MODEL M122 IBM .. I assume from the 90's

Mehridian

29 Jan 2020, 03:41

Salutations. I put the "Decision Data Clone", aside once I got ahold of this IBM Model M. It was filthy but it is almost completely restored and set to USB output..

When I plug it in 2 lock lights come on briefly then turn off. I must've made a soldering fault on the third. The system recognizes the keyboard, as does HID listen.

When I use HIDlisten. Every key gives an output of "R05"
There was a note to pull the pin on the controller board. Unfortunately I am hard pressed to find one
Is there something I am missing?
Attachments
tapatalk_-403949364.jpeg
tapatalk_-403949364.jpeg (538.14 KiB) Viewed 1676 times
Last edited by Mehridian on 29 Jan 2020, 07:47, edited 2 times in total.

Mehridian

29 Jan 2020, 03:45

Here is the controller board. It has 5 pins but only 4 connectors ( my assumption is GND VCC DATA and CLK ) following the same pinouts of IBM Terminal. The Reset pin is not connected on the 32U4 pro micro to the keyboard ... is the unconnected pin where RST goes?
Attachments
15802657634123523719356258325909.jpg
15802657634123523719356258325909.jpg (3.32 MiB) Viewed 1668 times

User avatar
mcmaxmcmc

29 Jan 2020, 03:56

I hate to break the bad news to you, but...

That's an M122, not an F122.

The membrane connectors gave it all away.

Mehridian

29 Jan 2020, 04:03

In truth... I'm good.. I really like the springs. The additional keys are what I'm after. The feel of the board is still better than those made nowadays. Here are the other pics that didn't upload.
Attachments
tapatalk_2012069717.jpeg
tapatalk_2012069717.jpeg (668.99 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
tapatalk_-1267588079.jpeg
tapatalk_-1267588079.jpeg (126.12 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
tapatalk_-966216639.jpeg
tapatalk_-966216639.jpeg (531.5 KiB) Viewed 1650 times

Mehridian

29 Jan 2020, 04:05

* internally rolling eyes and facepalming, barking at himself*

"It says Model M on the darn sticker numbskull!!"

Mehridian

29 Jan 2020, 04:08

mcmaxmcmc wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 03:56
I hate to break the bad news to you, but...

That's an M122, not an F122.

The membrane connectors gave it all away.
Topic title corrected thanks!

Mehridian

29 Jan 2020, 05:20

So .. based on your reply.. happen to know what is causing the same code to be repeated? Or what the PE pin is? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Am I asking in the wrong place?
Thanks in advance!
Attachments
kbd_connector_ibmterm.png
kbd_connector_ibmterm.png (5.41 KiB) Viewed 1613 times

User avatar
mcmaxmcmc

29 Jan 2020, 09:06

Mehridian wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 05:20
So .. based on your reply.. happen to know what is causing the same code to be repeated? Or what the PE pin is? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Am I asking in the wrong place?
Thanks in advance!
I think you don't need to do anything with that pin, but I'm not very well-versed in that sort of thing -- definitely take that as caution.

Isn't there a how-to to make a Terminal converter already? There should be. Search for a Soarer's converter. Perhaps that might just help you. :)

You're definitely in the right place! There's a lot of knowledgeable people here that will help you, and hopefully they will in this case. :)

kmnov2017

29 Jan 2020, 11:17

You need only the 4 pins to work. The reset PIN is not required. The PE pin can be ignored. Double check all your connections and make sure that there is no short between any of the cables.

If the problem persists, just for the sake of trying, remove the lock LEDs and try again.

If the problem still persists, there may be a grounding issue. This can be fixed by running an independent cable connected to the metal part of the keyboard and other end connected to the GND on the promicro.

Mehridian

29 Jan 2020, 14:57

Step 1. Checked all wires for Connectivity
*no change*
Step 2. Removed LEDs From circuit

Code Following from HIDListen

Code: Select all

Waiting for device:
Listening:

Device disconnected.
Waiting for new device:..
Listening:
wEE

remaining: FFFC


Keyboard ID: 0000
Code Set: 1
Mode: PC/XT

R05
Looks like the wrong Code Set. I find it hard to believe the Keyboard ID is really 0000. Damn more work to do ...
Step 3. adding grounding wire to Metal backplane and grounding through 32u4

thanks @kmnov2017

Mehridian

29 Jan 2020, 15:20

kmnov2017 wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 11:17
You need only the 4 pins to work. The reset PIN is not required. The PE pin can be ignored. Double check all your connections and make sure that there is no short between any of the cables.

If the problem persists, just for the sake of trying, remove the lock LEDs and try again.

If the problem still persists, there may be a grounding issue. This can be fixed by running an independent cable connected to the metal part of the keyboard and other end connected to the GND on the promicro.
[/quote

Well least I got the same response ...

