Micro Switch SD collar

MMcM

04 Feb 2021, 05:45

I have been working on a board with SD switches. A half dozen of the switches don't operate. This is because someone has installed some sort of inhibitor on them.
SD-collar-on-switch.jpg
SD-collar-on-switch.jpg (459.32 KiB) Viewed 2266 times
A bit of plastic wraps around the plunger and inserts in a way that prevents it going into the switch itself.

They are relatively easy to remove and so obviously intended to be temporary / configurable.
SD-collar.jpg
SD-collar.jpg (562.66 KiB) Viewed 2266 times
Most of the switches that have them also have blank caps. But not all, so it was installed for known functionality of the system that some station wasn't allowed to use.

Has anyone else ever seen these? Do they have a real name in price lists or other literature?

John Doe

04 Feb 2021, 06:19

Normally the keys could work like other working keys when you remove the, emm, lock. Surely the sensors are not different with others as well.

At least that's what I found on my SD board, I did find one.

JP!

04 Feb 2021, 06:59

I've never seen these before. Cool find :) What board did you find these in or would that be too much of a spoiler for the time being? Reminds me of the collars I found for Alps switches.

alps.jpg
alps.jpg (41.79 KiB) Viewed 2243 times

kbdfr
The Tiproman

04 Feb 2021, 07:56

MMcM wrote:
04 Feb 2021, 05:45
[…] some sort of inhibitor […]
A bit of plastic wraps around the plunger and inserts in a way that prevents it going into the switch itself.

They are relatively easy to remove and so obviously intended to be temporary / configurable. […]

Has anyone else ever seen these? […]
There are similar easily removable blockers under some caps of the Raptor K1 (which is a special edition of the Cherry G80-1800):

(pic from a Geekhack thread).

mcmaxmcmc

04 Feb 2021, 20:29

Wew... impaled... that's quite a design. I haven't seen them personally, but that's interesting.

Return to “Workshop”