Totaly new to DIY keyboard conversions, working on a Model F Bigfoot

rpgwaiter

28 Jun 2019, 03:15

So I got a few Model F's that I want to convert. I ordered a few Teensy boards off ebay, downloaded Soarer's Converter files and I think I'm already to go.

Then I realized that I have no idea what I'm doing. What wires connect to what part of the Teensy? What about on the Model F? Currently I have a Bigfoot in pieces, not really sure what to do. I've flashed arduinos for firmware updating my 3d printers, maybe this is similar? There's also not a video guide on how to do this, which would be very helpful. Once I get a feel for it, I'll probably make a video about it.

Anyways, what do I do?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

28 Jun 2019, 03:28

Findecanor

28 Jun 2019, 10:44

rpgwaiter wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 03:15
What wires connect to what part of the Teensy? What about on the Model F?
The converter has a thread XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter with NKRO with more info, especially in the first post from Soarer himself. However, Soarer seems to have gone, and not visited for a long time...

Do download the zip file from that thread. In it you will find documentation on how to wire the keyboard's wires to a Teensy. The documentation shows the pinouts of various connectors.

If you instead want to connect directly to the keyboard's PCB, then you'd need to find out which lead is which of those that go out into the cable.
I'd suggest testing the cable with a multimeter in "continuity mode".
You could start by identifying the signal-GND wire. A common convention (in electronics overall, but which is not always followed) is that GND is black and Vcc is white, and those are often connected to wider traces on circuit boards.
Redmaus wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 03:28
Ask and ye shall receive: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48950.0
That's about a very special model, not talking XT or AT protocol that "Soarer's Converted" does.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

28 Jun 2019, 16:35

Findecanor wrote:
That's about a very special model, not talking XT or AT protocol that "Soarer's Converted" does.
He has one of those models. Its a bigfoot, and that is the one he wants to convert first.

Findecanor

28 Jun 2019, 16:42

Redmaus wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 16:35
Findecanor wrote:
He has one of those models. Its a bigfoot, and that is the one he wants to convert first.
OK. Cool. :) Do you two know each other from real life?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

28 Jun 2019, 16:52

Findecanor wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 16:42
OK. Cool. :) Do you two know each other from real life?
The models F's he's referencing he bought from me locally :P

rpgwaiter

29 Jun 2019, 04:55

Okay so apparently I have a pro micro even though the ebay listing definitely said teensy. I think I got the hang of the wiring, I'm mostly hung up on flashing the board now. Avrdude keeps spitting errors at me :c

listofoptions

29 Jun 2019, 06:03

what converter are you using?

rpgwaiter

29 Jun 2019, 06:26

Soarer's on a pro micro clone. I managed to flash one of the boards after swapping out the usb cable, but the other 2 aren't flashing

listofoptions

29 Jun 2019, 06:38

ah, that's unfortunately no longer maintained, i would suggest the QMK converter for the 5251 (I wrote it :P) there's unfortunately not really a way to avoid writing some amount of code, as i think even the QMK configurator is still a little bugged

rpgwaiter

29 Jun 2019, 07:16

listofoptions wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 06:38
ah, that's unfortunately no longer maintained, i would suggest the QMK converter for the 5251 (I wrote it :P) there's unfortunately not really a way to avoid writing some amount of code, as i think even the QMK configurator is still a little bugged
I got the other board flashed. I definitely fried the last one while soldering. I'm down to try out QMK but I need to remind you that I have no idea what I'm doing, and was only able to flash soarer's firmware with dumb luck. I just really want a guide that's like "Connect this pin to this pin", with pretty pictures and diagrams lol.

orihalcon

30 Jun 2019, 05:23

I believe that regular XT innards will fit fine on a Bigfoot? Haven't actually done it myself, but even just getting a capsense PCB with the controller on it should work with the rest of your setup and then you can use your Soarer's converter to convert the XT protocol to USB.

listofoptions

30 Jun 2019, 20:00

let me know if you need any help with this! also yes orihalcon, XT guts fit inside, and the reverse works too!
https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/tre ... r/ibm_5291

Return to “Workshop”