Though_Hole Controller Build Guide

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

15 Aug 2020, 22:06

I recently ordered a 5 PCB's and 5 sets of components to build the new through hole controller designed by listofoptions and kmnov.

I'm making this guide to help anyone that might intimidated by the thought of soldering together their own controller. I found the process quite enjoyable, and since the entire controller consists of through hole components its not very difficult even for newbies.

I ordered my PCB's from JLCPCB using the gerber file supplied in the through_hole workshop thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23406

I ordered my components from digi-key with kmnov's help. Here is the BOM list I made(corrected size resistor):
https://www.digikey.com/BOM/Create/Crea ... Id=8339277

To build this you will need the following tools:
  • Soldering station
  • Solder
  • Recommended: Solder helper(clips and arms)
  • Tweezers
  • Wire Cutters
Spoiler:
First step is to solder in the 74HCT595 and LM339N IC's:

I used a metal bar to bend the IC legs uniformly:

The tension of the IC legs will hold them in place:

First thing I do after inserting the IC's is to solder the diagonal pins to ensure they won't shift position:

When soldering the IC's you only need a small amount of solder:

Using too much can result in unsightly blobs(with the added downside of potentially shorting pins):

The next step is to solder in the MCP DAC, keep in mind not to lose this part as it is the most expensive:

Next step is the resistor array's:

I insert them and add a tiny bead of solder on the pin inside the square pad, so they won't fall out when flipping the board over. Keep in mind the dot on the array must match up with the square pad on the PCB.

After soldering in the resistor array's your board should look like this:

Next step is to solder in the capacitors. I insert them and bend the pins outward so they stay in place.

After soldering them I lift the pins and snip them off with my wire cutters:

Your controller should look like this now:

When soldering the 20K resistors I bend one of the pins downward and solder it in place on the PCB before solder both pins on the underside of the PCB:

Then I cut the ends off with my wire cutters:

Same process for the 4.7K resistors:

I had a tougher time with the 1K resistors as the leads on mine were too thick for the PCB. I decided to file them down:

Difference between filed down and normal size:

I used the clippings from the 20K resistors to connect the other end of the resistor to the controller:

That is all of the components besides the expansion header and pro micro:

I currently waiting on my pro micros. Once I receive them I will update the guide with software and installation instructions. Stay tuned for more!

Return to “Workshop”