Zenith Z-150 Restoration; Conversion

Aran.E99

07 May 2019, 15:10

*This will most likely take me a few days at the very least because of how filty it is. Once completed, I will post more pics in gallery*

Day 1: The keyboard has arrived! There were only 2 photos of it on the listing so I could not see exactly how bad it was but to be honest it is much worse than I expected. The bottom is rusty and bent, the cable is cut (might not even work?), the plate is loose, the entire plate is covered in what looks like the fluff from a tumble dryer and it has LOTS of dirt in it (I'm pretty sure this was stored outside at some point, uh oh). Some switches feel like complete shit while others feel perfectly fine but I can't complain about green alps.
top.jpg
top.jpg (2.85 MiB) Viewed 479 times
badge.jpg
badge.jpg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 479 times
close switch.jpg
close switch.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 479 times
I've built a Teensy converter using the remaining original cable/connector and it works! Some keys don't register but after checking with a DMM, this is purely a hardware issue (I will be disassembling the switches to try and fix this)

Day 2
I have started desoldering the board. My iron is on its last legs and the sucker is practically dead which made this really painful and difficult. This is admittedly the worst desolder job I've done but I can't afford a new iron at this time. In a few instances, the pads have been torn from the PCB (poor heat control + 30 year old PCB don't go well together) so I will need to jumper those. I can't decide if I use the original PCB or handwire it when it comes to assembly.
desoldering.jpg
desoldering.jpg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 419 times

Aran.E99

12 May 2019, 18:07

Finally got the PCB desoldered - what a pain. Some legs decided to randomly snap of while desoldering which was probably due to the liquid damage visible on the plate and PCB however there is enough material for me to solder to when handwiring.
switches.jpg
switches.jpg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 377 times

Aran.E99

13 May 2019, 17:30

All the switches have been disassembled fully and the housings washed in warm soapy water to try to remove the strange white residue. After wiping with Q tips, the residue has barely come off so I will try with some isoporopyl alcohol when I get some.
20190513_152627.jpg
20190513_152627.jpg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 329 times
I've also worked on a custom layout which I am looking forward to finishing (if it lets me compile, that is)

Aran.E99

04 Jul 2019, 11:43

The saga continues...
--------
Sorry about the lack of updates - I had to put this project on hold for others such as a guitar that I needed to finish assembling.
--------
The Isopropyl alcohol arrived today so I decided to start cleaning/lubing the switches. I first poured some IPA onto the switch housings which were all covered in that same milky substance in hopes of removing it. I mixed up some IPA and PTFE powder and put the sliders into the solution to evenly lubricate them (I used Delirious' method; thanks!) then set them aside to dry.
lubing sliders.jpg
lubing sliders.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 200 times
Since the plate had the same white residue, I tried scrubbing it with a sponge dipped in IPA so that I didn't have to waste time sanding the paint and repainting it. Sadly, the IPA did nothing at all so I'm going to try some 1000 grit sandpaper in hopes that it will preserve the paint.

I'll update later once the switches are assembled.

User avatar
Wazrach

05 Jul 2019, 20:54

Nice, it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Aran.E99

06 Jul 2019, 15:20

Thanks, I've still not decided exactly what I want to do yet but I'll figure it out as I go along :D

Post Reply

Return to “Workshop”