Even with the ground
Attachments
15803074703978292200515297343550.jpg
15803074703978292200515297343550.jpg (3.16 MiB) Viewed 1501 times

kmnov2017

29 Jan 2020, 16:30

Connect a different keyboard. Take any old PS2 keyboard and wire up the ProMicro to check if the ProMicro is at fault. If the other keyboard works, the controller on your Model M is dead. One of my model Fs (not M) had a similar problem, turned out the orignal controller was dead. I didn't have time to diagnose each of the component one by one, so junked the original controller and replaced it (this is still WIP).

Mehridian

29 Jan 2020, 17:35

kmnov2017 wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 16:30
Connect a different keyboard. Take any old PS2 keyboard and wire up the ProMicro to check if the ProMicro is at fault. If the other keyboard works, the controller on your Model M is dead. One of my model Fs (not M) had a similar problem, turned out the orignal controller was dead. I didn't have time to diagnose each of the component one by one, so junked the original controller and replaced it (this is still WIP).
Thank you kindly, I will give it a go. I think I have an old Keytronic rubber dome around. I will test it when i get home.

Rauha

29 Jan 2020, 21:17

Judging from pictures, this is originally terminal version with RJ45 connector? I have converted couple of those using just very cheap RJ45 to DB9 connectors. Plenty of cheap options around, for example:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284150 ... 4c4dyzpOl5

I connect the RJ45 wires to Teensy according to the picture you posted earlier in the thread. Teensy even fits inside the case. Easy, cheap and non-destructive modding. And it preserves the original IBM cable.

Image
Image

Mehridian

31 Jan 2020, 02:42

Thank you kindly! That is excellent.

So I came back to inform that I am pulling good data from the board at this point.

Code: Select all

Waiting for device:.....
Listening:
wEE rEE wF2 rFA rBF rBF

remaining: FFFC
wF8 rFA

Keyboard ID: BFBF
Code Set: 3
Mode: AT/PS2

wED rFA w00 rFA
r1C +04
rF0 r1C -04
r1B +16
rF0 r1B -16
r23 +07
I went back and resoldered all the connections. Plugged it in ... turned on HIDListen.... presto!

Thanks to all for your help. I am glad I shave my head... I woulda pulled out hair!!

Mehridian

31 Jan 2020, 03:57

Welp not working...

Code: Select all

Assembling "D:\PROJECTS!!\KeyboardSoarers\Soarer_Converter_v1.10\tools\m122.sc"...
scas v1.10
No errors. Wrote: D:\PROJECTS!!\KeyboardSoarers\Soarer_Converter_v1.10\tools\m122.sc.scb

Writing "D:\PROJECTS!!\KeyboardSoarers\Soarer_Converter_v1.10\tools\m122.sc".scb...
scwr v1.10
scwr: looking for Soarer's Converter: found
scwr: reading file: 48 bytes: ok
scwr: sending info request: ok
device: ok
protocol version check: converter=1.00, scwr=1.00: ok
settings version check: converter=1.01, file=1.01: ok
settings length check: max=1018, file=46 bytes: ok
scwr: sending write request for 46 bytes: ok
device: ok
device: ready
scwr: sending 46 bytes: ok
device: ok
device: complete

Press any key to continue . . .
I go to press enter ... nothing happens...
so I go to look in device manager.

found a banged out USB HID with the error code :

Code: Select all

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Report Descriptor was not byte aligned.
gonna go see if i can find out why

Mehridian

31 Jan 2020, 05:39

Rauha wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 21:17
Judging from pictures, this is originally terminal version with RJ45 connector? I have converted couple of those using just very cheap RJ45 to DB9 connectors. Plenty of cheap options around, for example:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284150 ... 4c4dyzpOl5

I connect the RJ45 wires to Teensy according to the picture you posted earlier in the thread. Teensy even fits inside the case. Easy, cheap and non-destructive modding. And it preserves the original IBM cable.
I really like this method and wish I had found it first. I am just about certain the pro micro controller is .. not working properly. when I plugin the USB connection it adds like 4 or 5 different HID devices. One of which bangs out.

User avatar
anthonymak

31 Jan 2020, 06:52

simply make a soarer converter with the specific features.
Attachments
soarer converter.JPG
soarer converter.JPG (134.39 KiB) Viewed 1308 times

Mehridian

02 Feb 2020, 08:55

One of which bangs out.
Can't seem to reset the pro micro. Given the method of tapping RST and GND twice. Waiting on my teensy 2.0 to get here tomorrow.

Mehridian

03 Feb 2020, 17:57

Teensy did it. Worked almost immediately. Not going to skimp in the future. Thank you all for your assistance.

User avatar
fohat
Elder Messenger

03 Feb 2020, 20:55

I have always used name brand Teensies and Soarer's firmware, and never had a problem.

PJRC even replaced a non-working Teensy that, I later realized, I probably fried myself due to incompetent wiring.

Post Reply

Return to “Workshop”