suggestions for /dev/tty2 ?

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

09 Jan 2020, 04:06

Side print kit looks good to me!

ecliptik

12 Jan 2020, 17:01

I just stopped myself from buying a /dev/tty TKL set after finding this thread as I'd really like a MT3 profile with blanks.

Will /dev/tty2 (or any MT3 profile) come in blanks in the near future?

depletedvespene

12 Jan 2020, 19:49

As promised, I checked out again the international kit; those are the problems I found (assuming support for German (DE), Danish (DK), Spanish (Spain) (ES), Swedish/Finnish (SE+FI), Italian (IT), Norwegian (NO) and English (UK) (UK); Spanish (Latin America), both Portuguese layouts, and other national layouts are off):
  • R1: shows up twice.
  • R1: In , the middot is a bit too low and looks like a normal dot.
  • R1: #' is used in the German layout IF the Backspace is split and the movable key is moved up from R3 to R1. This, and the \| key (for English (USA)), are the only movable keys given this option. Why not #~, '*, Ç, etcetera?
  • R1: \| (used in the Italian layout) seems to be missing, but IS present in the base kit.
  • R3: ~^ (dead key for tilde and circumflex accents) is used only in the Portuguese layouts, but neither is supported. (*)
  • Numpad comma (used in all of the supported layouts except English (UK)) is missing.
  • Don't forget the AltGr keys!

(*) With that said, given the intentional omission of tertiary legends, the Portuguese (Portugal) layout is only two keycaps shy of being fully supported: R1 «» and R3 ºª.

HTH!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Jan 2020, 11:34

depletedvespene wrote:
12 Jan 2020, 19:49
As promised, I checked out again the international kit;
thanks for your report, I'll have a look at it.

I've added two more kits. I'm still working on the japanese one, hope some nihonjin could chime in. Also the blanks are WIP
nihon-kit.png
nihon-kit.png (147.49 KiB) Viewed 7380 times
bleached.png
bleached.png (152.56 KiB) Viewed 7380 times

AJM

13 Jan 2020, 19:56

I'm very happy to see the blanks kit.
That got me thinking ............ a blank Triumph kit would be fantastic and something new.

HungerMechanic

14 Jan 2020, 18:18

matt3o, can you tell me what your favourite tactiles are with PBT MT3 like dev/tty?

I've only tried it with Gateron Brown at a meetup, and even that was impressive. I also see people using it with Pro Purples, which is intriguing.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Jan 2020, 18:39

HungerMechanic wrote:
matt3o, can you tell me what your favourite tactiles are with PBT MT3 like dev/tty?
I usually don't like tactile switches, but generally speaking anything that is heavier than a cherry brown works for me.

Loligagger

15 Jan 2020, 00:18

matt3o wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 16:20
Of course everything will be also available in teal mods. I had not a single request for ergodox over the past year or so... so I guess that ship has sailed. I still miss a few keys, the spacebars and some extras (being APL or the secondary legends or whatever)
No ergodox support would be too bad imo. What about just adding the necessary blank 1.5u & 2u keys to the ortho kit? There are ortho boards like the boardwalk that use those 1.5u keys too.

Cholo

15 Jan 2020, 09:45

HungerMechanic wrote:

I've only tried it with Gateron Brown at a meetup, and even that was impressive. I also see people using it with Pro Purples, which is intriguing.
I like Gateron Brown, they are not the best sounding and feeling switches, but they are the best for me in terms of precision and speed when I'm typing. I use them at work.

I tried Hako Clear and Kailh Copper after that.
Hako are very silent, love the feeling but they are just a bit heavy for my taste.
Kailh Copper are nice too but they are speed switches, so they have a very short actuation force. Good for gaming (I guess...) not for typing if your are not very precise (I'm not).

I found a good compromise with Kailh brown boxed.
My new XD87 with Kailh brown boxed and Hako clear modifiers is waiting the First set arriving at home between Granite SA or /dev/tty2. :|

Mazian

16 Jan 2020, 04:25

matt3o wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 10:49
Drop prefers to merge kits as much as possible. I understand that because of: 1) they have a vast majority of noob customers; 2) less prone to fulfillment errors.
Judging by the number of people in the first drop that accidentally bought only the alpha kit and no mods, that's a good idea.

