Apple II / Apple IIe Keyboard

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

24 Jul 2019, 15:56

SneakyRobb
THINK

24 Jul 2019, 16:31

Hi, just by a quick viewing of your video this doesn't to me seem like an oem apple product but I am not expert. I would try searching google for words like apple iie clone keyboard and companies likeace, cubbic, staff, laser, franklin, exato etc.

I suspect one of these companies made a clone in the same way there were ibm xt at pc clones etc

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

24 Jul 2019, 16:35

Thanks for the tip on those company names. I wasn't aware of any of those names so they'll be very helpful in searching.

Muirium
µ

24 Jul 2019, 16:40

Yeah, he does say that right at the start. The layout, the case design, the caps, the legends: everything says third party keyboard. Looks like something a PC hardware firm made in a quick and dirty Apple compatible version as an afterthought.

Franklin is worth a look, but this thing is so PC that I wouldn't be surprised it was made by an Asian firm with roots in PC keyboards.

For those of us video averse, got some shots of the switches and PCB?

SneakyRobb
THINK

24 Jul 2019, 17:09

Ah yeah I meant to say I agreed with the assessment. I agree it looks like a pc manufacturer. it looks very similar to Monterey boards to me... or identical

https://imgur.com/a/oNiCm

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

25 Jul 2019, 03:03

SneakyRobb wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 17:09
Ah yeah I meant to say I agreed with the assessment. I agree it looks like a pc manufacturer. it looks very similar to Monterey boards to me... or identical

https://imgur.com/a/oNiCm
Okay that does look identical.
  • Keycaps
  • Switches
  • PCB
  • Layout
Probably my board also had the manufacturer sticker on the back as well but maybe it got lost over time.

By the way, here are some photos of the exterior along with some closeups on the switches.

Return to “Workshop”