Alps47 keyboard

Quartz64

21 Feb 2020, 09:13

I proudly present my small Alps-based project:
  • Planck-like ortho layout with non-ortho bottom row which makes it compatible with standard keysets.
  • Additional column gives an ability to place '[' and ']' to where they belong. As you can see there are additional cyrillic letters on these keys, so it would be uncomfortable to access them through layers.
  • Custom PCB.
  • 1.2mm aluminium mounting plate (allpcb.com offers aluminium-based PCBs, it's cheaper than laser-cutting.).
  • Pro Micro controller.
  • Powered by QMK. My firmware it's not in the main repo yet, as I need to tweak the layout and make a proper info.json file.
Keycaps and SKCM white Alps were harvested from heavily used Forward Electronics FDA-102 keyboard. Keycaps are padprinted ABS and they were so yellowed that it would be more correct to call them "browned" instead. Switches were binding and sticky mess. Of course I had to disassemble them and wash all parts except switchplate in the ultrasonic bath. They feel much more better after cleaning and lubing, but I don't like their steep tactile bump, so I think about removing the click leafs.
Pro Micro is soldered under two switches. I was in a hurry and have failed to test all switches before soldering all together. Guess what? The only non-working switch was under Pro Micro. Damn! I had to spend another 40 minutes to desolder the Pro Micro and replace that switch. Should have placed it a socket next time.
Now I need to order an acrylic case for it.

SneakyRobb
THINK

21 Feb 2020, 15:20

Pretty slick. Very nice and aesthetic.

It always happens that the switch that doesn't work would be the one under the promicro. It is almost a rule!

andrewjoy

21 Feb 2020, 15:50

SneakyRobb wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 15:20
Pretty slick. Very nice and aesthetic.

It always happens that the switch that doesn't work would be the one under the promicro. It is almost a rule!
I always hope it is so i have an excuse to use my Weller desoldering station :)

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

22 Feb 2020, 01:20

Wow you did some really clean work there. My PCBs always end up looking like a crowded parking lot. Yours look so simple and orderly.

Return to “Workshop”