suggestions for /dev/tty2 ?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

02 Feb 2020, 08:50

cybercraft wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 08:35
Also for the "Side Printed" kit, the "PRT SC" key is often combined with the "SysRq" Image https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/SysRq#/me ... k-edit.jpg
I like the side printed numpad idea. Let's see if I can pull that out.

I already added F13...F24. Hyper/Meta ecc would be nice but it would mean adding a hell lot keycaps (1.25, 1.50, 1).

matt3o
-[°_°]-

03 Feb 2020, 18:07

can someone check the ergodox kit? I will be adding blanks for all the mods
ergodox.png
ergodox.png (160.18 KiB) Viewed 7707 times

Loligagger

03 Feb 2020, 21:00

The -/_ & =/+ keys should be the same color as the alphas I think. I'd also suggest making the [{ }] keys R2 & alpha colored (or just adding them along with the R5 keys). A couple of 1u R3 blanks or Fn keys would be nice too.
Edit: maybe for the blank mods a couple of R5 1.5u keys for the bottom row? For the people using boardwalks out there. A red R1 escape would look good too.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Feb 2020, 11:57

The story so far
ergodox.png
ergodox.png (180.85 KiB) Viewed 7610 times

Loligagger

06 Feb 2020, 21:13

I'd still suggest that the 1u =+ & -_ keys should be alpha colored. There are plenty who use those keys to the right of 0 like they would be on a normal number row so having those two be modifier colored would be out of place.

Just for comparison here's GMK calm depths' ergodox set which comes with those keys in the alpha color, along with alpha colored R2 [{ }] keys.
gmk calm depths.jpg
gmk calm depths.jpg (207.17 KiB) Viewed 7569 times

One or two 1u blanks for rows R1-R4 would be nice for those using one of the many other ergo boards that don't perfectly fit the ergodox layout (like mine for example).
IMG_20180926_161727.jpg
IMG_20180926_161727.jpg (837.84 KiB) Viewed 7569 times

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Feb 2020, 08:46

thanks for the suggestions! I'll fix that and call it done!

Menuhin

07 Feb 2020, 15:25

Hi matt3o,

While I'm enjoying my DSA Granite and waiting for the MT3 Susuwatari set, after many stunning posts about the gray color /dev/tty set, I think I am getting ready to finally get the MT3 /dev/tty2.

I think the DT veterans are helping a lot to make projects here go as good looking as they can be. My experience of getting the MT3 Susuwatari set brought up a question:

How do I acquire one set for both staggered and ortholinear keyboard use?

I don't what to have items on my check-out cart that give me two sets of alpha keys, so at the end, I did not add the ortho set for my MT3 Susuwatari purchase, and I sacrificed the chance to get some unique ortholinear caps for that. The same case of staggered vs ortho conflict may likely happen for my purchase of /dev/tty2, and similar conflict may also happen for some highlighting caps (in blue) I may want to get.

I understand there are many considerations behind the current setting, but is there a good solution also in terms of production, product strategies?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Feb 2020, 08:46

Menuhin wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 15:25
How do I acquire one set for both staggered and ortholinear keyboard use?

I don't what to have items on my check-out cart that give me two sets of alpha keys
unfortunately that's how Drop work, too many complains from people forgetting the modifiers.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

09 Feb 2020, 11:38

Latest update... putting them in a gallery

https://imgur.com/a/qAivyO4

depletedvespene

09 Feb 2020, 14:26

matt3o wrote:
09 Feb 2020, 11:38
Latest update... putting them in a gallery

https://imgur.com/a/qAivyO4
I don't want to be that guy (why do I even bother lying like this? :lol: ), but... you have an error in the international kit. You've added all the necessary keys for Spanish (Latin America), except R3 {[ and R3 }]. You may want to see http://www.farah.cl/Keyboardery/A-Visua ... outs/#esLA for the full shebang.

Also, I'd label the Spanish layouts in the image as "ES-ES" and "ES-LA", instead of putting the full text for the latter one.

EDIT: Italian support is missing R1 \| as well. R2 éè should be èé instead.

depletedvespene

09 Feb 2020, 14:45

Another question... given that you're not shy about making extra kits, and in order to minimize wastage, would it be within the realm of possibility to reduce the bottom row duplication in the base kit? Instead of having the base kit contain each of those keys (Shift, Ctrl, Alt, space, etc.) in both R5 and R4 versions, why not offer only the R5 keys in the base kit, and move the "duplicate R4" keys to a "Fourever bottom!"(*) kit, that only people truly interested in a ...-3-4-4 profile would buy?