On the other hand, there are probably a couple hundred people that still have only the alpha kit and no mods, and some of them would presumably still like to buy just a mod kit!
matt3o wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 10:49
We could also add VOL UP/DOWN/MUTE somewhere... and so on. Ideas?
I really like the WASD Keyboards media key placement on TKL and fullsize layouts, though I haven't seen it implemented on other boards.

cellonin

16 Jan 2020, 04:59

A blank white kit would be great!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Jan 2020, 11:38

okay I've updated most of the kits, there's still some work to do in the international and japanese kits, possibly the blanks too.

let me know what you think.
Attachments
spacebars.png
spacebars.png (155.15 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
side-printed.png
side-printed.png (130.94 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
rgb.png
rgb.png (109.16 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
ortholinear.png
ortholinear.png (138.74 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
numpad-triumph.png
numpad-triumph.png (79.01 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
numpad.png
numpad.png (78.77 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
nihon-kit.png
nihon-kit.png (148.07 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
lostfound-triumph.png
lostfound-triumph.png (119.74 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
lostfound.png
lostfound.png (119.49 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
international.png
international.png (96.86 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
extras-triumph.png
extras-triumph.png (113.15 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
extras.png
extras.png (112.9 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
colemak.png
colemak.png (84.28 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
bleached.png
bleached.png (155.57 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
base-kit-triumph.png
base-kit-triumph.png (263.77 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
base-kit.png
base-kit.png (262.17 KiB) Viewed 7142 times

depletedvespene

19 Jan 2020, 11:50

I'll take a detailed look tonight, but for now things seem mostly fine. I specially dig the space bar kits.

The only thing that calls my attention is that the Bleached kit needs one R3 and one R4 1U alpha-colored keycaps. You could get away with omitting the R3 keycap (because there's two of those to replace the homing keys), but the R4 can't be omitted.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Jan 2020, 12:29

depletedvespene wrote:
19 Jan 2020, 11:50
The only thing that calls my attention is that the Bleached kit needs one R3 and one R4 1U alpha-colored keycaps. You could get away with omitting the R3 keycap (because there's two of those to replace the homing keys), but the R4 can't be omitted.
yeah my bad, one of the two 1U R4 is just light gray

AJM

19 Jan 2020, 13:12

"Bleached" kit in Triumph color, pretty pleeeaaase. ;)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Jan 2020, 13:18

you guys are never happy...

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

19 Jan 2020, 13:51

I'd love to see a 1.25u space bar, and have the option of space bar mods, like on a HiPro or even an AT101. I never understood why keys meant to be hit with your thumb should not be convex.

If this isn't clear, this means that I'd love for all the bottom row keys to be space bars of various widths. You're pretty close with a 2u and a 1u space bar. Just add 1.25u space bar and you're there for most boards. You'd cover even more boards with a 1.5u as well. I'd do blanks if necessary.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Jan 2020, 14:04

XMIT wrote:
19 Jan 2020, 13:51
I'd love to see a 1.25u space bar, and have the option of space bar mods, like on a HiPro or even an AT101. I never understood why keys meant to be hit with your thumb should not be convex
we'll get there eventually, it's just that I can't add too many new keys in just one drop. I've added quite a few this time.

AJM

19 Jan 2020, 14:09

matt3o wrote:
True, but a Triumph blank kit would be sooooooo much easier to produce than these Japanese or side printed kits, wouldn't it?

@XMIT:
I absolutely agree concerning a convex bottom row. Interesting suggestion with the 1.25u space bars, although the mods would look a bit weird in white.

depletedvespene

20 Jan 2020, 14:30

matt3o wrote:
That's the core ability underneath all my job skills, and I'm damn good at it. Thank you very much. :D

depletedvespene

20 Jan 2020, 14:32

BTW, what about Hangul? ;)

HungerMechanic

21 Jan 2020, 04:30

Cholo wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 09:45
HungerMechanic wrote:

I like Gateron Brown, they are not the best sounding and feeling switches, but they are the best for me in terms of precision and speed when I'm typing. I use them at work.

I tried Hako Clear and Kailh Copper after that.
Hako are very silent, love the feeling but they are just a bit heavy for my taste.
Kailh Copper are nice too but they are speed switches, so they have a very short actuation force. Good for gaming (I guess...) not for typing if your are not very precise (I'm not).

I found a good compromise with Kailh brown boxed.
My new XD87 with Kailh brown boxed and Hako clear modifiers is waiting the First set arriving at home between Granite SA or /dev/tty2. :|

Kailh Speed Coppers are no joke. Sure, they can be used for gaming, and some like them.

I used them in conjunction with Pro Purples on an aluminum board. I think I used the Speed Coppers for select modifiers or nav keys. In any case, if you use them selectively, they can be a great addition to a keyboard. [The other switches should also be 3.6 mm travel Pro or Speed switches]

Hako Clear is a bit too heavy and mushy for my preferences. I am going to try genuine Ergo Clears instead.

BOX Browns are fun. Noisy, but reasonably tactile. I like their 'medium' tactility and high-actuation. It's like a Pro Purple, with a crisper tactile bump. I can see why Cherry is copying the BOX switches now.

Let us know how MT3 feels on the BOX Browns. I doubt those monsters will get warped by BOX stems. Also, I'm curious about the XD87. I thought about getting one, but it just seemed like it might be below the minimum quality level that would elevate it beyond factory boards. Are they alright? And are the switches facing North?

