps with Arduino Builder. Maybe because of the shitty board I bought this time? Thanks to all! All of you are awesome.

Return to “Workshop”