(*) PLEASE find a better name than this.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

09 Feb 2020, 16:10

depletedvespene wrote:
09 Feb 2020, 14:26
I don't want to be that guy (why do I even bother lying like this? :lol: ), but...
thanks!
depletedvespene wrote:
09 Feb 2020, 14:45
why not offer only the R5 keys in the base kit, and move the "duplicate R4" keys to a "Fourever bottom!"(*) kit, that only people truly interested in a ...-3-4-4 profile would buy?
Nope :D

Loligagger

09 Feb 2020, 20:22

Ergo kit looks good to me. I assume there will be both triumph and grey modifier versions?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

09 Feb 2020, 20:41

Loligagger wrote:
09 Feb 2020, 20:22
Ergo kit looks good to me. I assume there will be both triumph and grey modifier versions?
either... or. Not sure which one yet

Loligagger

09 Feb 2020, 23:07

If it can only be one or the other I'd suggest grey tbh. More neutral so it fits easier with various case colors.
Edit: speaking of modifier colors, could the blank 1u R1-R4 keys be modifier color instead of alpha?
Last edited by Loligagger on 12 Feb 2020, 01:09, edited 1 time in total.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

10 Feb 2020, 15:08

Since nobody commented on the kit name change from Unicorn RGB+YO to Unicorn Barf, I'll just say well played, sir. :D

AdrianMan

13 Mar 2020, 19:38

Heya, how is this going ? Any ideea if it's gonna be up for sale this month on drop ?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Mar 2020, 08:16

coronavirus set things back a little, but we are testing the side printed kit (that we never did before). It might take a few weeks but it will be up and running soon. I don't think it will be a group buy, but a just a standard sale.

Loligagger

15 Mar 2020, 02:37

So things like the ergo kit would just be a standard in-stock item then?

HungerMechanic

15 Mar 2020, 17:05

Thanks for the update. I plan to buy the set. If Triumph [teal] kits are largely still available, it should be fine as just a standard sale.

Cholo

16 Mar 2020, 16:04

matt3o wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 08:16
coronavirus set things back a little, but we are testing the side printed kit (that we never did before). It might take a few weeks but it will be up and running soon. I don't think it will be a group buy, but a just a standard sale.
will this limits the number of kits on sale? International still on?🤞

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Mar 2020, 15:07

yes, international is a go

heisenburger

27 Apr 2020, 19:26

Hi, sorry total noob here, but I saw that you were making blanks and my brain went, "I need these in my life". Where can I buy these?

Amazing job on the MT3 profile, by the way. They look fantastic.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Apr 2020, 20:51

it will be available soon on massdrop

HungerMechanic

05 May 2020, 22:55

There's currently a dev/tty drop on massdrop, but it doesn't look like "the one."

EDIT: Spoke too soon. This is "the one." They just added new kits 20 minutes ago that reflect this special order.

HungerMechanic

05 May 2020, 23:29

I know they just put it up, but the kits are behaving strangely. They're all listed as negative value (i.e. -$55), as if you are trying to buy them instead of the base kit.

When you try to add a kit after purchasing the base, it doesn't really tell you how much the kit cost, and it is still listed as a negative.

There are usually kit errors when massdrop puts up a new GB, though, so hopefully this gets sorted out.

Cholo

06 May 2020, 11:35

HungerMechanic wrote:
05 May 2020, 22:55
There's currently a dev/tty drop on massdrop, but it doesn't look like "the one."

EDIT: Spoke too soon. This is "the one." They just added new kits 20 minutes ago that reflect this special order.
I was checking yesterday after I saw the newsletter, but there was no kits beside the usual three.
Today a moderator replied in the discussion to a post I wrote months ago, where I asked for the international kit.
So I guess we won't see a /dev/tty2 title on a different drop, and this is it?
I ordered it anyway. :lol:

voodoo6k

06 May 2020, 17:15

Looks like /dev/tty2 has tones of customizability. I really like that style of mock-ups.

One thing I've always wondered is why SCR LK instead of SCR LCK (or NUM LCK instead of NUM LK)?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 May 2020, 18:39

voodoo6k wrote:
06 May 2020, 17:15
One thing I've always wondered is why SCR LK instead of SCR LCK (or NUM LCK instead of NUM LK)?
that is a very good question and I really don't remember :D It is very likely that one of the "LOCK" keys didn't fit so we used LK for all of them.

Muirium
µ

06 May 2020, 18:45

This is why icon mods always win. Keys are no place for words. One key: one glyph: one symbol. Just what icons are for!

Return to “Workshop”