Hmm, I've got a (not so?) crazy idea

ddrfraser1

20 Jun 2020, 21:44

So in the theme of getting way ahead of myself in the probably 20 different keyboard projects that i'm currently working on, I just thought of a neat project.

I've always been a fan of integrated keyboard desks such as the famous IBM 3741, we all love this fella, and others.

e4dc5bf8c80a4303c71d3088eb12f508.jpg
e4dc5bf8c80a4303c71d3088eb12f508.jpg (41.43 KiB) Viewed 5102 times
C8CR1SrXQAAlpWz.jpg
C8CR1SrXQAAlpWz.jpg (129.5 KiB) Viewed 5102 times

I always thought it would be so cool to have a desk like this. The only problem is, you've now got a keyboard for a desk... :? Not very versatile. But what if I built something sleek that fits the aestetic, installed it a bit lower then the surface of my desk and installed some glass above it to frame it in. I could use it when I want and when I need the utility of a regular surface, just pop the glass back on. Then the 'desk keybaord becomes kind of like a show piece.

I'm not about to start hacking up my beautiful desk but I did I just build my wife this desk as she's working from home so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

IMG_3049.jpg
IMG_3049.jpg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 5102 times

Ok, that's all for now. Don't hold your breath on this one. I may do it never, a year, or 6 months from now. However, one thing I've learned about myself in this hobby is once I get an idea in my head, it has a way of obsessing itself into reality.

Thanks for indulging my imagination :D
Attachments
IMG_2066.JPG
IMG_2066.JPG (106.24 KiB) Viewed 5102 times

JP!

20 Jun 2020, 22:53

It sounds like you might be a fan of when keyboards were desks :D

I have a couple ideas for my desk project. I was thinking of adding an enclosure with a minimal sized screen like those used with Raspberry Pi's that would fir on top of the desk.The enclosure would sort of be a tribute to the original screen of the 3741.

Also the 3741 can fit under a standing desk to be used as a keyboard like so. I made this feasible through the use of carpet furniture sliders.
Spoiler:
desk.jpg
desk.jpg (286.7 KiB) Viewed 5077 times

ddrfraser1

21 Jun 2020, 01:06

JP! wrote:
Spoiler:
desk.jpg
Oh man yes! Some great stuff here.

This is pretty close to what I had in mind. Just imagine something like this but with some glass on top of the keyboard that's level with the desk.
82e2e93e95a54243fc24de70f2d9cbd4.jpeg
82e2e93e95a54243fc24de70f2d9cbd4.jpeg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 5044 times

Heikkonen

21 Jun 2020, 10:23

I would want to see this become reality, sooner or later.

ddrfraser1

21 Jun 2020, 15:16

Heikkonen wrote:
21 Jun 2020, 10:23
I would want to see this become reality, sooner or later.
I kind of do too but I’m not sure where I would put it or what would go on it. I’ll have to give it more thought.

AJM

21 Jun 2020, 21:18

I had such an idea in the 80s, when I got my first computer (Amstrad CPC464). Because it had such a high case, I thought about cutting a hole in my desk, but never actually did it.
Although my priorities seem to have shifted - going from an flat Apple Aluminium keyboard to a mechanical one in an again quite high Apple M0110A case - I certainly would love to have an IBM 3741. The last (red) one is sexy, too, although I don't get the meaning of putting the desk on the cable car tracks in the middle of the road. (Does anyone know the name of this system?)

ddrfraser1

21 Jun 2020, 21:39

AJM wrote:
21 Jun 2020, 21:18
The last (red) one is sexy, too, although I don't get the meaning of putting the desk on the cable car tracks in the middle of the road. (Does anyone know the name of this system?)
It's the Amdhal 470V/7. I think it's just a marketing thing. In the days when Silicon Valley was on the rise and companies were trying to sell their new computers to corporations, an image like this was meant to convey that this was a real business machine for real successful business men of down town San Francisco. Want to work in the sexy financial district? Buy one of these! Also, cable cars are classy, so please associate our machine with being classy! I'd say it's working on me :D

ddrfraser1

21 Jun 2020, 21:47

Here's a few more pictures of Amdhals obstructing traffic and just generally being a nuisance.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (3.64 MiB) Viewed 4886 times
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (3.87 MiB) Viewed 4886 times
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (3.94 MiB) Viewed 4886 times

