Resin print keyboard parts factory

jsheradin

31 Jan 2021, 16:29

I've been working on fixing up an old TEC terminal that had a few broken/missing keys and sliders. Managed to get some pretty nice results after a couple test prints.

I printed the parts once and measured how far off the critical dimensions were from the actual model (it was consistently oversized by about 0.1 - 0.3 mm). I altered the CAD model by that value and got it (as far as I can measure) spot on for the second try. When designing these things, properly constrained models is an absolute must! Being able to change one single dimension without the rest of the model breaking/needing tweaking makes the whole process much easier.
Spoiler:
The cap/slider on the left is an original. The ones on the right are my clones. The old/new stems/caps can be interchanged and feel like they fit the same.

SneakyRobb
THINK

14 Feb 2021, 23:49

jsheradin wrote:
31 Jan 2021, 16:29
I've been working on fixing up an old TEC terminal that had a few broken/missing keys and sliders. Managed to get some pretty nice results after a couple test prints.

I printed the parts once and measured how far off the critical dimensions were from the actual model (it was consistently oversized by about 0.1 - 0.3 mm). I altered the CAD model by that value and got it (as far as I can measure) spot on for the second try. When designing these things, properly constrained models is an absolute must! Being able to change one single dimension without the rest of the model breaking/needing tweaking makes the whole process much easier.
Spoiler:
The cap/slider on the left is an original. The ones on the right are my clones. The old/new stems/caps can be interchanged and feel like they fit the same.
Hey, these are excellent prints! Good Job! This is exactly the great use case for resin. Replace small detailed parts. Excellent.

SneakyRobb
THINK

27 Mar 2021, 03:34

Hi,

I was thinking of how to exactly model and test model f flipper. Even if I model it, it's hard to really test with resin. I decided to get a 3D laser scan. While not perfect, it will be a useful mesh file to perfect my existing Cad file. I will get this STL up tomorrow for everyone. In addition to modifying the cad from before
Attachments
flipper_e.JPG
flipper_e.JPG (26.65 KiB) Viewed 1819 times
model_f_f.JPG
model_f_f.JPG (34.39 KiB) Viewed 1819 times
flipper_d.JPG
flipper_d.JPG (52.58 KiB) Viewed 1819 times

SneakyRobb
THINK

27 Mar 2021, 04:14

HI,

Here is 3D laser scan file. It cost a few many dollars to have made, but I am here to share.

It's a bit bumpy! This provides a good comparison point to further refine the previously shared model f model. Or maybe for you to make your own file for production. Using calipers and visual is only so good for making a 3d model of model f flipper. The working surfaces are small and need to be precise. I can now import this to cad software to try to fix the existing model. You can do this as well reader.

I wish that the community of keyboard people have many files such that things can be made by everyone.

Robb

https://grabcad.com/library/model-f-fli ... ser-scan-1

melka

27 Mar 2021, 14:44

Hi Robb,

Thanks for your work ! I already told you on discord that I used your alps models for checking fit in a custom case, that was incredibly helpful.

I also got a resin a week ago, and here's the first replacement part printed for a vintage keyboard. I'm converting a Rohde & Schwarz PCA-Z1 keyboard and since it's outputting a weird protocol, I decided to go with removing the MCU and using an STM32 Black Pill inside the case. I wanted to have a USB-C socket on the keyboard instead of a fixed cable, so I printed those parts.

The weird cogwheels are mounted on the side of the chassis, the lighter one in the middle is the original part.

And here it is with a USB socket.

I love my new resin printer !

SneakyRobb
THINK

27 Mar 2021, 22:07

melka wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 14:44
Hi Robb,

Thanks for your work ! I already told you on discord that I used your alps models for checking fit in a custom case, that was incredibly helpful.

I also got a resin a week ago, and here's the first replacement part printed for a vintage keyboard. I'm converting a Rohde & Schwarz PCA-Z1 keyboard and since it's outputting a weird protocol, I decided to go with removing the MCU and using an STM32 Black Pill inside the case. I wanted to have a USB-C socket on the keyboard instead of a fixed cable, so I printed those parts.

The weird cogwheels are mounted on the side of the chassis, the lighter one in the middle is the original part.

And here it is with a USB socket.

I love my new resin printer !
Hey that is super great to hear. Very excellent mod! Like that it still works with the original parts as well while being adapted.

SneakyRobb
THINK

27 Mar 2021, 22:08

Hi,

Here is my preliminary comparison from my previous CAD model to the 3d laser scan of the XT flipper.

You can see how the pivot points in particular didn't align. This is a great tool to use to compare!!

As well the ears on my model are actually a bit further back. My model worked functionally, but felt a bit weird. Now I can see why
Attachments
flapper pivot.JPG
flapper pivot.JPG (73.16 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
flapper c.JPG
flapper c.JPG (138.15 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
flapper b.JPG
flapper b.JPG (92.34 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
flapper.JPG
flapper.JPG (67.61 KiB) Viewed 1743 times

SneakyRobb
THINK

27 Mar 2021, 22:14

As well if I try to align those pivot points, other areas are not aligned!
Attachments
flapper try to align.JPG
flapper try to align.JPG (29.95 KiB) Viewed 1738 times

Return to “Workshop”