Finally a proper case for the Vortex ViBE

AJM

02 Mar 2020, 22:51

You’re probably referring to the limited kits, that are currently available on drop ("TKL", "65 %", "1800").
My kits are from the two original "drops", that had a lot more options like "Extra Mods", "International", the "Triumph" colour, and so on.
(BTW: There is a new drop with the full variety in preparation at the moment.)

Aetasserenus

03 Mar 2020, 09:20

I see!

I'll have to keep my garde up to not miss that one'

AJM

12 Jul 2020, 14:37

After trying out the MT3 Godspeed set, I thought I might post a picture with all used MT3 colourways, so far. The alphas on the last one are /dev/tty, though, not Godspeed, because their yellow/brownish colour just didn't work with my "marbled" case.

ViBEs-all.jpg
ViBEs-all.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 4873 times
Apollo.jpg
Apollo.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 4873 times

On this occasion I also changed the fixed (to the case) cable to a magnetic one (like I had already done on the "evenly retrobrited" case). This time with a neat little white plastic trim.

ViBE2-connector.jpg
ViBE2-connector.jpg (313.64 KiB) Viewed 4873 times

I love these magnetic cables. So easy to use and you don't have to worry about wearing out connectors or to damage them - should you yank on the cable by accident.

The only problem I encountered so far: Why in the name of all that's holy are there no WHITE USB cables with magnetic connectors - anywhere?? The best I could find are silver textile ones (which look a bit cheap).

TNT

21 Apr 2022, 21:28

So, finally my own AJM-Vibe is about to be finished. I took a slightly different approach in regards to the plate that carries the keyboard inside of the housing. I didn't use a wooden/composite board, but rather had a steel one lasercut. I've attached the step file, in case anyone needs it. Oh boy, and what a massive slab of metal it is: The whole thing wheighs in at just above 2,5 kg :lol:

IMG_20220421_192313.jpg
IMG_20220421_192313.jpg (4.84 MiB) Viewed 3456 times
IMG_20220421_192820.jpg
IMG_20220421_192820.jpg (4.54 MiB) Viewed 3456 times

Going to spraypaint or blue the thing + give the case a day in the retrobrighting tub. I'm also looking forward to test the sound once I have it assembled. 8-)
Attachments
M0110A Plate.rar
(1.36 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

AJM

21 Apr 2022, 21:49

Impressive! :o :lol:

Do you have a friend that made that plate or can one order such things easily - in which case: How much did it cost?

Lalaland124

21 Apr 2022, 21:50

TNT wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 21:28
So, finally my own AJM-Vibe is about to be finished. I took a slightly different approach in regards to the plate that carries the keyboard inside of the housing. I didn't use a wooden/composite board, but rather had a steel one lasercut. I've attached the step file, in case anyone needs it. Oh boy, and what a massive slab of metal it is: The whole thing wheighs in at just above 2,5 kg :lol:

IMG_20220421_192313.jpg

IMG_20220421_192820.jpg

Going to spraypaint or blue the thing + give the case a day in the retrobrighting tub. I'm also looking forward to test the sound once I have it assembled. 8-)
Amazing board, especially with that MT3 German keycap set. Really love that profile - makes you feel like your finger tips are being massaged while typing. My jealousy is immeasurable 8-)

TNT

21 Apr 2022, 22:51

AJM wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 21:49
Impressive! :o :lol:

Do you have a friend that made that plate or can one order such things easily - in which case: How much did it cost?
I have a friend who owns a very decent 3D printer but, unfortunately, don't know anyone with a laser cutting machine :D

There are several online services (including ones who also offer powdercoating :P ) but the cheapest option seemed to be cutworks. It did cost me two crisp 20s (including shipment, so the plate alone was "just" 32). I think I could've saved some money with ordering a smaller sheet thickness and making up for it with some washers.

TNT

24 Apr 2022, 02:16

TNT wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 22:51
I think I could've saved some money with ordering a smaller sheet thickness and making up for it with some washers.
I actually recommend doing that. At least with MT3-caps, the ones on the right and left sides will always rub against the case or get stuck. Especially those corner keys are a bitch...

It seems to be beneficial for the Vibe to be recessed in the case a little more. You might get around beveling/chamfering the two side borders of the upper case that way. As AJM wrote, it's not visible from the top, but still, less work and fewer chances of damaging the case by messing up.

Love the weight and the sound tho, and you might be able to achieve sameish results even with a thinner plate by using a different metal (Tungsten, Gold, Uranium, etc. :D ).
Last edited by TNT on 12 May 2022, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.

guidemetothelight

25 Apr 2022, 08:26

AJM wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 14:37

On this occasion I also changed the fixed (to the case) cable to a magnetic one (like I had already done on the "evenly retrobrited" case). This time with a neat little white plastic trim.
I love these magnetic cables. So easy to use and you don't have to worry about wearing out connectors or to damage them - should you yank on the cable by accident.
love that magnetic usb c cable idea !

TNT

25 Apr 2022, 14:56

I'm still waiting for the parts to arrive, but my plan is to make this into a wired-Bluetooth switchable board. There's plenty of space in the bottom housing for a big battery and all the other stuff needed.

Following this tutorial:

joebeazelman

24 Sep 2023, 20:01

Love the build! The keycap profile is an excellent choice. I've thought about a similar build for mine, but I didn't realize, the arrangement and dimensions of the keycaps would warrant the removal of the divider strip. Unfortunately, the resulting gap compromises the aesthetic qualities of the keyboard, which I want to avoid.

I could glue back in place a thinner divider, but the visible glue lines is likely to be unsightly. It could be disguised with a careful paint job, or with a highly meticulous blending with its surrounding texture. It's definitely something to consider. Thanks for the post!

AJM

12 Feb 2024, 22:44

BTW: These boards would be for sale, if anybody is interested. Maybe even with MT3 keycaps (/dev/tty beige/Triumph or Godspeed Apollo).

Return to “Workshop”