AJM

21 Jun 2020, 22:07

Thank you very much. That "working on the street" really was their "thing", it seems. :D
That also explains, why I had never heard of Amdahl before. Here in Europe there is certainly a law that forbits that kind of office furniture placement. ;)

ddrfraser1

21 Jun 2020, 22:39

AJM wrote:
21 Jun 2020, 22:07
Thank you very much. That "working on the street" really was their "thing", it seems. :D
That also explains, why I had never heard of Amdahl before. Here in Europe there is certainly a law that forbits that kind of office furniture placement. ;)
Oh yeah, we're nuts over here. We'll stick just about anything in the middle of traffic for the sake of capitalism :D

JP!

22 Jun 2020, 04:38

Outdoor desks are nice but how about a public typewriter / keyboard bar?

typewriterbar.jpg
typewriterbar.jpg (149.39 KiB) Viewed 4817 times

depletedvespene

22 Jun 2020, 04:47

JP! wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 04:38
Outdoor desks are nice but how about a public typewriter / keyboard bar?

typewriterbar.jpg
I finally know how to finance my keyboard adiction: by selling ear plugs!!! :lol:

TheInverseKey

22 Jun 2020, 06:51

I use to work on keyboards at my desk a lot and also needed to look up things on the googler as well. Then someone in the Canadian Discord messaged me about and Alps based keyboard that was used in a server rack that took up 1u. Also these were NOS which made the deal even better!

Interested they sent me a listing for an ELMA keyboard. These either have Bamboo SKCM White Alps or some form of Cherry switches.
Spoiler:
I mounted mine under my desk with the rails that it came with 4 L brackets and some screws. Now I can have a messy desk and still type.
Spoiler:
Rack Mounted Keyboard
Rack Mounted Keyboard
IMG_20200622_004141.jpg (3.35 MiB) Viewed 4779 times
Sorry for the mess... And the bad quality photo

DMA

24 Jun 2020, 23:49

ddrfraser1 wrote:
21 Jun 2020, 01:06
JP! wrote:
Spoiler:
desk.jpg
Oh man yes! Some great stuff here.

This is pretty close to what I had in mind. Just imagine something like this but with some glass on top of the keyboard that's level with the desk.

82e2e93e95a54243fc24de70f2d9cbd4.jpeg
Ooh, a portable!

kps

26 Jun 2020, 00:02

My WFH desk takes inspiration from these integrated desks. The keyboard is held in place at the sides, so the total thickness is that of the keyboard alone.
desk3.jpg
desk3.jpg (45.29 KiB) Viewed 4545 times

SneakyRobb
THINK

26 Jun 2020, 00:39

Interesting. As a sort of spacial location of the beamspring it makes us think. Traditional desks exist. If I buy a system, the keyboard et all must go somewhere, on the desk. So it sits ontop of my extant desk.

The typewriter is very tall, the beamspring switch is less, tall... but still tall. Like the typewriter. Where does it go? I can put it on the desk, but it will still be there. It will have height, its an on desk object. Its decorum. How do I make a splash, a change? How can I signal to everyone this product is different? I can lower it. Maybe it will lower into the desk? No, that's a cop out. What if we make it integral to the desk? and lower the entire console as part the desk..? We have found it. but how to achieve uniformity. We can certainly bury it into the desk but that makes a weird slung module sold to fit desk holes.... why not sell desks with the holes?

People buy our product why? Business. To lower business costs. IBM doesn't sell pieces, they sell systems. Systems, have parts, but they work in a certain way. Think of this like a modern macbook laptop. Its' a complete system. That to me, imho, is why you get this desk.

So that being said. For you OP. I think it's very dependent on what keyboard system you have. I don't want to say it like this, but this keyboard embedded into the desk, is exactly like a new macbook keyboard that is stuck into the frame, unlike a thinkpad with replaceable keyboard. This ibm system is a solution, a solution for business. The specifics don't matter to the user. It exists, as a product.

I think you should, given your, I assume limited beamspring supplies, find a general frame size. and make a new desk, or cut your current desk with such a hole, so that the various beamsprings you have fit into it. Then, fit a as you say, glass or other cover ontop, for when not in use.

Return to “Workshop”