I wonder how the 2020 retooling of Cherry MX switches [look up MX1A] will affect things like Ergo Clears.

Cholo

21 Jan 2020, 09:09

HungerMechanic wrote:
I used the Speed Coppers for select modifiers or nav keys. In any case, if you use them selectively, they can be a great addition to a keyboard.
Indeed! A day after I wrote that message I changed the arrows and modifiers' switches (it's an Hot swappable keyboard) with the copper. I only left Hako on the stabilized ones because i really like how they sound.
If the boxed switches won't fit I'll just change them. :(

HungerMechanic wrote:
Let us know how MT3 feels on the BOX Browns. I doubt those monsters will get warped by BOX stems. Also, I'm curious about the XD87. I thought about getting one, but it just seemed like it might be below the minimum quality level that would elevate it beyond factory boards. Are they alright? And are the switches facing North?
My only factory board is a Pok3r RGB, all my other KB are cheap chinese kits. The XD87 is probably the best kit I got in term of quality: very neat PCB, mediocre plate (but it support a lot of layouts so you are forced to make some compromise) and a very sturdy plastic case (there's a metal bent plate/case but looks like crap).

You can buy it for less than 60$ w/out switches on sales. Which is like at least 1/3 of any TKL group buy I ever saw.
Of course, you can still get a Filco for a bit more than 100€, but if you want more choise of switches or expect to change keycaps anyway...
Unfortunally the Hot Swappable version is only ANSI.

Not sure about what "facing North" mean. The led is on the upper side of the cap, does it answer the question? :/

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

29 Jan 2020, 02:38

I'm late to this one as usual, but I wanted to say thanks, Matt3o, for running /dev/tty with R5 again. I got triumph mods last time. I've been using them daily at work every day since, and wanted another set with beige for home. I have been resisting the urge to get the stripped down reruns of it that include R4 only. I'm so glad I waited now!

In the Lost+Found kit, will the heart key actually be printed in red? That looks pretty cool compared to the 8-bit black and white version from /dev/tty0.

Did you give any thought to doing a commemorative /dev/tty2 key like the blue/dev/tty0 key you did for the very first run?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Jan 2020, 09:50

Techno Trousers wrote:
In the Lost+Found kit, will the heart key actually be printed in red? That looks pretty cool compared to the 8-bit black and white version from /dev/tty0.
unfortunately red-on-teal doesn't work, so I'll probably have to revert to 1-bit colors.
Techno Trousers wrote:
Did you give any thought to doing a commemorative /dev/tty2 key like the blue/dev/tty0 key you did for the very first run?
of course there's a special /dev/tty2 key :D

Loligagger

29 Jan 2020, 21:17

I'll still say there should be an ergo kit for dev/tty2. The ergo kit sold over 100 kits (143 in dev/tty1's case) in all of the MT3 group buys since. I know there are people who would miss having that support.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

30 Jan 2020, 06:44

matt3o wrote:
unfortunately red-on-teal doesn't work, so I'll probably have to revert to 1-bit colors.
Does red on beige work? Or maybe you have to do the legend printing the same for both colors of modifier?
matt3o wrote:
of course there's a special /dev/tty2 key :D
Woohoo! :D

I'm really looking forward to this one. Off topic: Any comment about a rumor I saw that there might be an MT3 double shot run in Dasher/Dancer colors one day? That idea makes my head explode in the best possible way. I seriously want to sell all my other profile keysets in favor of MT3.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

31 Jan 2020, 10:30

only the teal color heart needs to be 1-bit. On beige it still works.

I've heard the rumors about dasher/dancer too. Drop does the fuck they want, so don't ask me :D

cybercraft

01 Feb 2020, 06:46

Having "Meta" and "Hyper" modifiers keycap legends would be absolutely lovely makes sense for retro fanboys and GNU Linux /// GNU Emacs users ("Hyper" key in some environments is considered to be a separate modifier key and not a combination of other modifier keys).

Also adding "F20" ... "F24" to the "Lost + Found" would make this subset "more complete" (?) again for retro /// battleship keyboard fans who may need to go with two rows of function keys ("F1" to "F12" and "F13" to "F24"). It is only four keys extra that would close the loop for some. The very same crowd would also appreciate the addition of R0: "Fn" key (however I understand that from the perspective of keycap set design this one is a bit of an overkill).

Another thing, R0: "NumLock" that would allow for customizations like (fully populated nav/num-pad) Image https://imgur.com/GdVAdR0.

Having this fully populated nav/num-pad in the "side printed" subset would be too nice to be true :D

cybercraft

02 Feb 2020, 08:35

Also for the "Side Printed" kit, the "PRT SC" key is often combined with the "SysRq" Image https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/SysRq#/me ... k-edit.jpg

Return to “Workshop”