Beamspring from Hell Restoration Log

jsheradin

08 Jan 2021, 18:29

It's yours to do with as you please but man do I hope you keep the surface finish as it is. Only way it could get that patina is years of neglect. Definitely one of a kind!

Deus_LB

13 Jan 2021, 16:49

jsheradin wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 18:29
It's yours to do with as you please but man do I hope you keep the surface finish as it is. Only way it could get that patina is years of neglect. Definitely one of a kind!

I have to agree, even if nobody asked :oops:

arcticfox

15 Jan 2021, 16:30

That's one hell of a restoration. Loving the battle scarred surface finish as well.

M9HM

05 Feb 2021, 10:21

Erderm_ wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 06:46
Large update coming soon! For now just a little teaser ;)

LEAVE THE CASE AS IT IS IN THIS PICTURE. ITS FANTASTIC!

lucar

05 Feb 2021, 18:52

M9HM wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 10:21
Erderm_ wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 06:46
Large update coming soon! For now just a little teaser ;)

LEAVE THE CASE AS IT IS IN THIS PICTURE. ITS FANTASTIC!
I totally agree!!!!!
Luca

Rayndalf

06 Feb 2021, 03:16

Truly one of a kind. Nothing wrong with the bondo and new paint route (given the quality of work you've done I'm sure it'd look great), but the authentic wrecked finish is brutal and impossible to replicate.

pr0ximity

07 Feb 2021, 03:46

🤤🤤🤤

Erderm_

25 Oct 2021, 03:06

Hello all, I have been very lazy in finishing this project! Basically I finished the mechanical aspect of the restoration, but foolishly tried to lube the sliders and used way too much lube! :oops:

Realizing I had to essentially take it all back apart, clean, and reassemble a second time was very discouraging and caused me to shelve the project for a large amount of time haha.

Well enough time passed that I finally got around to cleaning each switch again! Finally all reassembled for the second time, I was able to actually try to use this keyboard.

Although there are newer QMK controllers available, I am a bit stuck in my ways and prefer the xwhatsit's way of mapping my keyboard so I found one for a reasonable price ($60) on ebay. Now, I was very much expecting the PCB on this keyboard to be too far gone considering it had multiple bubbles that had cracked and were exposing the inner layers of the board itself. Surely that would cause issues with the capacitive sensing right?

WRONG! This keyboard can not be killed!

Thats right, I connected the xwhatsit and it just works! Every key registers and nkro works fine. 8-) I have been typing all of this update on it!

If this keyboard sitting on a seasonally flooding basement floor of an abandoned building for 20+ years and still functioning after a cleaning isnt a shining example of IBM's legendary build quality than I dont know what is!

I have some more small things to finish on this keyboard...

TODO:
1. Repair the case so it can screw together again.
2. Re make the spacebar stabilizer
3. Color match the plastic door
4. Find / make a better fitting badge. Current one is off a old IBM typewriter.

Enjoy some photos below of my newly resurrected 3101 :D

I found an alternative use for the little door at the top as well.

zrrion

25 Oct 2021, 04:44

this is such a cool restoration project.

Sheepless

25 Oct 2021, 13:09

This is magnificent! Anyone typing on that keyboard is automatically transformed into a badass!

marcuso

25 Oct 2021, 15:48

Money cannot buy anything as cool as that! - such a nice job!

wobbled

25 Oct 2021, 17:07

Absolutely love the battered case, please never paint it and never let some soulless nut buy it who wants to give it the typical black paint job.

Wonderful!

Crizender

25 Oct 2021, 18:47

Wow, the before and after is incredible. Great job!

Erderm_

26 Oct 2021, 06:25

Thanks everyone!! It was a real PITA but also a labor of love, and I plan to keep the case exactly how it is right now. Unsure if clearcoating it is even necessary tbh.

Return to “Workshop”